Rumor: Ott-Arizona talking Stepan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Stepan would be a real good add for Ottawa. He can still play solid minutes, is dependable, and would be great to have around Norris, White and Brown.

1. I don’t think this would be a cap dump situation though. Stepan still has value.

2. Simpson suggested it’d be Anisimov, Balcers and a 2nd going from Ottawa.

Anisimov to free up a spot and swap salary, Balcers and the 2nd as the main return.

1. Stephan is not a cap dump, but Arizona wants to move/dump him?

2. Definitely an overpayment & bad deal. I'd think removing two of those pieces would be closer to something that's balanced.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Stephan is not a cap dump, but Arizona wants to move/dump him?
Correct.
Reading through this thread I see a lot of outside fans shitting on Stepan. I don’t think the Coyotes have a Stepan problem. I think Stepan has a Coyotes problem. I think any other team would be happy to have him. He’s as solid as they come. Arizona should move on from him for a very unique set of reasons.

The culture in AZ is bad. They need a major shake-up. Kessel, OEL and Hjalmarsson have NMCs and Goligoski has a NTC.

Stepan plays a TON of minutes and almost never makes a mistake on the ice. He’s like a player coach. Flawless fundamentals. But he’s a happy go lucky goof ball type. A loveable clown.

The Coyotes have waaaay too many of these guys in key leadership positions. It’s one of the reasons for the mid-season collapse where they acquired Taylor Hall while in first place, and then tumbled way out of a playoff spot. It’s one of the reasons why they were able to defeat Nashville in a short but tough playin round but they just laid down and died against Colorado.

The Coyotes have a major leadership and culture problem. They lack accountability big-time. It’s a country club atmosphere. Our last “Number Muncher” Robo-Boy GM did not understand the human element in the slightest.

It’s no wonder the new GM came in screaming and pounding in the table at his introductory press conference about changing the culture, finding players who will bleed for the organization, and never accepting anyone who wants to be here for the weather or the golf.

Not only did he immediately fire a ton of people but he also let every UFA leave and he replaced them all exclusively with players who are known to work extremely hard and never let up on the ice. He brought in Pitlick, Larsson, Caggiula, Hayden and Hunt via UFA. He just narrowly missed being able to trade OEL. Trading Stepan would be the next biggest shake-up behind OEL.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
LOL. If you want to call it a non cap dump, then how about a center for center trade? ;)

Cap dump doesn't always mean a lousy player all of the time. It can mean a player that is overpaid versus his playing level.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
LOL. If you want to call it a non cap dump then, a center for center trade. ;)
Stepan for Anisimov makes sense to me as a Coyotes fan on a couple of fronts. Assuming it frees up enough cap to sign another last minute forward like Brassard or Soderberg.

To me it makes some sense for Arizona to target Anisimov and one of Brassard or Soderberg, rather than hang onto Stepan and sign Freddy Gauthier, as rumored by Pierre LeBrun.

They’ll have the worst set of centers in the NHL either way, but this is a little less drastic of a drop off.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Stepan for Anisimov makes sense to me as a Coyotes fan on a couple of fronts. Assuming it frees up enough cap to sign another last minute forward like Brassard or Soderberg.

To me it makes some sense for Arizona to target Anisimov and one of Brassard or Soderberg, rather than hang onto Stepan and sign Freddy Gauthier, as rumored by Pierre LeBrun.

They’ll have the worst set of centers in the NHL either way, but this is a little less drastic of a drop off.

I edited/added to my post.

You are specifically focused on Arizona. Not sure what it does for Ottawa. They are already over cap floor. IF I were a Senators fan (and I'm not), I'd always want my GM to leverage the cap space they have, but especially in the COVID crunch. Otherwise, why bother for a marginal upgrade?

rt

May 13, 2004
I edited/added to my post.

You are specifically focused on Arizona. Not sure what it does for Ottawa. They are already over cap floor. IF I were a Senators fan (and I'm not), I'd always want my GM to leverage the cap space they have, but especially in the COVID crunch. Otherwise, why bother for a marginal upgrade?
Because Ottawa is not focused on caphit and is a budget team. If they see Stepan as a notably better option and it doesn’t cost them real money, why wouldn’t they trade Anisimov for him? If they think it makes them better and it doesn’t cost them any future assets or real dollars, of course they do it.

I didn’t make up the rumor. I can’t speculate as to why Ottawa would be looking at Stepan. We we’re going to have the discussion accepting the premise that it’s true, I think the most obvious answer to “why would Ottawa trade Anisimov for Stepan” is that they prefer Stepan to Anisimov.

This feels pretty straightforward to me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Stepan would be a real good add for Ottawa. He can still play solid minutes, is dependable, and would be great to have around Norris, White and Brown.

I don’t think this would be a cap dump situation though. Stepan still has value.

Simpson suggested it’d be Anisimov, Balcers and a 2nd going from Ottawa.

Anisimov to free up a spot and swap salary, Balcers and the 2nd as the main return.

That’s a dumb move from Ottawa’s POV. They don’t need Stepan. Why give up anything of value for a guy you don’t need? You may be able to recoup that pick at the deadline, but there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Zoltar

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Because Ottawa is not focused on caphit and is a budget team. If they see Stepan as a notably better option and it doesn’t cost them real money, why wouldn’t they trade Anisimov for him? If they think it makes them better and it doesn’t cost them any future assets or real dollars, of course they do it.

I didn’t make up the rumor. I can’t speculate as to why Ottawa would be looking at Stepan. We we’re going to have the discussion accepting the premise that it’s true, I think the most obvious answer to “why would Ottawa trade Anisimov for Stepan” is that they prefer Stepan to Anisimov.

This feels pretty straightforward to me.

The "notably better option" is a questionable statement imho, but of course, I'm not inside Dorion's head either. And thus, it also follows that we/I don't "accept the premise is true". Hence, its hardly straightforward or obvious. Ottawa is already over the cap floor. If they make a trade that winds up with them paying more $s overall, then that's more money out of Melnyk's pocket.

Some of ideas thrown out were overpayment (bad returns), and I think you responded to one those.

Anyhow, not important enough (not my team) for me to continue on.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
The "notably better option" is a questionable statement imho, but of course, I'm not inside Dorion's head either. And thus, it also follows that we/I don't "accept the premise is true". Hence, its hardly straightforward or obvious. Ottawa is already over the cap floor. If they make a trade that winds up with them paying more $s overall, then that's more money out of Melnyk's pocket.

Some of ideas thrown out were overpayment (bad returns), and I think you responded to one those.

Anyhow, not important enough (not my team) for me to continue on.
Okay, this is becoming unfocussed.

1. I'm talking about Stepan for Anisimov. Straight-up, 1:1.

2. The cap-floor has absolutely nothing to do with this. No place in the discussion for that. It's red-herring. Stepan is owed $2mil and Anisimov is owed $1.5mil. Say whatever you want about Melnyk, this is not an issue for consideration. Period.

3. The above two points actually have nothing at all to do with how we began our exchange. You asked "Stephan is not a cap dump, but Arizona wants to move/dump him?" - I explained it pretty clearly. Then you moved the goal posts, and this has gone sideways.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He's only a cap dump if his team needs to dump him. Arizona doesn't.
That’s fine, not the point I was even arguing/making. The other poster was under the impression that he had a 2 mill hit not a 6.5

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1. I'm talking about Stepan for Anisimov. Straight-up, 1:1.

OK, well that's a lot better & realistic. I saw some proposals where there were more (than just Anisimov) parts from Ottawa involved and you responded to those posts like they were somehow realistic offers.

I'm bored with this now (& I didn't read the rest of your post).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Arizona does that move their beyond screwed. That team is no longer in the basement, they're in the sewer for a few coming seasons.

If Ottawa gets Stepan they might improve down the middle a little bit as Stepan could handle the second-line, but all he does is put a cap hit, but what value it'd bring otherwise is veteran leadership also with the potential for Ottawa to flip him to a contending team if they, most likely too, can't clinch a playoff spot and retain half his salary.

But I imagine the way this trade gets done is if Arizona gets ripped off.

rt

May 13, 2004
This sounds like it's really going to happen. This Ottawa analyst is friends with Stepan's dad. Sounds like Stepan would be happy to make the switch.

TSN Ottawa
Discussion begins at the 32 minute mark.

and...

TSN Ottawa
Discussion begins at the 23 minute mark.

Reactions: qqaz

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
While his offensive game has declined, I can tell you that for young team like Ottawa, having a guy like Stepan there can do nothing but good things for that teaam.

defensively responsible and doesn't cheat that side of the game to make something happen offensively.

He's a very solid pick up if you get him

Reactions: Taluss and qqaz

rt

May 13, 2004
Arizona does that move their beyond screwed. That team is no longer in the basement, they're in the sewer for a few coming seasons.

If Ottawa gets Stepan they might improve down the middle a little bit as Stepan could handle the second-line, but all he does is put a cap hit, but what value it'd bring otherwise is veteran leadership also with the potential for Ottawa to flip him to a contending team if they, most likely too, can't clinch a playoff spot and retain half his salary.

But I imagine the way this trade gets done is if Arizona gets ripped off.
The TSN guy in Ottawa who is apparently friends with Stepan's dad and has the inside scoop here is predicting that it would take at least a 2nd rounder (of which Ottawa has three), along with Anisimov.

That extra 2 million bucks in capspace could easily be spend on Brassard or Soderberg. With Arizona being rumored to be looking at Freddy Gauthier, this really comes down to whether you prefer Stepan+Gauthier or Anisimov+Brassard/Soderberg+2nd. I'm an Arizona fan, and I think that's an easy answer. I definitely prefer the latter.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The TSN guy in Ottawa who is apparently friends with Stepan's dad and has the inside scoop here is predicting that it would take at least a 2nd rounder (of which Ottawa has three), along with Anisimov.

That extra 2 million bucks in capspace could easily be spend on Brassard or Soderberg. With Arizona being rumored to be looking at Freddy Gauthier, this really comes down to whether you prefer Stepan+Gauthier or Anisimov+Brassard/Soderberg+2nd. I'm an Arizona fan, and I think that's an easy answer. I definitely prefer the latter.

if ottawa is sending a 2nd i hope ottawa get something else back along with stepan. Stepan would be a good add so not going to attack him for the sake of weird board discussion but i think at this stage a 2nd would be too much

rt

May 13, 2004
if ottawa is sending a 2nd i hope ottawa get something else back along with stepan. Stepan would be a good add so not going to attack him for the sake of weird board discussion but i think at this stage a 2nd would be too much
I’d be pleasantly surprised with Anisimov and a 2nd for Stepan. It’s not something I would suggest or predict. That’s all Shawn Simpson. Not me.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That’s fine, not the point I was even arguing/making. The other poster was under the impression that he had a 2 mill hit not a 6.5

He's an expiring contract either way, so the cap hit is basically irrelevant this close to the start of the season, especially for Ottawa.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'd be happy with:

Anisimov and Ottawa's worst 2nd (Columbus'?)

for

Stepan and Pittsburgh's 4th.

Senators can make that cost back at the deadline no problem and Stepan will be a positive influence on a young team.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'd be happy with:

Anisimov and Ottawa's worst 2nd (Columbus'?)

for

Stepan and Pittsburgh's 4th.

Senators can make that cost back at the deadline no problem and Stepan will be a positive influence on a young team.

They might be able to get that pick back at the deadline. It’s silly to just assume it will happen. What kind of season is Stepan having? Is he healthy? What’s the market like? Buyers market? How many teams need a centre? How many centres are available? You have to factor all these things in.

you can’t just assume Ottawa gets a second for him at the deadline. It might not happen.

rt

May 13, 2004
They might be able to get that pick back at the deadline. It’s silly to just assume it will happen. What kind of season is Stepan having? Is he healthy? What’s the market like? Buyers market? How many teams need a centre? How many centres are available? You have to factor all these things in.

you can’t just assume Ottawa gets a second for him at the deadline. It might not happen.
So you're saying Ottawa assumes the risk in exchange for the better player/fit, and that Arizona downgrades in exchange for security on the pick? That seems pretty fair and reasonable now that you say it.

Reactions: Bevans

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So you're saying Ottawa assumes the risk in exchange for the better player/fit, and that Arizona downgrades in exchange for security on the pick? That seems pretty fair and reasonable now that you say it.

If I’m Ottawa, there’s no way I give up a second. Ottawa doesn’t need Stepan, so why give up a second for a player you don’t need? Of course he is an upgrade on Anisimov, and Ottawa can say Stepan is a guy who can mentor the young players, but I still think it makes little sense for them to give up a second in this deal. It’s not up to me though.

Anisimov
One of Lajoie/Davidson/Jaros/Chlapik

For Stepan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would Ottawa do Anisimov + 2nd for Stepan? The last two seasons they have put up almost identical ppg Stepan at 0.44 and Anisimov 0.45. Anisimov was the better goal scorer in that time as well. I just don't see how Stepan is that much of an upgrade where Ottawa needs to add a 2nd. Stepan also has the higher caphit and salary too.

Reactions: Zoltar and robsenz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad