OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I do sympathise with the fact that he takes so much heat for not speaking to the press. I swear that makes you worse than Sandusky in their eyes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If he truly has anxiety or whatever then I get it's rough. But by doing this it constantly becomes the story. If he showed up and muttered a few jock cliches then nobody would care. So to that extent I think it's pretty ridiculous. He clearly plans it. Didn't his own mother say he doesn't like people? I know the press has a job to do and it goes a lot easier to just give them a quote so they can do their jobs but they don't help by making it a spectacle and it's not like there aren't 50 other people to interview. It's just so stupid it's a thing.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
If he truly has anxiety or whatever then I get it's rough. But by doing this it constantly becomes the story. If he showed up and muttered a few jock cliches then nobody would care. So to that extent I think it's pretty ridiculous. He clearly plans it. Didn't his own mother say he doesn't like people? I know the press has a job to do and it goes a lot easier to just give them a quote so they can do their jobs but they don't help by making it a spectacle and it's not like there aren't 50 other people to interview. It's just so stupid it's a thing.

I actually disagree with this, I think the guy is one of those players who really doesn't like talking to the press for whatever reason. I don't think he is trying to make it a thing, it's just the way he is.

I do agree that it has become beyond ridiculous, I just don't blame him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He knew he had to stay exactly 5 minutes to avoid a fine and had a prepared one sentence answer. That's not indicative of planning? I can believe it originates from him not liking it vs wanting to be a spectacle but that's what it's become and I don't believe he's a moron and knows that.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
He knew he had to stay exactly 5 minutes to avoid a fine and had a prepared one sentence answer. That's not indicative of planning? I can believe it originates from him not liking it vs wanting to be a spectacle but that's what it's become and I don't believe he's a moron and knows that.

Yeah, I'm sure that was planned.

I guess I was arguing that the reason this has become a "thing" at all is not his fault. The guy's just a football player, not the speaker of the house. Who gives a crap (not saying you do, but obviously somebody does) whether or not he talks to the media or not. I sure as hell don't.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree the attention the media gives it sucks too. Too bad there isn't a way to work around it. Maybe agree on more community appearances or something so it's a positive than a negative.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He's making it more of a bigger deal than it would be if he just gave the generic athlete answers to the generic questions they're asked.

Also, he did clearly plan this one...he stopped at 4 minutes and 51 seconds, saying "Time." before leaving...

If he doesn't want to talk to the media, he can find another profession--talking to the media is apart of professional sports (whether it should or shouldn't be is another topic altogether)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If he doesn't want to talk to the media, he can find another profession--talking to the media is apart of professional sports (whether it should or shouldn't be is another topic altogether)

I agree with you - the NFL is a brand. It's a brand that can afford to pay these guys $8M/year. The brand depends on players being interactive with fans and the media; without publicity and TV deals this league makes no money and is the same as Arena ball. Media interaction helps pay the players own salaries.

My struggle with this concept though is that on the flip side, the NFL lets everyone walk through the door to play on Sundays for the shield. Rapist? no problem. Marijuana? sign him up. Spouse abuse? No worries he's changed. The same standards that they put into place to make someone a "good media guy" are thrown out the window when it comes to penalizing or not letting the bad guy walk into the league. For $8M/year the riff raff shouldn't be in this league. It just comes off really weird to me that they'd punish a guy for not talking to the media when they have an entire can of worms on the flip side of the equation like Hardy and Ray Rice that they let go completely out of control. Not talking to the media is nothing compared to the other behaviorial issues that are going on in this league. They continually employee questionable players and then act surprised when things go wrong. Meanwhile there's thousands of quality people at the NCAA level that never play again and are never given a chance despite their good character and work ethic. How does Josh Gordon get opportunity after opportunity in this league yet he's never been able to play 2-3 consecutive years of football because of all his issues? Give someone else that wants and deserves it a chance.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He's making it more of a bigger deal than it would be if he just gave the generic athlete answers to the generic questions they're asked.

Also, he did clearly plan this one...he stopped at 4 minutes and 51 seconds, saying "Time." before leaving...

Considering the NFL is breathing down his neck, but was shocked that people were upset about Domestic Violence and possible equipment tampering, I'm going to say they have their priorities out of whack on this one.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
I'm happy for him for standing up to the press.

Saying a bunch of generic cliches would not be a better alternative. Crosby and many other hockey players look like gigantic idiots and become completely unlikeable when they do that.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Wade Phillips is our new defensive coordinator.

There's a ton of Broncos experience on our coaching staff

Check out how many seasons these guys have logged in Denver:
Gary Kubiak: 1983-1991 (QB), 1995-2005 (OC), 1995-2002 (QB coach), 2015 (HC)
Rick Dennison: 1982-1990 (LB), 1995-1996 (offensive assistant), 1997-2000 (Special teams), 2001-2005 (OL coach), 2006-2008 (OC), 2009 (OL coach), 2015 (OC) also went to CSU
Greg Knapp: 2013-2015 (QB coach)
Eric Studesville: 2010-2015 (RB coach), 2010 (interim HC)
Tyke Tolbert: 2011-2015 (WR coach)
Brian Pariani: 1995-2004 (TE coach), 2015 (TE coach)
Clancy Barone: 2009 (TE coach), 2010 (OL coach), 2011-2014 (TE coach), 2015 (OL coach)
James Cregg: 2015 (OL assistant ), also played college ball at CSU and coached there 1997-1999
Wade Phillips: 1989-1992 (DC), 1993-1994 (HC), 2015 (DC)
Bill Kollar: 2015 (DL coach)
Reggie Herring: 2015 (LB coach)
Joe DeCamillis: 1988-1992 (special teams), 2015 (special teams) also born in Arvada, went to Wyoming

At least one of these dudes has been a Denver Bronco every single season since 1982. That's pretty crazy to think about.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Considering the NFL is breathing down his neck, but was shocked that people were upset about Domestic Violence and possible equipment tampering, I'm going to say they have their priorities out of whack on this one.

I'm not disagreeing.

But he's still reached a point now where it seems like he's doing it just to antagonize the NFL and their rules.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
It makes reupping or replacing Pot Roast imperative.
Agreed. If he wasn't the #2 priority after DT before...he is now.

While having a young hungry guy like Joseph would be nice. Having an experienced guy as DC in "win now" mode is fine by me. Plus he's not going to be a "one foot out the door" guy like Del Rio.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
If there's someone who has exhausted all his head coaching opportunities it's Wade.
Not saying he'll get another head coaching job, but he is 20 games over .500 as a head coach. Kubiak is 3 games under.

The notion that Wade is a terrible head coach is a complete misnomer. He hasn't had a ton of playoff success but he had a .600+ winning percentage in Buffalo and Dallas.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not saying he'll get another head coaching job, but he is 20 games over .500 as a head coach. Kubiak is 3 games under.

The notion that Wade is a terrible head coach is a complete misnomer. He hasn't had a ton of playoff success but he had a .600+ winning percentage in Buffalo and Dallas.

He's pretty much the same as John Fox--good knowledge of the game, especially the defensive side, but not a good in-game tactician, and too conservative overall.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Watt is the best defensive player in the NFL, I don't think there's much discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad