OT: Other Sports Part XV - The Boys of Summer are back!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Wow, just heard the news about Hanlin. Unbelievable. Hope he recovers well from this. Absolutely shocking moment.

It sounds like a Chris Pronger situation where blunt force trauma to the chest caused cardiac arrest. Still remember Pronger taking a slapshot to the chest, taking 2 steps then collapsing.

Hamlin took a hard hit to the chest, got up, took one step & collapsed. They gave him 9 minutes of CPR on the field, and apparently he was intubated.

Prayers for him & his family.
So sad. Praying for this young man

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh my God that guy just caught a ball with his butt.

Never seen that before. Holy smokes… :laugh:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It’s official. Aaron Rogers sucks.

There are only two people who would ever be delusional enough to publicly declare he's still the best QB.

The first is Barry McCockiner, who doesn't have Brady in his top ten all-time but did have Russell Wilson.

The second is your host of Habs Lunch on TSN690.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Jagurs bounced back quicker than I anticipated with Lawrence not only making the playoffs but winning a round.

The only thing that discredits their achievement a little is the fact they beat LAC - this franchise must make their fans laugh. by now along with all other NFL viewers. You say Lions are more sad and I say Chargers punch their followers where it hurts much much more viciously. You never know when it's going to come in in what fashion, but you are prepared for it by now. Truly one sad joke this team has been for over a decade now. Probably more, because they were more irrelevant back then and no one gave a flying kite. I see what their plan has been now - achieve a legendary status failing in every imaginable way. Ottawa Senators of the NFL maybe.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
why is NFL football always so good?

i'm just a casual fan but every time i tune in it's a good game. awesome comeback by Jaguars after being down 26-0 :amazed:
It's a situational sport unlike hockey or basketball. Like a lot of chess matches - NFL games get incredibly intense toward the end. Most of them do, well maybe not most but definitely majority. Same cannot be said for any other major sport. NFL has another edge over the rest of the leagues - incredible parity. Relatively speaking it's night and day compared with other NA sports, which only adds to entertainment.

Reactions: dinodebino

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
It's a situational sport unlike hockey or basketball. Like a lot of chess matches - NFL games get incredibly intense toward the end. Most of them do, well maybe not most but definitely majority. Same cannot be said for any other major sport. NFL has another edge over the rest of the leagues - incredible parity. Relatively speaking it's night and day compared with other NA sports, which only adds to entertainment.
you think the NFL has more parity than say the NHL?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
you think the NFL has more parity than say the NHL?
It dwarfs all other 3 leagues easily. It's not close, not according to any sports analyst or cross-sports fans. NHL (along with NBA/MLB) is far, far behind. I don't see how this is arguable.

To preface anyone throwing the Pats at me... That doesn't diminish NFL's parity in the slightest. What it does - highlights the most dominant stretch any sports franchise has ever had or will have in our lifetimes. I wasn't there for the Steel curtain, but maybe only those teams can even be put in the same paragraph.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
It dwarfs all other 3 leagues easily. It's not close, not according to any sports analyst or cross-sports fans. NHL (along with NBA/MLB) is far, far behind. I don't see how this is arguable.

To preface anyone throwing the Pats at me... That doesn't diminish NFL's parity in the slightest. What it does - highlights the most dominant stretch any sports franchise has ever had or will have in our lifetimes. I wasn't there for the Steel curtain, but maybe only those teams can even be put in the same paragraph.
well, i don't buy it, yet, but i will think on it. i always saw the NFL as a league full of lovable losers who could never get it together: Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals ... ironically they all seem good this year :D but that's after a 20-year stretch of suckitude

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
well, i don't buy it, yet, but i will think on it. i always saw the NFL as a league full of lovable losers who could never get it together: Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals ... ironically they all seem good this year :D but that's after a 20-year stretch of suckitude
The only argument can be had with Lions (definitely) and Bengals, but to a much lesser extent. Please take a look at the rest in the list because you're wrong. 4 straight SB appearances less than 30 years ago. That is untouchable and when compared to 2/3 of the NHL teams BUF wins out easy. Our Habs have been a bigger joke than the Bills early 90's onward IMO.

I'd really like to have long write-ups on each team, but I'm in the middle of something and can't right now. But please look - you will see quickly.

Going to slip one last thought. NFL's talent pool is deeper than the rest of the league's combined - and it's something you also have to consider. 4-5th rounders start NFL games next season. Do the math on the pool of NFLPA players, also note the NCAA talent that can't even sniff NFL because it's so deep. 1st round picks are not traded in this league, not for Tom Brady not anyone. Yes, there are outliers. like say Rams, or bad ownership i.e Jets etc. But most of those trades have a good reasoning if you look deeper. For example the Rams dude is dying and he pushed harder than we've seen in a long time. I get that - a ballsy choice that finally paid off for him.

It HARD to win in the NFL. Most that say otherwise don't know the sport and probably haven't seen a single game live. As a season ticket owner for NYG I am certain I'd be dead after those routine hits I see 14 rows out. Dead. Most regular folks like you and I would be too. D-e-a-d. The players get up like it's no big deal and keep at it. It's insane really.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
One down for the 49ers.
Serious team for sure.

NFC Divisional round is going to be a bloodbath. Between DAL, shitbirds and SF - obviously I would love to see the latter come through unless my Giants pull omething out of their rear end (not even remotely likely, but I have to stay positive).

Love(d) 49ers of the last 3-4 years (since the mad genius became their head coach). Uniquely entertaining tesm that is built like no other. They really have to win NOW.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Serious team for sure.

NFC Divisional round is going to be a bloodbath. Between DAL, shitbirds and SF - obviously I would love to see the latter come through unless my Giants pull omething out of their rear end (not even remotely likely, but I have to stay positive).

Love(d) 49ers of the last 3-4 years (since the mad genius became their head coach). Uniquely entertaining tesm that is built like no other. They really have to win NOW.
I gotta say, that back up QB who came out of nowhere is Purdy good. :sarcasm:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I gotta say, that back up QB who came out of nowhere is Purdy good. :sarcasm:
He's "aight" I'd say. Still not their strength, but not a noticeable flaw either. Everything else is elite though. Don't think there's a better blanced and stacked team like SF in the league. They're going to lose everyone starting this off-season and continuing the next two years.

Just how it works. In either case - they do not want to retain these players - they're going to cash in while past their NFL prime. Love 'em, but, again, players like Juice and Kittle go in a "flash" because of how physical, even by NFL standards they play. Some are on the decline (yes, McCaffrey is not a long term investment , and should not be). amazing player, but I would not touch a longer deal.

I think LAR were maybe even in a worse spot before they won, but SF is going to be close in 18 months. This year or next. A re-build after that unless they keep their insane drafting. I know the staff is amazing, but there'a lot of luck there too. It can't stay at this level because no team has ever for a prolonged stretch.

I remember the Niners differently from their last wave when NYG blocked their way twice, once as a huge underdog. A very different team, but one I respcted a ton too. Hard-nosed, blue collar, "dirty" defense and an offence that just couldn't help that D out much. This, current installation is superior and very different. SOmehow they kept their physical style (to a lot lesser extent but it's there), but got some huge ballers on O. This one is FUN to watch and I wish them well.

Let's go nuts and give SF an imaginary Burrow or Herbert. Holy shit - what an unstoppable juggernaut they would be these last 2-3 years.

EDIT: Heck, I think they'd be better with "YOU LIKE THAT??!!" than Jimmy. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: peate

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just made $20 betting someone watching withb me that if iutweren't going to become 21-7 i'd be 17-14 at hlf.

Exacrtly as my script had it - it's too erarly for this team to contend.. They need more...

More time and more pieces fitting in nicely.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You see the glimpses of when it clicks... So nice to watch this team stating to row in one direction after close to a decade of mistakes, and missteps by early everyone in the management, former or present.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00