OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Lost in this Tulo's great offensive start is that he's been amazing defensively once again as well. Already at 10 DRS, which is 2nd behind Heyward's 14.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Jernigan flunked his urine test with a diluted sample. So did Mettenberger. Would probably take either guy to be honest if they slipped badly.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I just worry about when the hitting goes cold and the rockies sink hard.

Their A lineup has too much talent for all of them to go cold at once:
1B Morneau (career .279)
2B LeMahieu (career .282)
3B Arenado (career .277)
SS Tulowitzki (career .298)
LF Gonzalez (career .297)
CF Blackmon (career .305)
RF Cuddyer (career .277)
C Rosario (career .274)

If they can get Rosario/Cuddyer back and keep Morneau, Tulo, and CarGo healthy this team is going to lead the majors in pretty much every offensive category.

It all comes down to two things, in my opinion:
1. Belisle and Brothers. If the Rockies are going to make the playoffs, they NEED these two guys to get right. Our bullpen is set up for them to eat up a lot of important innings.

2. Starting pitching, obviously. Nicasio and Lyles have pitched well thus far, but both guys are still young and could struggle for long periods of time. De La Rosa has been shaky this year but has pitched well in four straight starts. If he and Chacin stay healthy and pitch like they did last year, I think we'll at least end up in a wild card.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think if Shazier is on the board still when the Broncos pick he will be the pick, if he's not who knows I could easily see a trade down.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think if Shazier is on the board still when the Broncos pick he will be the pick, if he's not who knows I could easily see a trade down.

With all the teams supposedly trying to move from early second roud back into the first for guys like bridgewater I think the chances of them moving back are pretty good as well. I can't think of any scenario where they move up though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I've not paid any attention to all the lead up to the draft. I really don't understand why they moved the draft back a few weeks. As if they need even more hype around this thing.

Is Bridgewater really expected to fall to the 2nd round? I thought he was supposed to go 1st overall...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've not paid any attention to all the lead up to the draft. I really don't understand why they moved the draft back a few weeks. As if they need even more hype around this thing.

Is Bridgewater really expected to fall to the 2nd round? I thought he was supposed to go 1st overall...

Put the draft in May sweeps for ratings. But I agree, the two extra weeks wasn't needed.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
One thing is sure, if you really need a QB this isn't a draft you get all excited about.

As for the Rockies, it's nice to see them doing well, hopefully they can all stay healthy for the bigger part of the season.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

There was a quote from a GM saying that he thought Bridgewater was a 4th round QB. I don't agree with that, but that's some dude's assessment.

All it takes though is for just one team to love a player and grab him.

Regardless, I think you're going to see some QB's slide and teams at the end of the round are going to probably be deciding to invest in a long term QB project or move back and let these early second round teams move up to snag them.

It could be just blowing smoke but a lot of these early teams in the 1st round seem to be sending out the vibe that they're going to wait until late 1st/early 2nd to take a QB. But then you got guys like Jerry Jones saying they want Manziel badly.

Who knows. Everything's a bluff/smoke right now. But it makes for an entertaining draft, that's for sure.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
No one has mentioned it here, but Denver signed DT Marvin Austin. Was a stud prospect 3 years ago, but has bombed in the NFL since.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
It could be just blowing smoke but a lot of these early teams in the 1st round seem to be sending out the vibe that they're going to wait until late 1st/early 2nd to take a QB. But then you got guys like Jerry Jones saying they want Manziel badly.

for Manziel's sake I hope the Cowboys draft him. Not that he'll ever win a Superbowl there, but he'd make more in endorsements than any other NFLer and just about any other pro athlete besides Tiger and Lebron.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Mike Evans bailed out Manziel so many times this year.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
for Manziel's sake I hope the Cowboys draft him. Not that he'll ever win a Superbowl there, but he'd make more in endorsements than any other NFLer and just about any other pro athlete besides Tiger and Lebron.

If Manziel goes to the cowboys that's your #1 selling NFL jersey next year.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I am stunned Dan Reeves got into the Ring of Fame on Elway's watch. Unless those rumors that they made peace are true.

I'm even more stunned Ed McCaffrey still ISN'T in. Would have figured he would have been in before Nalen and certainly before the 3 honorees this year. although both Upchurch and Mingo are long overdue.

Huis Clos*

I am stunned Dan Reeves got into the Ring of Fame on Elway's watch. Unless those rumors that they made peace are true.

I'm even more stunned Ed McCaffrey still ISN'T in. Would have figured he would have been in before Nalen and certainly before the 3 honorees this year. although both Upchurch and Mingo are long overdue.

Centers don't usually make the HOF with any regularity, but if they did Nalen would be in. He was as important if not more than McCaffrey in those SB wins.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Upchurch is way overdue. Nalen is a definite induction for me.... I dunno about Eddie. He's now on the fringe though and probably up next if they do another induction over the next few years.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I never said I didn't think Nalen deserved to be up there. He certainly does. I'm just surprised Eddie isn't up there and would have pegged him for induction years ago.

I think Elam is next on the list. Bowlen said at his retirement that Elam would be going up as soon as he was eligible.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Brandon Barnes has higher WAR than Fowler.

Yes, it's only May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad