OT: Other sports thread: Doyers Angels, Rams, Lakers, Bruins, Trojans, Capybaras

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Vegas got cooked by the 4th and OT. The public was on KC and the over and it looked like it was going to be SF and the under.

As far as kicking, yeah not a great xp attempt by Moody, but he did have two 50+ yard fgs. SF was let down way more by their coach than anything else.
Yeah I’m not saying it was entirely his fault but I bet he still feels pretty shitty about it. I got a good chuckle out of him setting the longest FG in superbowl history only to have it broken like 15 minutes later by the other guy.

Unrelated and I know it’s not that new but can anyone tell me why they moved up the spot for kickoffs, thereby basically eliminating ever having a return? Kick returns can be some of the most electrifying plays in football. Seems like a dumb move.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
As I already said, being up against the clock is not the same as having no concern about how much time you have. It’s another variable that adds panic, confusion and the potential for someone’s nerves to get the better of them.

You wanna pretend that’s not the case, go ahead.
I don't really think we're going anywhere with this. A lot went wrong in that game for the 49ers.

Reactions: Bandit

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Yeah I’m not saying it was entirely his fault but I bet he still feels pretty shitty about it. I got a good chuckle out of him setting the longest FG in superbowl history only to have it broken like 15 minutes later by the other guy.

Unrelated and I know it’s not that new but can anyone tell me why they moved up the spot for kickoffs, thereby basically eliminating ever having a return? Kick returns can be some of the most electrifying plays in football. Seems like a dumb move.
Concussions and pending lawsuits because of them.

Also, SF took the ball because they wanted a potential extra possession if it came to it. It didn't, so it's being questioned now. If they held KC to a FG, they're in the drivers seat.

That said, I'm always happy to see a Bosa lose.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

The same reason for a lot of rule changes, kickoffs resulted in a lot of concussions so they changed the rule.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Concussions and pending lawsuits because of them.

Also, SF took the ball because they wanted a potential extra possession if it came to it. It didn't, so it's being questioned now. If they held KC to a FG, they're in the drivers seat.

That said, I'm always happy to see a Bosa lose.

Here are the problems with that logic.

1. If you get any kind of points you are giving Mahomes an extra down.

2. If you score a TD and then KC scores a td, KC would have gone for 2.

3. If you kick a fg (what happened) you are giving KC the extra down, not only outside of FG range but likely in it to. 4th and anything less 5 and in FG range KC would have gone for it because the analytics say you are 60+% to get it and kicking it back to them you are 65% to lose.

If you punt to them, and with Butkers leg, Mahomes really only has to get it to the 45 for a realistic and makeable FG.

Playing for the third possesion is expecting def stops by both teams, with the way the defenses were gashed in the 4th that was unlikely.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Here are the problems with that logic.

1. If you get any kind of points you are giving Mahomes an extra down.

2. If you score a TD and then KC scores a td, KC would have gone for 2.

3. If you kick a fg (what happened) you are giving KC the extra down, not only outside of FG range but likely in it to. 4th and anything less 5 and in FG range KC would have gone for it because the analytics say you are 60+% to get it and kicking it back to them you are 65% to lose.

If you punt to them, and with Butkers leg, Mahomes really only has to get it to the 45 for a realistic and makeable FG.

Playing for the third possesion is expecting def stops by both teams, with the way the defenses were gashed in the 4th that was unlikely.
I'm not saying it was the right call, but it's not without sound logic. We're second guessing because of the result, not because it was some egregious decision.

Also, I do not believe for a second that Andy Reid would have gone for two knowing the options were a chance in sudden death or you lose the Super Bowl. Not. One. Second. It's easy for him to say that NOW knowing he doesn't have to make that call at the time.

The REAL issue (imho) was not going for it and taking the FG in the OT. You're at 2nd and 4 from their 9. You're in 4 down territory as far as I'm concerned. You don't get a TD, but at least you're putting them back at maybe the 5 yard line. They're going to need 50-60 yards to get that FG. Best case you get that TD after running off a couple more minutes.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Man, what a whirlwind topsy turvy start for the Dodgers. Win the first game where that rare ball through the glove error happened, Shohei scandal breaks in a very crazy rapid succession after the game where he was interpreting for him that day, was pulled by Dodgers brass and then apparently fired on the spot and now they are going full silence mode, and then they lose the next game in a horrific debut for Yoshinobu Yamamoto who gives up 5 runs immediately in the first inning and gets pulled, somehow they claw their way back within a run and then lose 15-11. Definitely not the start they probably wanted.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
The otani has the potential to turn into a real mess. But since pro sports has gotten in bed with the gambling degenerates, anything could happen. They probably cant prove thosr bets werent shohei's- mlb could force the dogers to void out that huge contract.
Feel bad for pete rose.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Unless Ohtani gets investigated, I don't think he's going to be in much trouble if at all. This will disappear in a couple weeks if nothing further develops. And if Ohtani is in deep shit, the Dodgers will have an out. Yamamoto having a disastrous start after a shitty spring training is more concerning.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The otani has the potential to turn into a real mess. But since pro sports has gotten in bed with the gambling degenerates, anything could happen. They probably cant prove thosr bets werent shohei's- mlb could force the dogers to void out that huge contract.
Feel bad for pete rose.

Not sure it's supposed to work that way, I'm nearly positive that they have to prove they are his.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Two very conflicting stories though and both seem plausible. Paying off his long time interpreter's gambling debts as a way to help him out is believable. If you're wondering why he wouldn't just give him the money directly, well, you don't give a gambling addict 4.5mil to pay off his debts and expect him to actually pay off the debt. lol The outright theft seems less likely, but it is plausible, especially if he got desperate. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4reals

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Have we done this yet?
1711047705614.png

OR

1711047777062.png

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Feel bad for pete rose.
Not a chance. Unless he bet on baseball there's nothing he did that would allow MLB to do anything to him. Even a suspension or a fine.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Not a chance. Unless he bet on baseball there's nothing he did that would allow MLB to do anything to him. Even a suspension or a fine.
Using an illegal bookie would actually violate the CBA. The punishment would be up to the commissioner. They would have to be some proof that Ippei is just a fall guy and Ohtani was actually placing the bets.

Knowing Manfred is a spinless, limp-dick commissioner, he wouldn't suspend his cash cow. There would be a fine at most, unless it came out that he bet on baseball.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Using an illegal bookie would actually violate the CBA. The punishment would be up to the commissioner. They would have to be some proof that Ippei is just a fall guy and Ohtani was actually placing the bets.

Knowing Manfred is a spinless, limp-dick commissioner, he wouldn't suspend his cash cow. There would be a fine at most, unless it came out that he bet on baseball.
He's not being accused of using a bookie.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
He's not being accused of using a bookie.
But I get what he's saying though. The story has already changed twice from Ohtani paid the 4.5 mill in debt directly, to Ippei was given the money to pay the debt, and then currently to Ippei stole the money and Ohtani had no knowledge.

I think what Biola is implying is that Ohtani was the one gambling and Ippei is the fall guy to cover it up, which would need to be proven.

Last edited:

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
But I get what he's saying though. The story has already changed twice from Ohtani paid the 4.5 mill in debt directly, to Ippei was given the money to pay the debt, and then currently to Ippei stole the money and Ontani had no knowledge.

I think what Biola is implying is that Ohtani was the one gambling and Ippei is the fall guy to cover it up, which would need to be proven.
Ippei being the fall guy seems like the most plausible situation. Especially since the story has changed twice from Shohei's people. Ippei is likely the bag holder like Jarrett was in Vegas.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
something like six or more 6-figure bets placed over the past year or something. Yet the guy isn't aware. Internal wires. Yeah, something does not smell right here. Get the feeling this is going to draaaaaaag on

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
something like six or more 6-figure bets placed over the past year or something. Yet the guy isn't aware. Internal wires. Yeah, something does not smell right here. Get the feeling this is going to draaaaaaag on
Yeah I find it very hard to believe he didn't know what was going on. This isn't a financial advisor that has access to your accounts. You can't convince me that you wouldn't notice millions going somewhere that you haven't been told about.

They can't and won't prove it, but it definitely sounds like bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad