Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Mark Stone signs 1 year contract (1yr $7.35M)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man as it stands right now Ottawa's next off-season is going to be brutal.

I know these things usually change, but still, damn.
Dorion should have quite an easy summer. All he is going to have to do is find a way to the cap floor. If he doesn't want to take on bad contracts he can just sign a bunch of vets to overpaid one year deals

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
It's been a stunning fall. I don't know that I've ever felt bad for another fanbase before in over 30 decades of being a hockey fan, but this summer has me feeling awful for Sens & Isles fans, the latter of which is a divisional rival.

I'm understandably suspicious.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
At this point can only hope the constant sale rumours come to fruition.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ridiculous. Stone is one of those guys you have to lock up and now he's as good as gone. Gotta feel for Sens fans, no fanbase deserves this. Melnyk selling is the only thing that can save them at this point.

I wonder if Stone becomes trade bait this season if it's apparent that he's going to free agency. Would love to get him on the Oilers if they could magically offload Lucic's contract.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Stone can now be signed to an extension at any time, rather than having to wait until January 1st. Plus arbitration’s are never good for a player-team relationship.

Nevertheless, interested to hear how the very large anti-Sens crowd spins this as a bad move.
It's not anti-Sens. It's common sense. 1-year contract before UFA means bye bye in any organization in the league.

Reactions: bert

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Huge rebuild ahead. I expect they'll trade Duchene, Stone and Karlsson between now and the trade deadline for a bunch of futures. They might want to keep them right to the deadline to avoid giving the Avs as good a shot at Hughes and to reach the cap floor.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The team is being sold. Finalized before they can negotiate a long term deal with Stone.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nevertheless, interested to hear how the very large anti-Sens crowd spins this as a bad move.

There aren't very many Anti-Sens people. In fact, there are numerous people who feel bad for Sens fans having to put up with their dumpster fire ownership.

As for the spin, there's not much to spin. They signed the guy to a one year deal that'll take him to UFA. Either he doesn't want to be there or they don't want to pay him. Either way he's gone next year.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
giphy.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Colorado could really make an awesome trade and snag both Stone and Karlsson, No?

We probably could but I'd prefer not to.

Dont think we're in a position to be trading a tonne of futures quite yet and especially not for two guys that appear set on heading into free agency next summer. No doubt Ottawa getting its 1st back in a deal for one of those guys would be something they'd definitely want to do.

Avs should be content to ride this next season out. We've got a lot of good prospects that will be on the way to help for the 2019/2020 season(Makar, Kaut, Timmins, and Bowers all stand good chances of being ready for NHL action by that time). Best to just ride this season out, further evaluate the kids we have and then come up with a plan to move towards contender status in the summer of 2019.

Especially if Ottawa's pick does wind up Top 5 or Top 10, we'll have a plethora of future assets that could be made available to target out biggest needs.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Brutal for Sens fans. Only a 1 year contract on a core player becoming a UFA, dudes gone next year.

They'll lose Stone and Karlsson for peanuts with Dorian at the helm and who knows what Duchene will do. Will probably lose all 3 by July 2019 and have not much to show for it.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Overpayment for the guy, for sure.

But it doesn't matter much. He and Karlsson and Duchene will all be gone from Ottawa soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad