Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Josh Norris signs extension with the Senators (8 years, $7.95M AAV)

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
35 of those points were goals and was in just 66 games on a crummy team.
Ya, I agree. If he can hit 40g, even with only 70ish points, this contract will be ok. As long as he keeps shooting and generating goals, I think you can live with that cap hit because he's a C who is alright defensively as well.

What might be a tougher pill to swallow is DeBrincat netting 45-50 and asking for 10m.

StoneHoffs129

Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people in here saying they could care less about the sens but crying its an overpayment. Which is it you don't care or you do😆

Reactions: SENStastic

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's always risky business paying for projected production based on a limited sample size, but if he continues on his current trajectory, it will be a reasonable contract long term.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Young 1st line centre, signs for 8 years...the cost was always going to be around 8M.

It's not that complicated, it's all comparables...Suzuki signed for 8yrs at 7.8M.

It's virtually the same deal.

You could never sign Norris for less.

All of these deals are based on precedents. They don't just throw a number at the wall.
It's the same reason I like signing extensions a year earlier. Getting Pinto at 5M x 6 years would be amazing.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
People laughed at the branstrom contract too. Figured the senators signed another white. Now that might be the legitimate best contract in the league.

I think a lot of people just don't watch the senators.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Suzuki's contract wasn't great, its the same thing here. You used to be required to demonstrate some level of consistency before you broke the bank as a young player. It seems like gambling on potential has become more and more common. We'll have the answers in a few years I guess.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Suzuki's contract wasn't great, its the same thing here. You used to be required to demonstrate some level of consistency before you broke the bank as a young player. It seems like gambling on potential has become more and more common. We'll have the answers in a few years I guess.

They aren’t just gambling on the player but also on league revenues, particularly with the long 7 and 8 year contracts.

Reactions: THE HOFF

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Great player, bad deal.

Anytime a GM skips the bridge deal you’re hurting yourself.

Bridge deals let you sign them for shorter money short term, and set up the big 8 year deal for age 25 so you get them longer overall and don’t have to compete against the rest of the league when buying UFA years.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I like Norris, glad they locked him up. Like mosy of these deals (except cases where the player stops improvement or worsens), the price will look low in a few years. Also applies to Rob Thomas who had a good season.

Thanks to San Jose for setting the Sens up at centre. Although it was just stupid luck to end up with Stutzle. Since the Sens set up Colorado with Byram and Girard for Duchene, by all rights, Colorado owes San Jose one of these trades.

Reactions: General Disarray

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Great player, bad deal.

Anytime a GM skips the bridge deal you’re hurting yourself.

Bridge deals let you sign them for shorter money short term, and set up the big 8 year deal for age 25 so you get them longer overall and don’t have to compete against the rest of the league when buying UFA years.
It completely depends on a team's situation.

If the player is staying for 8 years (which in Norris' case, would bring him to 30yrs old), you can either do (I'm completely ballparking here):

$8M x 8yrs
---
$64M total

or

$6m x 3yrs
$8m x 3yrs
$11m x 2yrs
---
$64M total

A team coming out of a rebuild like the Sens? 8 years upfront is the better option. It means you pay more per year in the early years, but that's ok, because you're not up against the cap in those early years. Then in the final few years of that deal, you're getting a big bargain, while both the cap and the player keep growing.

If you're a contender who's already up against the cap? Then yeah, a bridge makes more sense.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
have any ended up bad though? I mean with young players signing until they are 30 or whatever. If you include the young guys getting like 5 a season for 5 years those all seem to work out too. I bet the success ratio is like 20:1 (and I think Suzuki's will be too, Montreal just had a weird season and I think it's better to mostly ignore stats when a team has a weird season. Goes for weirdly good seasons too like Calgary's top line this year.)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Judging by the reactions in this thread, I was right once again

So of course I have pre-made posts, as usual

Since March 15th 2021 :

10- Alex DeBrincat 0.53 GPG (109 GP)
14- Josh Norris 0.52 GPG (91 GP)

2 elite goal scorers

It's crazy how things coming out of Ottawa are always underrated (Norris)

It's not about shooting percentage last season, his "hot streak" had already begun the previous season. He figured that it was easy to score in the NHL in his 35th NHL game.

Craig Oster certainly knew these things. I would of.

Bump. It looks like my post should have been on every page of this thread if people think Norris is coming out of nowhere

Need a new link though :

47 goals in his last 91 games, this is not a small sample size

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad