Proposal: OTT - CAL

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
With Tkachuk maybe on the trade block in Calgary, do you think a trade could be made between these two teams?

To Calgary: Erik Brannstrom, 2021 1st (10th overall), 2nd (2022)

To Ottawa: Matthew Tkachuk

Which team says no?

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It’s not a bad package but as a Flames fan I just don’t feel Tkachuk is a guy they should be moving if they want to shake up the core. I wouldn’t move him unless he was part of a much bigger package for a guy like Eichel personally

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ottawa seems way too eager to trade Brannstrom and 10th overall in a poorly scouted draft is not that enticing. The 2nd doesn't come close to filling that gap in value. Easy pass

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Ottawa wouldn’t be willing to trade Brady for any package really. He’s happy in Ottawa unlike Matthew is in Calgary.

That being said; no, no I wouldn’t.

Who says Matthew isn’t happy in Calgary? Are you talking about the rumor from O’Brien who has no contacts with Tkachuk or the Flames organization? He was just trying to kickstart his podcast, it’s been refuted by both Tkachuk and the Flames

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
With Tkachuk maybe on the trade block in Calgary, do you think a trade could be made between these two teams?

To Calgary: Erik Brannstrom, 2021 1st (10th overall), 2nd (2022)

To Ottawa: Matthew Tkachuk

Which team says no?
Not a fan of Brannstrom. Let's talk about your other much larger young defenseman. That and the 1st. That's what I'd want.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Who says Matthew isn’t happy in Calgary? Are you talking about the rumor from O’Brien who has no contacts with Tkachuk or the Flames organization? He was just trying to kickstart his podcast, it’s been refuted by both Tkachuk and the Flames
Of course, most said is rubbish. But he does have some credibility; he broke the Montour trade after all.
I definitely trust what he says before I trust what you do :loony:

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Of course, most said is rubbish. But he does have some credibility; he broke the Montour trade after all.

I mean I wasn’t stating my opinions I was just referring you to what the team and the player said. That being said if Tkachuk does explicitly ask out this is probably the kind of package they’d be looking at

If he doesn’t, the price is probably more than this and rightfully so

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Tkachuk to Ottawa is just a bad trade idea as a basis. It really doesn't make sense from about 4 or 5 different angles. People need to stop trying to make it happen.

1. Ottawa is rebuilding. They're not really in a place to pick up possible rentals. Tkachuk isn't an easy re-sign for a team like Ottawa.
2. Tkachuk is super expensive thanks to his QO. If the re-sign him, how does that fit their team budget? He's an expensive piece and they haven't made the playoffs yet. Which is the opposite direction the franchise looks to be taking. A heavy futures package with cost controlled assets? Again, not exactly the direction Ottawa is going for.
3. Why is Ottawa, who is looking to make Brady their captain, going to acquire his big brother for the team? Just a weird idea.
4. Ottawa needs to improve their center position, not the wing. Where is Tkachuk going to play, LW? Ottawa has Tkachuk, Stutzle there already. Are they switching him to RW? Brown and Batherson are there as well as Dadonov getting pushed down to their third line (and becoming an expensive third liner as a result). Is Tkachuk going to push Stutzle down to the third line? Is he going to push Dadonov to the fourth line? It is just a terrible fit from a team composition standpoint. Especially when Ottawa actually needs centers.

Regardless of what people think about trade value, etc... for whatever deal gets posted, it is just a terrible fit. About the only thing that makes sense is Ottawa trying to convert him to a RW and sending Batherson, Brown, or Dadonov as a piece to Calgary to make the fit/financials work. After that you still have to figure out the fit regarding Brady and the captaincy and making sur eit works from an asset management standpoint for Ottawa.

I just don't see it

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Unless Tkachuk wants out, Calgary has no need to make that deal. Regardless its a pretty solid deal. Erik Brannstrom is super underrated. He has 1D potential. But with Sanderson and Chabot on the left side he's expendible.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Sanderson + 1st round pick is a huge ask, I wouldn’t pay it personally but I think that’s what he’s worth.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ottawa seems way too eager to trade Brannstrom and 10th overall in a poorly scouted draft is not that enticing. The 2nd doesn't come close to filling that gap in value. Easy pass
HFBoard Ottawa fans want to trade Brannstrom. The team doesnt. Brannstrom was the key piece in the Stone trade, which Dorion said was the best trade he has ever made. If he trades him now he will be admitting he got fleeced.

Fans around here seem to want to trade him because they think Sanderson is better and since Chabot is #1 left, and they think Sanderson should be #2 left that would relegate Brannstrom to 3rd pairing. Problem is, Sanderson isnt in the NHL yet, we dont know how long it will take him to adapt his game to the NHL.

Our fans suffer from shiny toy syndrome.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
well that’s easy: no
Surely you can see why a potential bottom pairing defenseman and a pick in a weak draft won't get you Matt Tkachuk. Your guy before said he wouldn't trade Brady for that package and Matthew is a fair bit better than Brady offensively, defensively and at drawing penalties.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Tkachuk to Ottawa is just a bad trade idea as a basis. It really doesn't make sense from about 4 or 5 different angles. People need to stop trying to make it happen.

1. Ottawa is rebuilding. They're not really in a place to pick up possible rentals. Tkachuk isn't an easy re-sign for a team like Ottawa.
2. Tkachuk is super expensive thanks to his QO. If the re-sign him, how does that fit their team budget? He's an expensive piece and they haven't made the playoffs yet. Which is the opposite direction the franchise looks to be taking. A heavy futures package with cost controlled assets? Again, not exactly the direction Ottawa is going for.
3. Why is Ottawa, who is looking to make Brady their captain, going to acquire his big brother for the team? Just a weird idea.
4. Ottawa needs to improve their center position, not the wing. Where is Tkachuk going to play, LW? Ottawa has Tkachuk, Stutzle there already. Are they switching him to RW? Brown and Batherson are there as well as Dadonov getting pushed down to their third line (and becoming an expensive third liner as a result). Is Tkachuk going to push Stutzle down to the third line? Is he going to push Dadonov to the fourth line? It is just a terrible fit from a team composition standpoint. Especially when Ottawa actually needs centers.

Regardless of what people think about trade value, etc... for whatever deal gets posted, it is just a terrible fit. About the only thing that makes sense is Ottawa trying to convert him to a RW and sending Batherson, Brown, or Dadonov as a piece to Calgary to make the fit/financials work. After that you still have to figure out the fit regarding Brady and the captaincy and making sur eit works from an asset management standpoint for Ottawa.

I just don't see it

Well said.

Personally, Matthew's cost and the big brother dynamic shifting the room are just too much for me to want to reunite the brothers at this stage of their careers. Too many ways things can go wrong, and only a single narrow path where it all works out and makes the team much better. Not worth the risk.

This thing about getting brothers to play together and creating a unit greater than the sum of it's parts really only works in a Sedin situation, where you have twins/close ages that have played together on the same line for their entire lives. Not with the typical brother duo.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Unless Tkachuk wants out, Calgary has no need to make that deal. Regardless its a pretty solid deal. Erik Brannstrom is super underrated. He has 1D potential. But with Sanderson and Chabot on the left side he's expendible.
Jake Sanderson is the prospect that Calgary is going to ask for. Jake, I think, has ties to the Calgary area and acquiring him makes even more sense since Gio is probably getting taken by Seattle in the ED.

Last edited:

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Yeah I don't think this offer cuts it. I'd prefer Sanderson + another piece rather than 10th + Brannstrom.

Either way I think we'd be looking for a young forward in return for Chucky

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Calgary isn't rebuilding, if Tkachuk was to be traded it would most likely be for an upgrade at centre. Ottawa doesn't really make sense as a trade partner.

The team has said the rumour is false, the player has said the same, the top media and insiders in the city said the rumour is false. The only person who says it's true is a guy who played 1/2 a season here 7 years or so ago. O'Brien my end up being right (broken clock) but right now he has little to no credibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad