Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Vladimir Tarasenko signs with the Senators (1 year, $5M)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There is no reason to think that Tarasenko suddenly brought down the locker room a full year after his trade request was out in the open with no issues. If it was an issue it would have affected the previous year.
He was pissy because he thought that he did what they asked by having good year to build his value and they still didn't deal him. And then they gave big $ to Kyrou and Thomas and never offered him a new contract and that upset him too (as he acknowledged in interviews after he was dealt). He SHOULD have been enough of a pro to not sulk and infect entire room, but he clearly wasn't. As multiple folks close to the club have reported. If you don't think this was major factor in Blues downfall last year I don't know what else to tell you.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
i think this will work out well for OTT
It really should. At very least it will be mediocre, and both sides amicably decide to part ways after the end of his 1yr deal. The chances of a bunch of randomly connected events happening in the future to make this a bad signing are very friggin slim, imo.

He's really not that far removed from being the leading scorer on incredibly deep Stl Blues team (only last season in between). 82pts in 75gp, a career year.

People seemed to say the EXACT same negative things about Giroux when he signed last year in Ottawa. He was done a star as being a star. And he proceeded to have a career high year in goals and looked dominant as ever. And he was 33 then, and Tank is only 31 now, fwiw.

Dude clearly wants it (he's been calling roster players on the Sens asking them how bad they want to win). Hes bet on himself with the 1yr deal. He has a huge (future) contract on the line this season, because clearly he has some doubters. Tank has more to lose here than the Sens do.

And he's got a juicy chance to play with some very talented top 6 linemates in Ottawa. Hate all you want but that's undeniable if you aren't completely biased. Realistically he needs to be Ottawas 5th or 6th best forward - and your kidding yourself if you do think he can at least be that.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa was a fun team to watch that just got more fun to watch. If Josh Norris can get healthy and stay healthy, maybe the long wait is finally over for Sens fans. Good signing. Like the 1 year too.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa was a fun team to watch that just got more fun to watch. If Josh Norris can get healthy and stay healthy, maybe the long wait is finally over for Sens fans. Good signing. Like the 1 year too.
I feel like this is a cloud over some excitement I feel. Chychrun too. And those are 2 major pieces.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I feel like this is a cloud over some excitement I feel. Chychrun too. And those are 2 major pieces.
Ottawa have the talent, they need to start putting up the W's in season now. I didn't feel they were ready to make the playoff jump last season, I do feel this season is a make it or break it one. Norris needs to be healthy though. He's a vital cog. But yes, some fun players to watch for sure.

Reactions: armani

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I suspect it was something like that. I don't think he would fire the agent if the agent were following his instructions. Without knowing for sure, it seems like the agent must have been making some decisions without running it past Tank.

Or, Tank might just be delusional. Who knows.

I would imagine the agent keeps the player in the loop. The contracts were likely presented to to Tarasenko but his agent likely advised him to hold out for more and then the offers got lost and as a result he got fired

Reactions: gab6511

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa have the talent, they need to start putting up the W's in season now. I didn't feel they were ready to make the playoff jump last season, I do feel this season is a make it or break it one. Norris needs to be healthy though. He's a vital cog. But yes, some fun players to watch for sure.
I personally think they were ready until norris went down and it exposed the depth. Poor pinto was thrust into a pressure filled spot as a rookie.

And shitbird talbot crapped the bed the likes of which haven't been seen since in a while.

Edit: i guess we weren't ready by the definition then

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Ottawa is building the ultimate glass cannon.

They prioritize players who don't play defense because they're cheaper than the equivalent player who also plays defense.

Then, they add a backup goalie to be their starter and pray for the best. It's the exact same issue as last year, except DeBrincat is a better producer than Tarasenko and Ottawa's goaltending is arguably worse.
Not sure they “prioritize” them, but they do have an issue with breaking down, and when it happens, it’s a flood of mistakes.

They’re young though. It’s those young guys who have to become great 200’ players. They absolutely have enough to make the playoffs, and because they have enough guys who are hard to play against, they can do some damage.

The big problem I see, and it’s glaring sometimes. When their d-core breaks down, they don’t have that guy who snaps them out of it. I’m a big Chabot and Sanderson guy BUT, you wanna see them take control more. Especially Chabot, as Sanderson still matures. Hamonic is a good vet to have in the room but he can’t do it on the ice.. Those two I mentioned are the in-house guys who are going to have to take control more. Especially in a series. Chychrun isn’t that player and Zub is Zub.

If they have one piece they really need at the deadline this year?? It’s to go get their Brayden McNabb. Doesn’t even have to play McNabb’s style, but a veteran who picks the young guys up when they need it. Who changes the way the group thinks about themselves. Sanderson has a lot of those qualities to be the D-core leader, but he’s still maturing. Chabot may never become that player. He’s more in the mold of a Shea Theodore. He just does his thing really well, and can drive his pair, but not sure he can ever drive the entire D-Core. Sanderson on the other hand, has those qualities. He just needs more experience and to mature more. Having a guy like McNabb would do wonders for Sanderson’s development into the leader of that d-core.

As for their forwards, it’s on those young leaders to step up their own games, and show they can be the 200’ players they’ll need to be. Most of these crazy breakdowns they do have, are youth driven though.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Stützle as 2C?

Tarasenko is a solid add but I don’t think their middle-6 wingers scare anyone.
Mix and match the lines however you wish. Point is we can have 3 balanced lines that are dangerous. Can always stack up the top 6 but for the first time in forever we have talented depth. Not just lunch pail depth but young talent on top 3 lines.

As a sens fan this is exciting.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Goaltending is terrible.

Depth is questionable.

The defense is ok, but not sure there is a good mix of defensive play and offensive.

Still have to prove they can win consistently.

Tkachuk is one of the most overrated players.

I think overall the names are better than the team.
Lots to unpack here…

Tkatchuk not Stutzle is the most valuable player on the team. He drags his teammates in to battle, physical monster, opens space for everyone, great finisher and everyone on the team grows 2” watching him. They simultaneously have more battle trying to match his play. Gets the rat rep due to his brother, he’s not that at all, big, tough, loyal and loves the game. You don’t see the cheap shots from him.

Goaltending TBD till we see Korpisalo however a healthy Forsberg is underated. Gives MerIlainen and Sogaard time to steal a spot.

Super young team, gonna make mistakes but learn from them. Consistency should come with age while Giroux guides them. Gonna be exciting.

biggest concern is coaching and Dorion making pro deals

Forward depth is ridiculous full stop. 4th line is young they’re big bodies. Kastelic, Sokolov, Ostapchuk, Joseph, Kell.y is nice to pick from. Matthew Joseph (although I hate his contract) is one helluva 4th liner. Top 4 D are on the good possibly great side if Sanderson improves even more and Chabot does better with fewer minutes. Hamonic solid bottom pairing while Brannstrom may Be gone for cap space. Kleven / JBD / Thomson step in

Reactions: Pinto Bean

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I felt they were playoff-bound last off-season, but losing Norris (and Formenton) hurt them a lot. I'm pretty confident they would have made the playoffs under better circumstances.

Tarasenko should come close to replacing DeBrincat's 22-23 production
Norris should be healthy
Pinto should be better in a 3rd line role
Korpisalo should be better than Talbot
Kubalik should replace Formenton
A full year of Chychrun should help a lot too

Lots of shoulds, but that's really all we can go off of right now. Ottawa should be able to make up 6+ points in the standings with all that IMO.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I felt they were playoff-bound last off-season, but losing Norris (and Formenton) hurt them a lot. I'm pretty confident they would have made the playoffs under better circumstances.

Tarasenko should come close to replacing DeBrincat's 22-23 production
Norris should be healthy
Pinto should be better in a 3rd line role
Korpisalo should be better than Talbot
Kubalik should replace Formenton
A full year of Chychrun should help a lot too

Lots of shoulds, but that's really all we can go off of right now. Ottawa should be able to make up 6+ points in the standings with all that IMO.

I'm sure there's other teams that could have made the playoffs as well assuming no injuries

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
If you dont want him judged as a #1, your fanbase should stop hyping him as one. He has a long way to go.
How many games have you watched him play or are you just regurgitating someone else's talking points?

LOL.

Chabot Sanderson Chycrun Brannstrom Hamonic….

The top 5 alone is better than most of what the entire league has.

The Ottawa D is heavily underrated all because Talbot couldn’t stop anything last year when the team refused to give him the 5m+ per year he was begging for.

Their D is freaking better than Boston. It’s arguably said only Buffalo has a better D in the division.

Toronto o’reilly plus scraps.

Tampa Hedman plus scraps.

Florida even Ekblad is borderline scraps.

Boston average top 2 plus scraps.

Buffalo. Solid at the top.

Detroit better than last years top 4.

Montreal. One big f***ing mess.
Yikes!

• Haha
Reactions: PatLaFontaineASMR

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Taylor Hall path. If the team is not a playoff team then be traded at the trade deadline to a contender. Win-win.
Looking forward to revisiting this post this season when the bruins go in with Zacha Coyle as their 1,2 punch down the middle.

He was pissy because he thought that he did what they asked by having good year to build his value and they still didn't deal him. And then they gave big $ to Kyrou and Thomas and never offered him a new contract and that upset him too (as he acknowledged in interviews after he was dealt). He SHOULD have been enough of a pro to not sulk and infect entire room, but he clearly wasn't. As multiple folks close to the club have reported. If you don't think this was major factor in Blues downfall last year I don't know what else to tell you.
So he sulked for 1 season the other 10 he was good....? Now he is going to a new team with alot of motivation... Sounds good to me as a sens fan.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Eh, this isnt the Tarasenko of 5-6 years ago.
Even if he only scores 25 goals, he'll be joining a forward group who have posted the following goal-scoring seasons in the last two years:
- Stutzle, 39 & 22
- Tkachuk, 35 & 30
- Giroux, 35 & 21
- Norris, 2 & 35 (37 goals in 74 games total)
- Batherson, 22 & 17 (17 in 46)
- Pinto, 20 & 0 (in 5 games)
- Kubalik, 20 & 15

Sens were pretty middle of the road last year and have subtracted Debrincat (27 goals) while adding Norris, Tarasenko, and Kubalik. Pinto might not score as much, although I am sure he will score more than 20 many times in his career, Giroux could see a regression of 10+ goals, and Stü & Tkachuk likely won't improve on their goal totals (might score a few less), but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that Norris, Tarasenko, and Kubalik will add an extra 30 goals, if not more, over the 27 Debrincat provided. Batherson also has a real shot at hitting 30 imo, he was our best player before his injury and has been way below that level since. This is around the time where he should be getting back to 100% and I think he will have a real chip on his shoulder after last season.

We will also score more from the back-end. Chychrun scores about 15 goals per 82, and Sanderson should chip in a few more.

I don't expect Ottawa to be a top 5-10 team in scoring, but probably somewhere in the 10-15 range. Anything more than 20 goals from Tarasenko is gravy.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Declining player who doesn’t play D. I couldn’t wait for the Blues to trade him. Still can’t believe we got a 1st for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad