OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Never liked Orton and it has nothing to do with Cutler.

He pretty much sealed it when he said he plays for his teammates and not the fans during the Tebow stuff. Even if you think that...don't say it publicly.

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
-snip-

Nastiness - the average career WAR for Rockies #1 draft picks is a cumulative 4.60, which is just 2 seasons of starter-quality baseball. ugly. And I shouldn't have even included Jake Westbrook in that calculation but I did.

Yeah.....that's bad. If you have a top pick in the MLB draft, I would always go with a hitter. I like Gray and all, but I was hoping Kris Bryant would fall to us :(

Matzek down the stretch was pretty good this year. Thought he was going to be another bust when things went south for him, good for him to fight through those and have some success.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
But when Manning is done we won't be even close to Cutler level at QB. Damned of you do, damned if you don't.
I don't see how you can possibly make that call.

We could very well end up with:
1. a new draft pick

2. a trade for an up and coming back up, eg. Houston trading for Schaub back in the day

3. Another veteran. Currently (and obviously some of these guys will be locked up long term before then and some of them aren't great anyway, just listing examples) slated to be 2016 free agents: Kirk Cousins, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, RG3, Sam Bradford, Kyle Orton, etc

4. Brock Osweiler actually panning out.

Jay Cutler is assured mediocrity. I'd rather take a chance at being great, even if it means risking being awful.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Cutlers problem is he gets impatient and let's pressure...real or imagined get the better of him.

And I hate this idea that Brock won't be any good when nobody really knows what he'll do.

On a different thread...are the Chiefs this good or the Pats this bad.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
In the past, "Touchdown Tom" masked a lot of NE's issues, he's not doing it this year. Coming into the game, he was 1 for 17 in passes over 20+ yards, that was the worst in the NFL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pats have a thin roster and Brady is finally getting a bit old, Chiefs play good at home. I'd say it's more indicative of the Pats finally taking a step back, though I never count them out in that division.

I can't predict the type of free agent market the Broncos will find when Manning is done but considering what meager pickings have been available the last few years I'm not holding my breath. Oz isn't the future, he's just not talented enough. He'll be prepared as any to get a chance but when he sucks and Fox gets fired the new regime can pick out their new QB by drafting one.

Can agree with the shot at glory, the Shanahan era became endless mediocrity.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Don't worry about the Rockies - next year they'll have 5 prospects that nobody's heard about that will be "the future of the franchise" and they will add more beers to the patio!

As for Brock, you gotta give the kid a break. How many reps do you really think he gets with Payton there? He's going to have to get some consistent snaps before anyone knows what we got. Payton I'm sure hogs all the QB snaps. Mentally Manning is probably great for Brock but from a repetition point he probably impedes his development.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's not talented enough, he's not franchise QB material. There is nothing he can do and his situation certainly isn't his fault. I'll be happy to see him get his shot but he's a placeholder at best. QB is a position you have to draft in the first round, there are exceptions but franchise QBs are first round talents. Even the Cutlers and Flaccos of the world were first rounders.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
^ I do see David Dahl being really good. Fun fact, he was #1 HS baseball prospect in state of Alabama, #2 was Jameis Winston. I remember hearing Jameis' loves baseball more than football.

I liked Osweiler in college. Good athlete for a huge guy. We already know that Manning doesn't really mentor anyone.

Glazer tweeted Dennis Allen is fired, it's official.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Kyle Orton showed up to work every day and said the right things. He took responsibility for the team's performance even when the front office and coaching staff was a gong show, he took the high road on the Cutler situation, he handled the Tebow situation with class, he was active in the community, and he played intelligently and carefully.

This is the same guy who wouldn't practice with Tebow and scuttled the Miami trade.

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
In the past, "Touchdown Tom" masked a lot of NE's issues, he's not doing it this year. Coming into the game, he was 1 for 17 in passes over 20+ yards, that was the worst in the NFL.

That and is O line is bad. Combine that with a loud arrowhead and its a recipe for disaster.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's not talented enough, he's not franchise QB material. There is nothing he can do and his situation certainly isn't his fault. I'll be happy to see him get his shot but he's a placeholder at best. QB is a position you have to draft in the first round, there are exceptions but franchise QBs are first round talents. Even the Cutlers and Flaccos of the world were first rounders.

I don't agree with that at all. And there is a long, long list to prove that kind of thinking just doesn't work.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Arizona is now ranked 4th in the NFL.com power rankings, thank god we are playing them at home. Cincy is # 2 and SD is # 5. Our schedule is something else this year. I know it is early in the season, but we play all of the current top five in the power rankings at some point this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Arizona is now ranked 4th in the NFL.com power rankings, thank god we are playing them at home. Cincy is # 2 and SD is # 5. Our schedule is something else this year. I know it is early in the season, but we play all of the current top five in the power rankings at some point this year.

All our tough games are early. I think it's so the networks can get a guaranteed game from Peyton either due to injury or sitting later. I know AZ is a good team but I don't know how good yet.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
All our tough games are early. I think it's so the networks can get a guaranteed game from Peyton either due to injury or sitting later. I know AZ is a good team but I don't know how good yet.

We still have some pretty tough games later on in the year, too, though. We play @KC, @SD, and @Cincy pretty late. Pretty brutal schedule altogether if you ask me. I'm not too worried because Peyton is such a good regular season QB, but geez.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Arizona is probably the 2nd best team in the NFC this year. They're winning games with Drew Stanton as their QB :laugh:

Don't think it's a long as you think. Of the current franchise QBs how many were taken outside of round 1?

Even if you find 100 exceptions, Oz isn't going to be one. That's the point.
How did you come to this conclusion when Osweiler hasn't taken a meaningful snap in his career?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Oz came out way too early - would have likely been a 1st rounder if he had stayed in school for one more year. He did have 1st round talent but left school WAY early into a deep QB class.

I dunno what we have in him - he's not a surefire starting QB, but tell me which QB with less than 2 pro games under their belt is? Bortles and Bridgewater looked good but I don't even think they're surefire guys yet. It unfortunately just takes time to evaluate a QB, and usually it's by throwing him to the wolves.

If it was the other way around and people were saying Brock is going to be a star, I wouldn't believe that either. The guy just has had zero chance to prove anything either way. I will say his physical tools are all there - he can run, he has a very strong arm, got the height etc....knock on his college ball was consistency and dumb decisions at times. I would say he is as talented (probably more) as EJ Manuel. Stronger arm but a little less mobile.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
speaking of QBs, remember when people thought Tom Brady was going to be better than Joe Montana?

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just can't be happy for the Royals. I should be, small market underdog that hasn't been successful in decades is exactly what I love to see. It's 100x better than the Yankees or some other obnoxious franchise winning. But I know it's fake, temporary. The little guy doesn't win in baseball. They have zero chance of beating the Angels. If they somehow do then it would be exciting but it just feels like a massive con to me. But sports is just temporary happiness anyway. Does it matter if it all ends tomorrow as long as you are happy tonight? Only certain people get to enjoy championships but a lot of other people don't and come back for more. I'm happy they are happy but I just don't believe it.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I just can't be happy for the Royals. I should be, small market underdog that hasn't been successful in decades is exactly what I love to see. It's 100x better than the Yankees or some other obnoxious franchise winning. But I know it's fake, temporary. The little guy doesn't win in baseball. They have zero chance of beating the Angels. If they somehow do then it would be exciting but it just feels like a massive con to me. But sports is just temporary happiness anyway. Does it matter if it all ends tomorrow as long as you are happy tonight? Only certain people get to enjoy championships but a lot of other people don't and come back for more. I'm happy they are happy but I just don't believe it.

It's been twenty-nine years, though.

Over the last 30 years there have been more different winners in baseball than any other sport. So there's that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
the Royals are my AL favorites. If you haven't been to Kauffman, I encourage you to go (think I've already written that a few times here - sorry!). Just an old baseball stadium with not a lot of attendance (until this year at least) and it was just a good place to go watch a baseball game without the overcrowding feel. I miss that place.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Baseball is the haves vs the have nots now. I guess they'll be happy winning the wildcard game for the next 29 years.

:laugh: So doom and gloomy, TV ;). Hell I would be happy, what the hell else does KC have to root for? I guess their football team is pretty good this year. :dunno:

Although- I do think that the money that some of these teams spend is ridiculous, something needs to be done about it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad