Confirmed Trade: [OTT/LA] Phaneuf (25% Retained) + Thompson for Gaborik + Shore

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Phaneuf is still the best player in this deal therefore LA wins...his contract blows and realistically he probably won't make LA that much better. That's 2 scrap deals in a row for Phaneuf, what kind of expectations can one really have?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Gaborik's contract is more flexible and easier to buy out, add in I am fairly certain Gaborik will hurt this team less than Phaneuf has to date(being exposed for sub par foot speed on a regular basis on the back end) so im happy with the trade as a Sens fan. Hope it works out for LA as well.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Gaborik's contract is more flexible and easier to buy out, add in I am fairly certain Gaborik will hurt this team less than Phaneuf has to date(being exposed for sub par foot speed on a regular basis on the back end) so im happy with the trade as a Sens fan. Hope it works out for LA as well.

Kinda amazing that one year ago, the Sens(and Habs) were at the top of the eastern conference and the Sens even went deep in the playoffs. Now a year later, both teams are at the bottom and trying to trade everyone they can. What happened?

The problem CAN'T be Dion Phaneuf. One "decent but not elite" player cannot sway a team that far in both directions. There are obviously multiple issues with both of these clubs.

So blaming Phaneuf for "hurting the team" is not very fair, I'd say. There's a team-wide problem there.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Kinda amazing that one year ago, the Sens(and Habs) were at the top of the eastern conference and the Sens even went deep in the playoffs. Now a year later, both teams are at the bottom and trying to trade everyone they can. What happened?

The problem CAN'T be Dion Phaneuf. One "decent but not elite" player cannot sway a team that far in both directions. There are obviously multiple issues with both of these clubs.

So blaming Phaneuf for "hurting the team" is not very fair, I'd say.
Our best player having his ankle screwed together is what happened...Any team would suffer if their best player went through what EK did this offseason

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Our best player having his ankle screwed together is what happened...Any team would suffer if their best player went through what EK did this offseason

Well sure. That's a major blow to the team. So what does Phaneuf have to do with that? Dion is just Dion, and plays how he plays. Its not his fault Karlsson's ankle is such a mess. He can't be relied on to pick up the slack for THAT.

I think Phaneuf is still a pretty good player, and he's being shat on unfairly. LA was smart to grab him for nothing.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well sure. That's a major blow to the team. So what does Phaneuf have to do with that? Dion is just Dion, and plays how he plays. Its not his fault Karlsson's ankle is such a mess. He can't be relied on to pick up the slack for THAT.
Without EK our best offensive driver,we have virtuallly no offense...Injuries thoughout the top 6 all season long,inexperience or just too old and slow on the blueline....This season is a washout,doesnt mean the team cant be far better next season...Just as many this year could be worse

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think Phaneuf is still a pretty good player, and he's being shat on unfairly. LA was smart to grab him for nothing.

I'm sure Phaneuf will rebound nicely in LA but nothing that the poster said was wrong. He was absolutely correct in saying Phanuef had been exposed and that was largely due to a lack of foot speed. The Phanuef prior to this year will be missed but the player from this season will not be. LA is probably a better situation for him, I think he will be fine.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa has a problem with Melnyk and from the looks of it the other problem for both teams was the two high profile players talking about getting paid. No pro should ever talk like that in public and most times, teams with a player like that stumble the year of the comment. Happens all the time.

Dion is still an OK D in my books. 4.5m would be good

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Almost everyone in Sens jersey with the exception of Stone and Dzingel have had a terrible season. Phaneuf was not worth $7M in cap space during his Sens tenure, but he was a key contributor for the Sens run to ECF. Phaneuf is still a useful top-4, and an solid 4th defenceman in a contending roster.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is Blake trying to replace Matt Greene/Willie Mitchell's presence. Still no replacement for Slava Voynov though.

LA replaced some of what Greene and Mitchell provided when they acquired McNabb... and then Blake let him go for nothing just last Summer. Nine months later, McNabb is an important cog on one of the best teams in the league, Forbort (whom Blake protected, instead) has been very disappointing and Blake has had to very expensively (with over twice the cap hit) plug the hole that he made nine months ago.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
What happened to Gaborik? I guess this trade is illustrating how crazy it is to give these players such long term, high dollar contracts. It is a trade of 'bad contracts' for another bad contract. Gaborik would never be traded for Phaneuf unless he was on a major downswing in his career. Phaneuf is just an awful dman and he was with the Leafs and then with the Sens. Some fans say the Kings' system will fit him. The Kings better pray for that.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn't have Phaneuf on any team of mine. His speed is gone and he can't keep up on even medium speedy forwards on the forecheck. He only going to decline further.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Did not think OTT would be able to move Phaneuf and that contract...wonder if (how much) they're retaining?
Crazy that Phaneuf has been traded twice now under that contract. Just goes to show not all awful contracts for active players are immovable.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What happened to Gaborik? I guess this trade is illustrating how crazy it is to give these players such long term, high dollar contracts. It is a trade of 'bad contracts' for another bad contract. Gaborik would never be traded for Phaneuf unless he was on a major downswing in his career. Phaneuf is just an awful dman and he was with the Leafs and then with the Sens. Some fans say the Kings' system will fit him. The Kings better pray for that.

Gaborik signed that contract after scoring 14 goals in the Kings 2014 Cup run; he got term from Lombardi in order to deflate the cap hit in an attempt to keep the whole team together. He looked phenomenal and was poised to cash in on the open market somehow, but after seeing what we saw, not surprised at all DL tried to keep together the band and a winger who had great chemistry with Kopitar. He also followed that up with 27 goals the next year though the injuries reared their ugly head again. Since then, he's just on again, off again; comes back from injury, looks phenomenal, gets hurt, comes back, looks terrible. He's aging which isn't helping, but he's an enigma at the best of times. He can go 5 games doing nothing but turn the puck over, then play the next 3 as vintage Gaborik. It's maddening, heh.

Not so sure the system itself will fit Phaneuf better but we definitely need his anger and another guy who can eat some minutes. He'll be a #4-#5 in LA and maybe being more insulated will help him too.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why didn't Dion then waive his NTC or NMC in the summer in order to get exposed in the expansion draft? He waived it anyway now to facilitate this deal. Why didn't he waive in the summer if he is waiving now? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Why didn't Dion then waive his NTC or NMC in the summer in order to get exposed in the expansion draft? He waived it anyway now to facilitate this deal. Why didn't he waive in the summer if he is waiving now? Or am I missing something?

Maybe he didn't want the possibility of being taken by Vegas in the expansion draft and has no problem being traded to LA.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

There's been no report of him having to waive his modified NTC, he submits a 12 team trade list. It's likely LA was on that list and theres plenty of reasons why established players wouldn't want to go to an expansion team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There's been no report of him having to waive his modified NTC, he submits a 12 team trade list. It's likely LA was on that list and theres plenty of reasons why established players wouldn't want to go to an expansion team.

Maybe he didn't want the possibility of being taken by Vegas in the expansion draft and has no problem being traded to LA.

OK, thanks for the responses. Theoretically, he knew that Vegas wouldn't pick him up anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
everytime a Phaneuf scores a goal, a Leafs fan loses his wings

images

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006

Maybe don't build your team around 1 player? What you are saying is 1 player is the difference between being a playoff team and being at the bottom of the league. Trading that 1 guy and building a more solid team will give you more success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad