Confirmed Trade: [OTT/LA] Phaneuf (25% Retained) + Thompson for Gaborik + Shore

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Phaneuf is closer to a bottom pairing dman on a contending team than he is a top 4 d-man. Also Thompson is a cap dump and Shore is better and cheaper. And with the money saved OTT can replace Phaneuf easily. This is a win in my book for OTT. I didn't see Toronto fall off after trading Phaneuf and neither should OTT. Also, Gaborik if he's healthy could help as his point totals aren't too bad.

Come on this is mean-spirited. A bottom pairing D on a contender? Wasn't he a top 4 on a OTT team that almost eliminated Pitt?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
edit: oops forgot some stops for Bondra.

Honestly, if Gaborik heals up, he might be better than Phaneuf.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dion is payed too much and declining and hes not a 1-3 D but hes still a 4-6 nhl Dman, and he plays and isnt injured half the year, hes only worth about 2mill and is overpaid by a lot but he can still play some hockey

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Come on this is mean-spirited. A bottom pairing D on a contender? Wasn't he a top 4 on a OTT team that almost eliminated Pitt?
That team clearly got lucky. On a consistent contender he's a #5 at best. He's arguably the slowest skater in the league and getting slower and his team bleeds shots when he's on the ice. Watch Ceci will look much better now and Sens will be better defensively.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Amazing how a fringe NHLer helped stabilize the Sens D into the playoffs last year and earned huge praise from everyone in the organization during their run. Now with Methot gone, Karlsson playing like trash and Anderson falling off, Phaneuf has nothing of value, even at 5.25.

I could be wrong and lets see how he fits in with LA but you may be underrating him just a little.

if he was considered more than just a fringe NHLer wouldn't he have returned more than a washed up injury prone Gaborik ?

Jan 21, 2018
if he was considered more than just a fringe NHLer wouldn't he have returned more than a washed up injury prone Gaborik ?

wow I guess Filip Forsberg must be a fringe NHLer since he only returned a washed up injury prone Erat

I guess there's zero chance the Sens made a bad trade. If they acquired a crappy player then that means the Sens had to have given up a crappy player too, because every NHL trade made is equal in terms of value no exception.

:help:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Given it some time to digest.

Gaborik was a healthy scratch so his salary was a complete waste. Hopefully he regains some form elsewhere but getting out of that is huge for LA. Dion has regressed however the difference between cap hits is what 500K, so even if he can play 15 minutes a night that is 15 minutes that LA was not getting out of a 4.875M cap hit at the cost of $500K. So seems worth it.

This aligns LA's D a little bit better and D was as a larger need area for the Kings. Overall I like this trade but I wouldn't be surprised if it make little actual difference to the kings. Cannot hurt though.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
LA was able to take a declining asset in Robyn Regehr and get some quality play from him for a couple seasons; though that was in a more defensive approach under Darryl Sutter.

Can they do it again with Dion Phaneuf? [mod]

Time will tell.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This thread is stuck for half a day, involves two big names, yet, the Leafs can trade two minor leaguers and the thread is stuck for half a week.

Bravo

Kings win this one.

Rooting for them to win the Cup so it stays with either Kings, Pens, or Hawks

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
wow I guess Filip Forsberg must be a fringe NHLer since he only returned a washed up injury prone Erat

I guess there's zero chance the Sens made a bad trade.
If they acquired a crappy player then that means the Sens had to have given up a crappy player too, because every NHL trade made is equal in terms of value no exception.

:help:

yea poor Dion is always being traded in bad deals , lol

- flames made a bad trade when all they got back was scraps for him
- leafs made a bad trade when all they got back was scraps while having to take back short term cap dumps

and now

- sens made a bad deal because they had to retain salary while also taking back an equally bad contract

how many times does he have to get traded for scraps/crap and cap dumps before people realize why ?

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I have thought about this for a while. The kings needed another vet defense man. One with some grit and can help the pp Dion can do this. He may have lost a step or two but this is a kings team that plays defense first so he will have forwards coming back to help. In his interview before he left he said he was extremely excited to go to la He must have said it 4 times in the 3 mins clip. To me he sounds motivated to show his new team he can help. A motivated Dion is something i think hasn't happened in a while. This is something i think people are underestimating. I think if La uses Dion right we will win this trade hands down.

Reactions: KingTrouty

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

i wouldnt say #5 but i would say #4 dman

we also had the perfect storm last year with our defence, where boro was injured, we had no oduya, we were not playing oduya on our top pairing, oduya was not on this team and we were actually playing dmen with some skill in claesson and wideman

it gave us a nice balance, not with our third pairing being complete shit it just adds more pressure to the other two pairings and phaneuf-ceci were never good to begin with

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Genuflexion

Aug 20, 2017
Hmm this deal made a lot more sense for the Sens when I thought Gaborik was only signed until next year

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Would you say yes to going to a new expansion team after being a game 7 OT winning goal short of playing in the Cup Final? I bet ya it's resounding no as a lot of competitive players would still want to win a Stanley Cup. No one ever thought that Vegas was going to end up making the playoffs.

he said no to waving his nmc when asked by the Sens so they could protect Methot , the Knights would never have taken him had he waived and been left unprotected

unfortunately Dion was too stupid/arrogant to realize this and it cost the Sens Methot

Last edited:

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
People are missing the point of this trade. It's not to dump one players salary onto another. Who is gonna take Phaneuf and Gaborik's contract horrible contracts up front and give up a good one in return? No sane GM. It was a small shake up for both teams. Especially LA. Moving Gaborik sends a message to LA who has been in free fall since December, that it doesn't matter if you helped them win a Cup, or have a horrible contract -- we'll find a way to move you.

Neither team wins anything, because they weren't expecting to get a better player in return.

Even Bergevin can see that.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I cant remember but does La run 2 D on the PP? If so Drew and Dion could be lethal

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This is Blake trying to replace Matt Greene/Willie Mitchell's presence. Still no replacement for Slava Voynov though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad