Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Connor Brown re-signs with Senators (3 years, $3.6M AAV)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Soon enough, my friend. Few years from now, Tkachuk, Stutz, Sanderson on ice at once; you won't have an answer to match; Leafs vs Sens of the 2000s but reversed and better defense.

Hard to say, but I do hope the Sens improve and we can have the battle of Ontario be fun again.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I just wanted to add a couple of things here. This is a great contract for Connor Brown, and he's deserved it with all of his hard work. This will probably be the largest contract that he signs, as it's highly improbable that at the end of this, he'll be getting the ice time that he is now. He was the leader in ice time for all forwards last year with the Senators, second only behind Tkachuck. at 5v5 He had 1:40 on the PP, and was the leader on the PK as well. As Ottawa's younger guys, and prospects mature, Brown is going to see that ice time drop quite a bit, to the point where he is likely going to be second, or probably even third line minutes, no PP time, and still excel on the PK. He might be the hardest working guy out there, but when more talented prospects hit their stride, Stutzle, Greig, Logan Brown, Batherson. Dadanov, and whomever else is drafted, UFA signed, traded for.... hit their strides, he's not going to be getting this payday again. He's deserved this payday, no question, and it speaks to the player, that while enemies on the ice, pretty much every Leafs fan is happy for him, and his success and pay.
This post is bang on and why the term is so good for the team. Once he moves down the depth chart his contract will expire and the money will be allocated to those players coming off their ELC's. Had the season finished he had a reasonable shot at 20 goals and 50 points last year, getting him at 3.6 is good value for a young sens team. He brings a great work ethic to the rink every night and will take the heavy matchups the next two seasons before the youngsters are ready for it. This really is a perfect deal for both sides. Smart to back load it too in hopes the financial climate gets better and there is less escrow. Feel like the organization and team worked well together on this one.

Also this silly stuff about the sens being better than the leafs in the near future is simply bait. Dont go for it leaf fans. This is the best leaf team you have had top to bottom since 1993. Both ontario teams had great offseasons given their situations and what they are trying to achieve. In 3 years if the Sens develop well they will be able to compete with their Ontario bretheren. They arent remotely close yet.

Reactions: Fogelhund

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unfortunately, you might have a slight point there. No way in hell Sens rid of the new guard, but Melnyk's surprised far worse. We'll probably still have our young studs for their RFA years tho so we got that hope!!

You know it's funny I remember when he was LOVED in that city then suddenly it all changed

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You know it's funny I remember when he was LOVED in that city then suddenly it all changed

SyCwErDYBrsw1mGuQk0OLUzu6YT5BcjGxaJFsX1QrZaV0qWXPGWyeD9lbCxQCYfgVv9-ZHT2XCvX_hTRRFKHjWUdR4qqi1A9bhfhuEUnc-C9l2ZICB9I7MF-7iBeJifyd_ZFMAWBett4dfzh2oq3-J0MFRMyHq22mMA

Glad he survived his ordeal tho dont wish death on anyone but that pic above cant be more accurate.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Very intense. Tucker attacking Neil on the bench. I hope we get back to the animosity one day with these two teams. Maybe in a few years.

It's funny how all the stories come out eventually.

Tucker admitted on Team 1200 that there was no spitting, he just went crazy, but Pat Quinn made it up to try and justify the attack. It was actually a pretty funny and lively discussion - I'm not sure if I can find it.

Domi admits that he threw his forehead at the boards on purpose following Ricard Persson's check from behind to try and draw blood and a double minor (and did!).

“You guys were beating us 2-0. We had nothing going on at all. You know how sharp the boards are, right? I kind of saw him (Ottawa defenceman Ricard Persson) coming. He didn’t hit me that hard but when he did hit me I purposely hit my head (on the boards) just above my eyebrow.

“I knew as soon as I saw the blood I had done what I wanted to do. Everybody knew on our side that I did it on purpose.”

Former Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Tie Domi remembers bloody Battle of Ontario in best-selling memoir | National Post

Don't see that kind of thing much any more.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It's funny how all the stories come out eventually.

Tucker admitted on Team 1200 that there was no spitting, he just went crazy, but Pat Quinn made it up to try and justify the attack. It was actually a pretty funny and lively discussion - I'm not sure if I can find it.

Domi admits that he threw his forehead at the boards on purpose following Ricard Persson's check from behind to try and draw blood and a double minor (and did!).

Former Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Tie Domi remembers bloody Battle of Ontario in best-selling memoir | National Post

Don't see that kind of thing much any more.

The reason Tucker was mad at Neil was because of an earlier hit he threw on Travis Green. Green ran Hnidy from behind and earned himself a two minute charging penalty. Instead of going to the box, Green skates towards Neil who was on the Ottawa bench and started saying stuff to him. Then Tucker comes in and all hell broke lose.

The spitting stuff was just made up by Quinn after the game as you already indicated. Quinn did stuff like that all the time. Playing mind games I guess.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The reason Tucker was mad at Neil was because of an earlier hit he threw on Travis Green. Green ran Hnidy from behind and earned himself a two minute charging penalty. Instead of going to the box, Green skates towards Neil who was on the Ottawa bench and started saying stuff to him. Then Tucker comes in and all hell broke lose.

The spitting stuff was just made up by Quinn after the game as you already indicated. Quinn did stuff like that all the time. Playing mind games I guess.

I forgot about that part of it.

For how much I hated Pat Quinn and his subtle and not so subtle manipulations in the media (e.g. "Marian Hossa should be banned from hockey for life"), I enjoyed it a lot when it was Paul MacLean doing it for us to the Habs.

Jacques Martin was good at X's and O's but he really struggled at the mind games aspect of coaching hockey and adapting to changing circumstances.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I forgot about that part of it.

For how much I hated Pat Quinn and his subtle and not so subtle manipulations in the media (e.g. "Marian Hossa should be banned from hockey for life"), I enjoyed it a lot when it was Paul MacLean doing it for us to the Habs.

Jacques Martin was good at X's and O's but he really struggled at the mind games aspect of coaching hockey and adapting to changing circumstances.

Quinn was a win at all costs kind of coach. Martin was too much of a gentleman to sink to Quinn’s level, but Quinn always beat him when it counted.

Seeing how much Montreal fans hated McLean reminded me of how much we in Ottawa despised Quinn.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Soon enough, my friend. Few years from now, Tkachuk, Stutz, Sanderson on ice at once; you won't have an answer to match; Leafs vs Sens of the 2000s but reversed and better defense.

Senators will be lucky to make it out of the bottom 10 in the next 5 years :laugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

The team filed for Bankruptcy and Melnyk came along and bought them. It was great at first, but then he kept saying dumb things in public, and allegedly pissed off a lot of our players that caused them to leave. If he could keep his mouth shut and stop meddling, that would be great.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
View attachment 373917
No one was comparing the players currently, you’re the only one thinking in that direction.
The Senators have shown a clear ability that they are capable of winning rounds with the worst owner in the league. They went to the ecf just 3 years ago so I have full confidence they will win rounds in a couple of seasons. Smart off seasons like this past one will set them up great.

Elite prospects have to become elite players, the Sens young nucleus developing like the Leafs would be a dream result. I knew you were going to bring up something asinine like the ECF with a completely different team, by that logic the Leafs will be better because they beat you guys in the Sundin era. Anyway this is dumb and especially dumb to bring up in a freaking Conor Brown signing thread. I don't actually think you even believe what your posting but yes Sens are trending well, hope it works out for them.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Is it? Buffalo said the same thing after they picked Eichel in 2015 they haven't made it out of the bottom 10 and barely out of the bottom 5.

Without the pause they would probably have finished bottom 5 again

Well, that’s Buffalo. Doesn’t mean the same thing will happen to Ottawa. Five years is a long time. With all the prospects Ottawa has, not to mention Tkachuk and Chabot, I’d be shocked if they were still a bottom 10 team in five years. Let’s bump this thread in five years and see where Ottawa is.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
You know Connor Brown was part of all of those teams right? And in a way smaller role than he currently has in Ottawa.

but yeah Ottawa will totally be better than Toronto soon lol

It’s great to laugh and all but if things work out well with the sens prospects the leafs have zero third or fourth liners as good as Brown. If you think Spezza or Jumbo Joe wouldn’t get worked by him you are mistaken. If Stutz turns into a top line player the gap is going to be a lot smaller than you think and the battle of Ontario will be fun again. Well fun for the Sens because most the prospects are 6’3+ and hard working players that are going to play throwback smashy smashy all night.
You will get a preview this year when Brady and Watson and Brown and Brown....and Brown start running around. They might not win a lot this year but they will be the most dreaded game of the week

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Elite prospects have to become elite players, the Sens young nucleus developing like the Leafs would be a dream result.

I don't really see the Toronto Maple Leafs as the blueprint of this team.

I don't think we're going to have the kind of high-powered offence kind of team that Dubas is attempting to put together. It's not sustainable financially in a small market.

I think Dorion is opting for the "hard to play against" model, which is certainly limited but has its appeal in the post-season.

If you're looking at the past two Cup winners, Tampa Bay seems to be what Dubas wants to build and St. Louis is more of the team I think Dorion is trying to build.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad