News Article: Ott in limbo

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Looking back on facts like these, it's no wonder why people don't/didn't like coming into our organization. It would be nice to bring credibility and integrity back to the Sabres franchise.

As for Ott, wouldn't it be nice to keep a captain around for a contract extension for a change :)
Just to be accurate, it appears as though Gerbe was told over the phone, while his agent was told via email.
Jordan Neumann says he was informed by email of the Sabres' plans on Wednesday, and added the team told Gerbe by phone. The move caught Neumann by surprise after general manager Darcy Regier indicated several times he had no plans to buy out any contracts.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...rbe-buffalo-sabres-having-contract-bought-out

I still think that telling a 5 year veteran of your franchise that he's being bought out over the phone is poor business form.

I sure would have liked to have seen Gerbe with Nolan directing him. We could use a few goals, Gerbe is tied for the 'Canes lead with 6. We could use some more shots on goal, Gerbe leads the 'Canes with 82. Stafford leads the Sabres in shots with only 68.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Gerbe was horrible when he came back from injury, no ifs ands or maybes.

We moved on from someone who sucked for our team.

Good for him that he found a home, but he could've just as easily took the Kennedy route and fade into obscurity.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Just to be accurate, it appears as though Gerbe was told over the phone, while his agent was told via email. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...rbe-buffalo-sabres-having-contract-bought-out

I still think that telling a 5 year veteran of your franchise that he's being bought out over the phone is poor business form.

I sure would have liked to have seen Gerbe with Nolan directing him. We could use a few goals, Gerbe is tied for the 'Canes lead with 6. We could use some more shots on goal, Gerbe leads the 'Canes with 82. Stafford leads the Sabres in shots with only 68.

This is nonsense. It's business. They called him and told him. That's perfectly sufficient. The email thing is pretty weaksauce, but a phone call is perfectly fine.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Gerbe was horrible when he came back from injury, no ifs ands or maybes.

We moved on from someone who sucked for our team.

Good for him that he found a home, but he could've just as easily took the Kennedy route and fade into obscurity.

This is nonsense. It's business. They called him and told him. That's perfectly sufficient. The email thing is pretty weaksauce, but a phone call is perfectly fine.

Agree and agree. I like Gerbe, but I am glad he's no longer a Sabre.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

A phone call is standard for something like this, especially during the off season.

Do we even know if Gerbe was in Buffalo when the decision was made?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Would have been a 10 page thread had Regier still been here. This doesn't even anger me... although Mike Schopp did say he knew for a fact a team at the end of the 1st round offered a 1st for Ott but Ott was untouchable.

So fast forward a couple months and now Regier doesn't get him signed? Typical. But I'm not angry....

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
A phone call is standard for something like this, especially during the off season.

Do we even know if Gerbe was in Buffalo when the decision was made?
I'm going off of memory, but I made that comment under the assumption that he was in Buffalo. If he wasn't in Buffalo, well, that's fine, obviously.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Would have been a 10 page thread had Regier still been here. This doesn't even anger me... although Mike Schopp did say he knew for a fact a team at the end of the 1st round offered a 1st for Ott but Ott was untouchable.

So fast forward a couple months and now Regier doesn't get him signed? Typical. But I'm not angry....

He's still a 1st at deadline, I bet. So what did we lose. I'd sign to a four-year deal, overpay to keep it short

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Agents represent players, and to email the agent rather than call him is absolutely pathetic. Steve Bartlett had a great interview on WGR yesterday, talking about the whole D'Agostini/Tropp situation, considering he represents both players. To think about a guy like him receiving an email regarding the buyout of one of his players is straight up embarrassing for the Sabres organization.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006

Just like Schopp said that Drew Stafford had been traded to Washington at last year's deadline according to his sources.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Agents represent players, and to email the agent rather than call him is absolutely pathetic. Steve Bartlett had a great interview on WGR yesterday, talking about the whole D'Agostini/Tropp situation, considering he represents both players. To think about a guy like him receiving an email regarding the buyout of one of his players is straight up embarrassing for the Sabres organization.

This came up before when Gerbe was bought-out, but the CBA stipulates that notice of a buy-out be sent to the agent through e-mail. I suppose you could give them a phone call too if you wanted, but an e-mail is required

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Pretty strong opinions for a guy who's never had a single conversation with an agent or a GM.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Im in the boat that would forgo a late 1st rounder, and would prefer to re-sign Ott, and begin providing some good long term veteran stability for our young core to develop around.

Knowing that the cost won't be something that hinders the team long term, I hope it's something they get done quickly as soon as a new GM is hired.

I'd re-sign Tallinder as well (for the same reasons)
... and McCormick

Ott @ 4 yrs / 4 million per
Tallinder @ 2 yrs / 3 million per
McCormick @ 2 yrs / 1 million per

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Thats my problem also. I have yet to take Ott wearing the C seriously.

What would a captain have to do to be taken seriously? Honest question.

I think it's hard to take a lot of what the team has done, this season, seriously. I don't dislike Ott in the captaincy role, but he shared that with TV for the majority of the season. What's the next step for him to be taken seriously?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What would a captain have to do to be taken seriously? Honest question.

I think it's hard to take a lot of what the team has done, this season, seriously. I don't dislike Ott in the captaincy role, but he shared that with TV for the majority of the season. What's the next step for him to be taken seriously?
I really dont know. I know he has worn the A for other teams. Losing has a lot to do with it. In a perfect world our captain is home grown, but like Drury and Briere winning means everything.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I definitely want to re-sign Ott. We can't go into next season with a bunch of rookies who aren't ready to play. We made that mistake already earlier in the year.

Free Agency is risky. No one's going to want to sign here. We'll have to over pay for left overs.

Ott plays with heart, grit, and motivation. Those are qualities we want all of our youngsters to play with. He can also fill-in the top-6 if need be. I'm not sure a first rounder is worth losing that. Especially considering how young our team will be.

He's better than any one we'll get in free agency, and he's a leader on this team.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
4x4 ideally
I doubt he signs for that. Gaustad got 4x3.25 while being half the player and when the cap was far less than what it will be in the next few years. Buffalo like Nashville is desperate to keep veteran talent around and Rolston was awesome enough to name him captain and further increase his value to the team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Trade him and bring him back in July if you truly want to keep him around. Ott's a smart guy, he understands the business.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn't mind Ott back. At this point, more draft picks don't interest me as much as targeting specific players to start building around, be they UFA or trade targets. All those second rounders? They could be shopping for guys at the draft rather than using them on more prospects to put into their already bursting pipeline.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Trade him and bring him back in July if you truly want to keep him around. Ott's a smart guy, he understands the business.

Unrealistic choice

Between the 2 realistic choices, I'd prefer to re-sign him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad