Proposal: OTT - CAL

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I love Matthew, but I'd rather hang onto our assets given the salary he's going to command.

Matthew as a player is worth more than this package, but Matthew as a $9M player isn't (to me). Signing that deal will force us into a corner down the road, so the cost is higher than it seems.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ledge And Dairy

I thought the consensus was that Sens fans didn’t want to give the 10th for Monahan. That’s not the same as saying he wouldn’t have that value elsewhere. Monahan just isn’t want Sens fans are looking to add.
He kinda fits their bill perfectly of them shopping for a top 6 center though. Perfect stopgap if Pinto pans out, could resign if he doesnt

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
HFBoard Ottawa fans want to trade Brannstrom. The team doesnt. Brannstrom was the key piece in the Stone trade, which Dorion said was the best trade he has ever made. If he trades him now he will be admitting he got fleeced.

Fans around here seem to want to trade him because they think Sanderson is better and since Chabot is #1 left, and they think Sanderson should be #2 left that would relegate Brannstrom to 3rd pairing. Problem is, Sanderson isnt in the NHL yet, we dont know how long it will take him to adapt his game to the NHL.

Our fans suffer from shiny toy syndrome.

There is also the 2 small D men issue Ottawa has.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He kinda fits their bill perfectly of them shopping for a top 6 center though. Perfect stopgap if Pinto pans out, could resign if he doesnt

He could easily be the 3rd center this year. You don't usually pay that to have a guy on your 3rd line when you aren't even making the playoffs.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He could easily be the 3rd center this year. You don't usually pay that to have a guy on your 3rd line when you aren't even making the playoffs.
I know Monahan isn't exactly the first guy people think of when they are shopping for a top 6 center, but this comment is laughable.

Monahan is a top 6 center, don't kid yourself.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know Monahan isn't exactly the first guy people think of when they are shopping for a top 6 center, but this comment is laughable.

The funny thing is Monahan has only 12 less points than Eichel since Eichel entered the league. He has 12 more goals than Eichel. He's also 8% better in the faceoff circle and has a +/- rating of +40 higher than Eichel. Yet no one wants Monahan and people are prepared to gut their roster for Eichel. I'm not saying he's as good as Eichel, but when you add in the 4M in extra cap space it certainly becomes a conversation worth having.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why would he be the 3rd line center? Also I'm just stating what the rumors said, Ottawa is looking for a top 6 center

He is undoubtedly a top 6 center. I'm just saying that's what pinto projects to be as early as this year or next.

And I don't see Ottawa making the playoffs.

Monahan has been trending down fairly drastically in offensive production the last 3 years. Pinto is obviously trending up as a rookie in his second year. (Yes, monahan can easily have a bounce back year and pinto can have a step back)

Knowing these things, if you have 2 guys who are maybe putting up a bit over 0.5ppg as options for the second line C, wouldn't a NON-PLAYOFF team rather give the ice time to their drafted prospect they've put time to develop over an older player that is trending down?

That's my thought process.

Sure, Monahan would get the 2C slot out of camp, but as Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, he could easily lose ice time to developing pinto in that role.

So why would a team give up significant assets for that when the goal isn't even the playoffs with Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Boston, Montreal in the same division.

It's not that they can't make it but realistically won't.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Read my last comment. I don't think he's a 3C but I think due to circumstances, could quickly find himself in that role.

Ledge And Dairy

He is undoubtedly a top 6 center. I'm just saying that's what pinto projects to be as early as this year or next.

And I don't see Ottawa making the playoffs.

Monahan has been trending down fairly drastically in offensive production the last 3 years. Pinto is obviously trending up as a rookie in his second year. (Yes, monahan can easily have a bounce back year and pinto can have a step back)

Knowing these things, if you have 2 guys who are maybe putting up a bit over 0.5ppg as options for the second line C, wouldn't a NON-PLAYOFF team rather give the ice time to their drafted prospect they've put time to develop over an older player that is trending down?

That's my thought process.

Sure, Monahan would get the 2C slot out of camp, but as Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, he could easily lose ice time to developing pinto in that role.

So why would a team give up significant assets for that when the goal isn't even the playoffs with Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Boston, Montreal in the same division.

It's not that they can't make it but realistically won't.
Monahan was pacing 65 points until he f***ed up his hip this year. As for Pinto, I am aware he has potential but again its been rumored Ottawa is searching for a top 6 center this offseason

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Monahan was pacing 65 points until he f***ed up his hip this year. As for Pinto, I am aware he has potential but again its been rumored Ottawa is searching for a top 6 center this offseason

Sometimes players slow down with injuries.

He put up:

0.69 (-0.36)
0.56 (-0.13)

You can see why teams would be weary of offering up a lot for someone declining in results so drastically, even if it is due to injury( that could scare teams even more).

I would add Monahan as a 1 year stop gap but not for any piece I see as a major part of the future. I'd rather go for a guy that produced similarly the last year without all this added value based on what he did 3 years ago. There might be cheaper and more efficient options to get a 50 point 2C...but I don't even see that as a need compared to 3-4 D.

I'd rather get a veteran top 4 to go with chabot, brannstrom and zub. I see zaitsev and mete as good bottom pair guys.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Not to mention ottawa rebuild has gone well apart from first few games. Getting more young talent gives them the luxury of not overpaying future ufa contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad