Rumor: Ott-Arizona talking Stepan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Why would Ottawa do Anisimov + 2nd for Stepan? The last two seasons they have put up almost identical ppg Stepan at 0.44 and Anisimov 0.45. Anisimov was the better goal scorer in that time as well. I just don't see how Stepan is that much of an upgrade where Ottawa needs to add a 2nd. Stepan also has the higher caphit and salary too.

Stepan plays a more well-rounded game and is two years younger. He would bring more at the deadline and is a better role model for the young guys.

Stepan PK's about 40% of his team's time, Anisimov killed 5%. Stepan can play the hard minutes that went to JGP while the rookies get offensive zone starts and PP time.

The salary and cap hit are irrelevant to Ottawa. Cap doesn't matter either way to Ottawa and if they trade Stepan at the deadline we're talking like 100k real dollars after retention.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yes he did say that. He said it hadn’t reached point where he was demanding out but that he did want out.

Sorry, I was referring to the tweet Simpson sent out. He never said anything about Stepan wanting out in that tweet.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Anisimov is better than Stepan, not sure why Ottawa would do that let alone add. The mention of Reilly in a deal makes more sense, but even still why would Ottawa need another forward. None of this makes any sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Anisimov is better than Stepan, not sure why Ottawa would do that let alone add. The mention of Reilly in a deal makes more sense, but even still why would Ottawa need another forward. None of this makes any sense to me.

I disagree. Especially as a defensive 3rd or 4th line center and PKer. Senators could use a replacement for JGP to eat hard minutes while rookies learn the ropes.

Reactions: Boud and Crosside

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
They've produced at a similar rate the past two seasons, with Anisimov playing less minutes.

Is Stepan that much better defensively that he's worth adding a nice asset like a 2nd or a prospect on top of Anisimov?

I doubt it.

Arty Party can’t skate though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure I get it. I'd probably take Stepan over Anisimov (hard to tell with two players in a volatile decline). But the Sens also have Tierney at center, and they need several spots to make sure Norris, Logan Brown, and Colin White (and maybe even Tim Stutzle, though probably not this year) get their development time at center. If you acquire Stepan it is to play a larger role than Anisimov did, and I'm not sure if there is enough TOI to go around. A swap involving Tierney or White makes more sense there.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Arty Party can’t skate though.
He can't, but he was still one if our best offensive producers in a limited role last year. Pretty lateral move if it was one for one and definitely a dumb move if we added anything to it while taking on unnecessary salary

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
if ottawa is sending a 2nd i hope ottawa get something else back along with stepan. Stepan would be a good add so not going to attack him for the sake of weird board discussion but i think at this stage a 2nd would be too much
Would be a crap deal I'd think if Ottawa added anything of any kind of substance to Anisimov to get Stepan. Dorion isn't going to be the GM for very long if he were to pull a deal like that.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He can't, but he was still one if our best offensive producers in a limited role last year. Pretty lateral move if it was one for one and definitely a dumb move if we added anything to it while taking on unnecessary salary

I agree. I’m good with it if it’s a 1 for 1 deal, but Ottawa shouldn’t add. This talk of Ottawa including a 2nd rounder is just a bad idea.

Reactions: robsenz and Altimus

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hossa is already on LTIR (CapFriendly) and they are $3.5M over the cap.
At this time of the season, nobody technically is on LTIR, part of the 10% over the cap. So Hossa's cap # is included. Once the season starts the $5.275M is taken off, which leaves the 'Yotes $1.75M under.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad