OT: Other Sports aka Home of the worst offenses in their respective leagues Thread XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
:laugh:

I get that it's easy to hate them. And I struggle with baseball in general.

But the 2017 version of that team is fun to watch.

Hmm...you make a valid point, but I think I'm going to counter with something that a really smart person once said:

RockLobster said:
No, that's false. The Yankees are never a good reason to watch the MLB. ;)

Oh wow...that is one smart guy, very much on point there! :D

(It should be noted/reminded--I'm a hardcore Boston Red Sox fan, so you might now understand my hatred of the Yanks)

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
It's nice that Rockies keep giving ABs to ****** players like CarGo and Ian Desmond, it's not like they have a top 100 prospect sitting on the bench or anything.
:deadhorse

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's nice that Rockies keep giving ABs to ****** players like CarGo and Ian Desmond, it's not like they have a top 100 prospect sitting on the bench or anything.
:deadhorse

Yeah it's a bit frustrating to watch Cargo and Desmond stink up the place, but Cargo has earned the right to try and work his was out of the slump, Desmond as well. Both are vets. The Rockies do need to be careful as there is that line where they start negatively impacting the team.

If there season continue the way they have expect guys like Tapia and Dahl (once healthy) slow take their playing time.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah it's a bit frustrating to watch Cargo and Desmond stink up the place, but Cargo has earned the right to try and work his was out of the slump, Desmond as well. Both are vets. The Rockies do need to be careful as there is that line where they start negatively impacting the team.

If there season continue the way they have expect guys like Tapia and Dahl (once healthy) slow take their playing time.
CarGo has gone on a hot streak in the past couple years, but I don't see it coming this year. I think he's reaching Carlos Gomez territory soon, where he gets DFA'd. Hope he proves me wrong, obviously.

Don't even know what happened to Desmond, he wasn't a great hitter in the past outside couple years but this year, his GB% is up 12% from his career numbers. His power is completely gone, I'll probably say he's still not 100% from his injury.

Draft news:
Ryan Vilade with the 48th pick. 3rd straight year they picked a 3B/SS. Colton Welker is doing great, not so much with Nevin. Rockies picked 48th overall couple years ago and picked this guy, who's pretty good. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa828689&position=P

Went with a reliever for pick #70 in Tommy Doyle, probably someone you get sign way below slot and then use that money in the later rounds.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Draft news:
Ryan Vilade with the 48th pick. 3rd straight year they picked a 3B/SS. Colton Welker is doing great, not so much with Nevin. Rockies picked 48th overall couple years ago and picked this guy, who's pretty good. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa828689&position=P

Went with a reliever for pick #70 in Tommy Doyle, probably someone you get sign way below slot and then use that money in the later rounds.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Brendan Rodgers (SS/3B) who is tearing up High-level A ball, and projects to enter the big leagues late 2018. Also Ryan McMahon of AAA is hitting above .300 in both AA and AAA this year, looks pretty decent.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Brendan Rodgers, SS/3B, Rockies top prospect, has a 21 game hitting streak, and hitting .400 through 200 AB

He's barely 20 years old. That's simply spectacular.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Brendan Rodgers (SS/3B) who is tearing up High-level A ball, and projects to enter the big leagues late 2018. Also Ryan McMahon of AAA is hitting above .300 in both AA and AAA this year, looks pretty decent.

Rockies are going to hit a point soon (if not already) where there are significant diminishing returns on prospects. They already have no room for the rookie starters. And soon the position players are going to run out of available positions.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a few guys get packaged for a top flight starter at the deadline or in December.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
im so afraid of getting a top flight starter for the rotation, as someone we bring in midseason hasnt had time to figure out coors field. these guys are all home growns or have spent significant time here, and they know the enigma better than adding like a top flight guy who has only pitched here a few times

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well Mayweather/McGregor is finally happening... it will be a complete joke, but make a ton of money.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Well Mayweather/McGregor is finally happening... it will be a complete joke, but make a ton of money.

As someone who doesn't watch boxing or MMA - can someone clarify for me, this is basically just a huge money grab where the appeal is basically the guys fighting and not really a quality boxing match right? I can only assume when one guy is an all time great boxer and the other dude isn't even a boxer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As someone who doesn't watch boxing or MMA - can someone clarify for me, this is basically just a huge money grab where the appeal is basically the guys fighting and not really a quality boxing match right? I can only assume when one guy is an all time great boxer and the other dude isn't even a boxer.

Pretty much... McGregor is probably going to get paid more in this fight than all of his other fights combined. Mayweather is going to bring in another 200-250m. The only chance McGregor has is to catch Mayweather with an odd shot and knock him out cold. Much, much easier said than done only one boxer has ever put Mayweather on the mat in his professional career. This will be a complete joke of a fight, but the build up will be epic.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty much... McGregor is probably going to get paid more in this fight than all of his other fights combined. Mayweather is going to bring in another 200-250m. The only chance McGregor has is to catch Mayweather with an odd shot and knock him out cold. Much, much easier said than done only one boxer has ever put Mayweather on the mat in his professional career. This will be a complete joke of a fight, but the build up will be epic.

It already is a complete joke because it caters almost exclusively to Mayweather (but, on the flipside, he has the "nothing to gain and everything to lose" tag on it too).

I personally don't like Mayweather, I'd love it if McGregor caught him early and knocked him on his ass.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
McGregor is not going to go get past the fourth round.

This is literally a guy with an amatuer boxing background against a legend. May is going to let McGregor tire himself out fast, then finish him in decisive fashion.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mayweather is a complete POS, but he might be the best defensive boxer of the past 30 years. He is all-time sort of great... and he is just going to rope a dope McGregor until McGregor tires. Then finish him off. It might be the easiest 200+m he will ever make. McGregor gets that retirement paycheck. A win for everybody, but the people who watch it. Hopefully the cards before are good.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Mayweather is a complete POS, but he might be the best defensive boxer of the past 30 years. He is all-time sort of great... and he is just going to rope a dope McGregor until McGregor tires. Then finish him off. It might be the easiest 200+m he will ever make. McGregor gets that retirement paycheck. A win for everybody, but the people who watch it. Hopefully the cards before are good.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ended in the first round.

All MMA fighters are trained to do is stand and throw as hard as they can at the other guy. No use of the jab, no sense of angles, no defending. Just run up and bomb away at the other guy and hope he falls first. It's entertaining, but McGregor is going to open himself to so many counters because eventually he's going to fall back into fighting this way.

I've always been of the opinion that the best way to fight May is to have a longer fighter that's committed to the jab and is able to keep Mayweather's hands up as they come inside. To me Oscar was the absolute blueprint to fighting Money, had that fight happened three or four years earlier I'm quite sure the fight would have gone the other way.

member 116861

McGregor should go 3-4 rounds and then DQ himself. That would be my strategy.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
There are only two possible outcomes to this fight:

1. Mayweather toys with McGregor, carries him through the fight and thoroughly embarrasses him.

or

2. Mayweather simply disposes of him in the first round. Floyd hasn't been a KO puncher in a long time due to a series of hand injuries, but he's in there with an amateur. He could end this fight with a single combination any time he wants to.

This is a bigger mismatch than Gall vs CM Punk or Rousey vs anybody who can actually punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad