OT: Other Sports aka BRONCOS WON THE SUPER BOWL!!! BRONCOS OFFSEASON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It was so bad that I was hoping the Padres still wanted him and we could just traded him for Shields (salary retained if it was needed)...at least then it could have resulted in both Sandoval being gone AND either Bucholz (Mr Glass) or Porcello not being in the rotation...

Oh well, hopefully he'll do SOMETHING to earn his money this year

I mean there is no doubt in my mind that he is a clutch player. I just thought he should have stayed in SF.....they loved him there. Boston is just a different animal as far as baseball is concerned.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
rumor is he wants 5 years 75....

let him get his payday. guy is hell of a player. if his motive is money, he has earned it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Malik would be nice to keep, but if he does leave I think they can at least duct tape up the hole and use the money for the other line.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think Bruton's a lost cause too. Would love to keep him but I think he wants to start.

I really think he's underrated too. Wish him the best - seems like a good guy off the field

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think they are gonna build the o-line through the draft. I think Malik's money (assuming he walks) is gonna go to Travathan, Marshall and maybe Bruton/Bolden.
I'm even less hopeful about Trevathan, the Broncos seem to like Todd Davis and Shaq Barret.

Marshal is an RFA so they can snooze alarm his payday till next off season.

Probably right. All the locker room stuff is where we are gonna miss him the most.

In which case retaining DeMarcus would be even more imperative. Would love to keep Brute, but I can see how he'll get priced out of the Broncos.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Rumor that the Broncos are close to a long term deal with Von. No word on financials.

This would be the best case scenario, would enable them to franchise Malik or Brock.

I suggested that last week (Malik, not Brock) and someone said that would be a bad idea. I meant to ask why, but forgot. If Miller is signed, why would franchising Jackson be a bad idea?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I suggested that last week (Malik, not Brock) and someone said that would be a bad idea. I meant to ask why, but forgot. If Miller is signed, why would franchising Jackson be a bad idea?

Pisses him off? Idk. Paying Von what he is worth (aka a-metric-****ton) and franchising Jackson is best case imo.

EDIT: Well then. Guess Brock isn't getting franchised.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
there would be all kinds of dispute between Malik and the team if they went the franchise route.

Is he a 3-4 DT, 4-3 DE or a 3-4 DE? Makes a WORLD of difference in pay. Over his career he's lined up I think in all of those situations

anleva

Aug 2, 2005
Rumor that the Broncos are close to a long term deal with Von. No word on financials.

This would be the best case scenario, would enable them to franchise Malik or Brock.

No thanks. Malik apparently is classified as a DE and that would be 15.4M. QB is 19.6M. Too much for the Broncos to pay for either.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah, heard Klis say that on the Fan. Let him walk for that much.

Franchise Travathan maybe.

I wouldn't do that. Trevathan is an above average player who is going to get paid like a stud player.

Unlike Malik Jackson, who is a stud player who is going to get paid like a stud player.

Franchise tags shouldn't be used on above average players, especially at positions that are relatively easy to fill: ILB, RB, G, etc.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Elway said they would consider using the non-exclusive tag on Malik Jackson. The money drops a bit (I'm not sure how much... whatever is the difference between the average of the top five salaries at the DE position for the last year vs the average top five salaries of the past five years). It allows other teams to negotiate and sign Jackson to the offer sheet which the Broncos would have the option of matching or be compensated with two first round picks. I would think it would likely deter any team from negotiating with him though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My Broncos all-time team using a 3-4:

QB: John Elway
RB: Terrel Davis
RB: Floyd Little
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Ed McCaffrey
TE: Shannon Sharpe
OT: Gary Zimmerman
OG: Mark Schlereth
C: Tom Nalen
OG: Keith Bishop
OT: Ryan Clady

DE: Lyle Alzado
NT: Reuben Carter
DE: Rulon Jones
OLB: Von Miller
ILB: Randy Gradishar
ILB: Karl Mecklenberg
OLB: Tom Jackson
CB: Champ Bailey
SS: Dennis Smith
FS: Steve Atwater
CB: Louis Wright

K: Jason Elam
P: Tom Rouen
KR/PR: Rick Upchurch

Clady is still on the roster, but I'm resigned to him leaving.

Demaryus could displace McCaffrey soon.

If there were a nickleback, Chris Harris Jr would be fighting it out with Ray Crockett and Tyrone Braxton.

Maybe Wolfe and/or Malik Jackson would supplant the DE's.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
My Broncos all-time team using a 3-4:

QB: John Elway
RB: Terrel Davis
RB: Floyd Little
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Ed McCaffrey
TE: Shannon Sharpe
OT: Gary Zimmerman
OG: Mark Schlereth
C: Tom Nalen
OG: Keith Bishop
OT: Ryan Clady

DE: Lyle Alzado
NT: Reuben Carter
DE: Rulon Jones
OLB: Von Miller
ILB: Randy Gradishar
ILB: Karl Mecklenberg
OLB: Tom Jackson
CB: Champ Bailey
SS: Dennis Smith
FS: Steve Atwater
CB: Louis Wright

K: Jason Elam
P: Tom Rouen
KR/PR: Rick Upchurch

Clady is still on the roster, but I'm resigned to him leaving.

Demaryus could displace McCaffrey soon.

If there were a nickleback, Chris Harris Jr would be fighting it out with Ray Crockett and Tyrone Braxton.

Maybe Wolfe and/or Malik Jackson would supplant the DE's.

The Broncos just fielded one of the best defenses in history, and only one player from that roster makes the list? ;) I'm guessing length of tenure is a strong criterion.

Pretty cool trip down memory lane here. Glad you posted this.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'd plug in someone from the current team in place of Alzado by virtue of him spending too much time as a Raider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad