OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
EJ may well not be the answer but I still like the pick at the time. The bills hadn't pulled the trigger on a highly gifted QB in way too long for a team that has picked top ten as much as they have. EJ had a lot of polish missing and warts to his game, but he had the tools, not just physically, but he showed he understood the concept of throwing guys open with his arm and placement in spurts. And that sort of arm talent is what you want a QB to flash if he has the physical tools, and intelligence to groom. It was a good gamble at the time, and the year is still young, as is his career, he may still surprise us all before the season is through.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
San Diego is probably a better team than us right now. Philip Rivers - can't STAND him - has been lights out. As a football player he's pretty entertaining to watch but as a person he is a complete loser.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
McCown parlayed throwing to Marshall, Jefferies and Bennett with Forte running into a big time contract.

Really hate watching San Diego get to beat up on Jacksonville while we are stuck on a bye.

And folks in Chicago wanted the bears to keep him and ship cutler off for whatever they could get. I can't help but giggle at how much this city hates that guy despite the fact that last year was the first time since they traded for him that his OL wasn't hilariously incompetent.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
EJ may well not be the answer but I still like the pick at the time. The bills hadn't pulled the trigger on a highly gifted QB in way too long for a team that has picked top ten as much as they have. EJ had a lot of polish missing and warts to his game, but he had the tools, not just physically, but he showed he understood the concept of throwing guys open with his arm and placement in spurts. And that sort of arm talent is what you want a QB to flash if he has the physical tools, and intelligence to groom. It was a good gamble at the time, and the year is still young, as is his career, he may still surprise us all before the season is through.

I hope so - I'm a big FSU fan. EJ has all the gifts of a QB but he just needs to be consistent and get the mental aspect down. I'm rooting for him. I just don't think he'll make it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like the bills because of the soft spot I have for Buffalo and some of the wonderful people in that revitilizing town. Plus if you can dodge the dude-bro's of Chippewa, buffalo fans tend to have a refreshing sense of simultaneous boundless optimism and ultimate hopelessness. That makes it very funny to talk about sports with them...unless they're a dude-bro...

So for their sack I hope he does make it. The gamble made sense, though I never really expected it to really pay off. But Manuel has had moments where he showed a lot of the things you want from a franchise QB and they just weren't coming together to make it work smoothly. Which is why I do think he might still put it together, though their OL imploding after having so suddenly become really good, does not help.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So...Dennis Allen is fired. Should have never left the Broncos that early, especially to Oakland.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So...Dennis Allen is fired. Should have never left the Broncos that early, especially to Oakland.

The person who tweeted that has since deleted that tweet--though I don't doubt that he either is fired or will be fired at some point in the season (or off-season).

The Raiders are just a mess of a franchise, they can't expect a coach to come in to the messhole that is their team and expect a quick turnaround. (and I am not saying this in defense of Allen just speaking generally)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Going to go out on a limb and say he never becomes anything

That's a very mean thing to say just because he's a baseball player. There's at least hundreds of Americans who actually care about baseball, and being important to them may not mean anything to anyone but those couple hundred octogenarians, but that's still something...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
U2J7TrN.jpg

Nastiness - the average career WAR for Rockies #1 draft picks is a cumulative 4.60, which is just 2 seasons of starter-quality baseball. ugly. And I shouldn't have even included Jake Westbrook in that calculation but I did.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Bills benching EJ and starting Orton.
Good for them.

I think Orton is underrated, and he caught a lot of crap from Broncos fans because they were ******** about Cutler leaving.

The teams he was on here were by and large terrible, and people have a skewed perspective of the Tebow season. In that regular season, the Broncos beat exactly one team that finished with a winning record, and Kyle Orton was the quarterback for that game. Tebow had a run of good fortune playing bad teams (many of whom also had backup QBs) at a time when our defense was firing on all cylinders. To his credit, he made plays at clutch time and was fun (if excruciating at times) to watch.

But Orton? He's a smart, accurate quarterback. He has the right demeanor, his arm strength (while certainly not great) is not nearly as bad as most of his critics allege, and he still has a winning record as a starting quarterback despite finishing 4-14 over his last 18 games with a McDaniels-led Broncos team. He was put in a terrible situation here and he did the best that could have been expected.

He's not going to go out there and win the Bills any games with his talent, but he can certainly win them some with his brain. They have a lot of talent on offense and and aggressive defense. If Buffalo can keep him upright he will win them more games than he loses this year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Good for them.

I think Orton is underrated, and he caught a lot of crap from Broncos fans because they were ******** about Cutler leaving.

The teams he was on here were by and large terrible, and people have a skewed perspective of the Tebow season. In that regular season, the Broncos beat exactly one team that finished with a winning record, and Kyle Orton was the quarterback for that game. Tebow had a run of good fortune playing bad teams (many of whom also had backup QBs) at a time when our defense was firing on all cylinders. To his credit, he made plays at clutch time and was fun (if excruciating at times) to watch.

But Orton? He's a smart, accurate quarterback. He has the right demeanor, his arm strength (while certainly not great) is not nearly as bad as most of his critics allege, and he still has a winning record as a starting quarterback despite finishing 4-14 over his last 18 games with a McDaniels-led Broncos team. He was put in a terrible situation here and he did the best that could have been expected.

He's not going to go out there and win the Bills any games with his talent, but he can certainly win them some with his brain. They have a lot of talent on offense and and aggressive defense. If Buffalo can keep him upright he will win them more games than he loses this year.

:lol:

His attitude sucked, his accuracy is worse than Cutler's and he stalls like a Ford in the red zone.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
:lol:
His attitude sucked, his accuracy is worse than Cutler's and he stalls like a Ford in the red zone.
I was not comparing his accuracy with Cutler's. I was saying that in the general sense, and especially in comparison with the guy he's replacing, his throws are on time and on target. He's certainly no Drew Brees.

Cutler is also a turnover machine, a quitter, a choke artist, and an arrogant punk whose team mates haven't been shy to go after in the media. He's won a grand total of one playoff games in his career. His decision making, demeanor, and suspect durability have repeatedly cost the Bears, and he also repeatedly failed at clinching a playoff berth in Denver despite having ample opportunity.

Kyle Orton showed up to work every day and said the right things. He took responsibility for the team's performance even when the front office and coaching staff was a gong show, he took the high road on the Cutler situation, he handled the Tebow situation with class, he was active in the community, and he played intelligently and carefully.

I'm not at all saying that Orton was a better player than Cutler, but Orton and two first round picks+a third round pick was better for our team than Cutler and a fifth would have been (regardless of how the actual picks turned out for both teams) in that particular situation. Plus, we'd never have landed Manning if we hadn't made that trade. We'd be stuck in the Jay Cutler/Tony Romo purgatory of never being good enough to contend, but never bad enough to spur a shake-up of the status quo.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But when Manning is done we won't be even close to Cutler level at QB. Damned of you do, damned if you don't.

I love how when the Bears win 2 consecutive games they are going to the Super Bowl. Every time.

Anyone read that article about how Cutler was almost traded to Washington and didn't because the Broncos preferred Orton to Campbell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad