Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Josh Norris signs extension with the Senators (8 years, $7.95M AAV)

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Did you mean Batherson's contract? Brannstrom hasn't been resigned yet.

Batherson yes lol.

I don’t think many expect him to continue shooting at 20%. I think 15% is a reasonable expectation though.

If he drops to 15% and shoots a bit more it balances out.

People go nuts over the shooting percentage. Kid is a goal scorer. It's not like he was cheechoo feasting off of a prime Joe Thornton either

I don’t think many expect him to continue shooting at 20%. I think 15% is a reasonable expectation though.

If he drops to 15% and shoots a bit more it balances out.

People go nuts over the shooting percentage. Kid is a goal scorer. It's not like he was cheechoo feasting off of a prime Joe Thornton either

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Suzuki's contract wasn't great, its the same thing here. You used to be required to demonstrate some level of consistency before you broke the bank as a young player. It seems like gambling on potential has become more and more common. We'll have the answers in a few years I guess.
Feels like they used to be exclusive to generational guys like Crosby/Ovie -those are the only post-ELC megabucks contracts I remember in the pre-2010 era. Then it becamse the norm after some big post-ELCs given to "up and coming guys" like Mackinnon 6M x 7, Barkov 5.9M x 6, Ekblad 7.5M x 8 in 2016, Draisatl 8.5M x 8, 6M x 7 in 2017, after that McDavid got his, things starter going whack in 2019 forward with the 10M contracts.

So we're comparing Norris today to e.g. Ekblad 6 years ago. With some inflation, makes sense with salary cap going from 73M to 83M in those 6 years.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Great player, bad deal.

Anytime a GM skips the bridge deal you’re hurting yourself.

Bridge deals let you sign them for shorter money short term, and set up the big 8 year deal for age 25 so you get them longer overall and don’t have to compete against the rest of the league when buying UFA years.

Or you know, a player signs a bridge deal and then starts to taste the potential of becoming a UFA and decides not to extend, putting the GM on their heels (see: M.Tkachuk and Dubois). I can guarantee you that Treliving and Kekalainen wish they locked those guys up for 8 years when they had the chance.

This contract takes Norris from age 23-31. That's his prime.

Plus, the Senators don't need cap space right now. They'll need it in 2-3 years. So they were better off extending Norris now, instead of paying him even more after a bridge. They'd rather overpay slightly today to have a bargain later on. If the cap is $90M+ in 3 years and Norris is scoring 35 goals a season, it'll be a great deal, especially when Matthews signs for $15M/season. Is it a risk? Sure. But every single deal is a risk.

We're also talking about a market like Ottawa. When you have a good young player and they want to commit for 8 years, and the money is fair, you do it.

Last edited:

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Feels like they used to be exclusive to generational guys like Crosby/Ovie -those are the only post-ELC megabucks contracts I remember in the pre-2010 era. Then it becamse the norm after some big post-ELCs given to "up and coming guys" like Mackinnon 6M x 7, Barkov 5.9M x 6, Ekblad 7.5M x 8 in 2016, Draisatl 8.5M x 8, 6M x 7 in 2017, after that McDavid got his, things starter going whack in 2019 forward with the 10M contracts.

So we're comparing Norris today to e.g. Ekblad 6 years ago. With some inflation, makes sense with salary cap going from 73M to 83M in those 6 years.

Yeah it was understandable for these guys who you could see just hit the ground running and being really generational talents. Feels like all those you named after still had done more to warrant the money thrown at them and I don't consider suzuki or norris in the same tier. They paid on potential, at no point during these contracts we will think that they were amazing bargains, even if they both reach their full potential. Just my opinion.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No you are nor getting him under 10 with contracts like this. 12M maybe. Get back Karlsson and pay him 10M while you are at it.
This contract has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that he's about to explode statistically.

And why would we get Karlsson back and pay him 10 million?

I didn't really understand any of that.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
You hear this every year from the fanbase of the outlier player who shot 20% and it never happens again
He's been shooting close to 20% for the last 4 years

We have lots of room.

Timmy should be going on a bridge deal anyhow so we can max the length time we have him.
No chance Timmy goes on a bridge, if he hits 90-100 points this season his bridge will be like 8.5x3, might as well just sign him 9-10mx8

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Great player, bad deal.

Anytime a GM skips the bridge deal you’re hurting yourself.

Bridge deals let you sign them for shorter money short term, and set up the big 8 year deal for age 25 so you get them longer overall and don’t have to compete against the rest of the league when buying UFA years.

Reactions: PlayMakers

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I bet 5,000$ that he shoots less than 19.5% over the next two seasons (minimum 250 shots), you bet that he shoots over that for $1000. Deal?
I couldn't care less, as long as he puts the puck in the net that's all that matters. Minimal difference in 17% or 20%.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I see this as a good gamble. Everyone said that Draisaitl deal was a huge overpayment when it happened, and it very quickly became a steal.

Similar bet here, you're betting on your young star to outplay his deal. The hope is you overpay for the first year or two while he finishes developing and by the midway point of the contract he's outplaying it. Time will tell but I always like the gambles in these extensions.
it became a steal because Mcd has been entirely responsible for his production. As much as edmonton fans try to hide this its obvious. go watch any drai all goals video.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
it became a steal because Mcd has been entirely responsible for his production. As much as edmonton fans try to hide this its obvious. go watch any drai all goals video.
I don't agree with this take. He certainly has benefitted on the powerplay, but 5 on 5 Draisaitl can drive a line on his own. In his Hart season, RNH and Yamamoto had career years.

Draisaitl is a 1C on pretty much every other team in the league.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I bet 5,000$ that he shoots less than 19.5% over the next two seasons (minimum 250 shots), you bet that he shoots over that for $1000. Deal?

The problem with Norris is that he shortens powerplay deployment for his teammates by scoring so often in the first PP shift, and the team is right back to 5-on-5.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Draisaitl is at minimum a top 10 NHL player. I'd like to see his stats for games McDavid missed from injury (not counting young Drai before he was a star). I'd bet that he's over a point per game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Imagine not knowing who Josh Norris is... He has scored 52 goals in just over a year...

The reactions in this thread is yet another proof that sports fans in general don't know jack shit outside of their favorite team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very good signing by Ottawa, usually when you trade a star like Karlsson, the return is not often good in relation. Norris has been good, and has a very bright future with the Sens.

Reactions: Altimus

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Very good signing by Ottawa, usually when you trade a star like Karlsson, the return is not often good in relation. Norris has been good, and has a very bright future with the Sens.
So Tkachuk and shuttle gonna want 8 mill too
And neither are as good assyhees and marner

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I feel like this is an overpayment.

Melnyuk rolling in his grave at the money spent this summer by dorion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad