Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.

If it's short term rentals then no, but either at the deadline or the offseason they have got to address the bullpen in a meaningful way. It's still not nearly good enough.

As for bats, when the hell is Dahl coming back?

Deep down I wish the Rox would somehow get a top-tier catcher. I'm not sure there's a single organization that's mishandled that position worse than the Rockies. I could post a history of how badly they've screwed up there starting with Girardi, but y'all probably would tl;dr it. :laugh:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
What do you Rockies fans think of buying help at the deadline? I think they are freaking nuts if they trade Rogers.
Hitters

Wes Rogers is good, but not good enough to go freaking nuts if traded :sarcsam:

Brendan Rodgers should be untouchable

They should trade McGee and/or Holland if they get an offer like the Pirates did with Melancon last year.

Also in the offseason if Arenado wants close to 250M, I think they should think about moving him too.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Hitters

Wes Rogers is good, but not good enough to go freaking nuts if traded :sarcsam:

Brendan Rodgers should be untouchable

They should trade McGee and/or Holland if they get an offer like the Pirates did with Melancon last year.

Also in the offseason if Arenado wants close to 250M, I think they should think about moving him too.

Lol that Melancon trade was silly.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Gawd, just cut the guy already...

Anyhow, I've wasted enough time on Tebow. TBH Jacksonville should have moved to L.A. or St. Louis or something resembling an NFL market. Tebow's NFL prospects are a joke but so is that franchise. That's all I'll say about that.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the NFL in general these days. I will of course watch the Broncos but you couldn't pay me to watch anyone else, nor will I waste my time with pre-game shows that don't involve Charissa Thompson.
agree with everything said here. I used to be a die-hard broncos fan. Now I just really don't care for football and I don't know why

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Gawd, just cut the guy already...

Anyhow, I've wasted enough time on Tebow. TBH Jacksonville should have moved to L.A. or St. Louis or something resembling an NFL market. Tebow's NFL prospects are a joke but so is that franchise. That's all I'll say about that.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the NFL in general these days. I will of course watch the Broncos but you couldn't pay me to watch anyone else, nor will I waste my time with pre-game shows that don't involve Charissa Thompson.

I still really enjoy football, but the current product has a couple of major flaws.

I believe the biggest problem football has, is that 90%+ of the most athletic players who are 230lbs and above, are all playing defense. That's where most of the speed/skill is. QBs have a second or two at most to throw the ball, which leads to lots of very short quick plays. A couple dozen 3 yard passes in a row gets a bit old.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I still really enjoy football, but the current product has a couple of major flaws.

I believe the biggest problem football has, is that 90%+ of the most athletic players who are 230lbs and above, are all playing defense. That's where most of the speed/skill is. QBs have a second or two at most to throw the ball, which leads to lots of very short quick plays. A couple dozen 3 yard passes in a row gets a bit old.

Yep, if I recall correctly the two of us already talked about this at length, and that is the crux of the issue. O-lines have never been in a worse shape in the NFL, and the big reasons for that are both lack of development of good O-linemen at the collegiate level and the fact that everyone that has a combination of strength and speed is pushed towards playing D because $ there is better and because teams today are so focused on having elite D-lines, at both the NCAA and pro levels.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yep, if I recall correctly the two of us already talked about this at length, and that is the crux of the issue. O-lines have never been in a worse shape in the NFL, and the big reasons for that are both lack of development of good O-linemen at the collegiate level and the fact that everyone that has a combination of strength and speed is pushed towards playing D because $ there is better and because teams today are so focused on having elite D-lines, at both the NCAA and pro levels.

It's grossly imbalanced, and I wonder if the NFL will tweak a rule or two to balance it out.

Good edge rushers have always been able to outflank most OTs. But today, even OGs/OTs can't run block one-on-one against the DEs/DTs across the line. The Dline is universally more athletic than the Oline now. Much more so. So not only can't QBs throw deep due to lack of time, teams can't run much anymore either. So we end up with these 3 yard passes all game long.

One thing that could balance the scales, would be a "limited blitz rule". For example, the defense can't rush more than 5 guys past the line of scrimmage on a pass play while the QB is still in the pocket (that 5 number could be some other number, it's just an example). If it's a run play or the QB leaves the pocket, all bets are off - release the dogs. A rule like this would allow QBs a bit of time to find the one or two 220+lb star athletes on offense downfield, and would still allow defenses to be creative and aggressive with pass rushing.

I don't like gimmicks, and this seems a bit like one. But there are a lot of other rules in place to make NFL offenses more effective, why not one more?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It would help if Goodell would go with the obvious remedy and exchange looser enforcement on marijuana for more practice time in the summer.

His contract is up next season, I expect he will be gone after that.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It would help if Goodell would go with the obvious remedy and exchange looser enforcement on marijuana for more practice time in the summer.

His contract is up next season, I expect he will be gone after that.

Goodell seems popular with the owners. Seems like Bettman where the fans all hate him and hope he disappears but owners love him so he's going nowhere ever.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
agree with everything said here. I used to be a die-hard broncos fan. Now I just really don't care for football and I don't know why

It's a completely unwatchable product these days. Bad QBs, incompetent, control-freak coaches, poor blocking, and flags, flags, FLAGS flying all over the damned place.

Oh and don't get me started on the double standard the league puts out there for conduct. They don't seem to give a damn whether or not you bash a woman's face in, but GOD FORBID you do a crazy touchdown dance.

Well I guess I did get started but you get my drift...:laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if Goddell stuck around. He's the most incompetent commissioner in sports (and that is saying something) but as others have said, he's in the owners' pocket, not like they have much reason to boot him, except for the fact that Goodell is making INSANE money for doing an egregiously bad job.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The O-Line / D-Line thing will work itself out.

OT's used to be paid premium money in the NFL. That money transferred to the DL a while back. It's a cycle - it will revert back and we'll be complaining about how it's impossible to find good DE's in a few years.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Goodell seems popular with the owners.

I actually doubt that. He definitely alienated his best friend in the ownership circle in Robert Kraft, I'm sure there are owners tired of paying players to serve suspensions for his personal reefer madness, playing favorites with Biscotti in the Ray Rice case probably raised a few hackles and this is group of people who have truckloads of experience cutting people when they become a liability.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I actually doubt that. He definitely alienated his best friend in the ownership circle in Robert Kraft, I'm sure there are owners tired of paying players to serve suspensions for his personal reefer madness, playing favorites with Biscotti in the Ray Rice case probably raised a few hackles and this is group of people who have truckloads of experience cutting people when they become a liability.

I admittedly don't follow football that closely, but I have never gotten the feeling that many commissioners do anything the owners don't want. David Stern might be the only exception.

I just googled Roger Goodell Owner Popularity and most of the articles seem to follow this one.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/repo...r-goodell-is-wildly-popular-among-nfl-owners/

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Oh and don't get me started on the double standard the league puts out there for conduct. They don't seem to give a damn whether or not you bash a woman's face in, but GOD FORBID you do a crazy touchdown dance.

I detoxed from football living abroad for 5 years, before the internet days when you could watch it anywhere. When I came back I just couldn't really care anymore, a lot of it was this. There's almost a death penalty for smoking weed, while the players are almost immorally dosed up on painkillers and god knows what else. And the fake moral evangelism about touchdown dances and what will the kids at home think. I dunno I think I really struggled to get back into it.

That said the Broncos winning the Super Bowl was pretty cool.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I halfheartedly follow football. I watch Bronco games and cheer appropriately, and I understand all the rules and strategies, but since any attempt to watch a game I don't care about ends with me browsing Wikipedia on my phone I can't follow the sport the way I follow hockey. I let my dad fill me in on who was signed and who was cut and all the minutiae of the sport.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
There also just seems to be an absurd amount of ads in Football. I dunno why but baseball ads seems natural enough, hockey ads are generally short 90 seconds bursts. Soccer has no ads. The NFL just seems to have non stop ad breaks. It drives me nuts. The NBA isn't much better.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The O-Line / D-Line thing will work itself out.

OT's used to be paid premium money in the NFL. That money transferred to the DL a while back. It's a cycle - it will revert back and we'll be complaining about how it's impossible to find good DE's in a few years.

Well, OTs are still paid a ton.

But I don't think we'll see what you are describing any time soon. It's so skewed the other way right now, it would take a very long time.

There also just seems to be an absurd amount of ads in Football. I dunno why but baseball ads seems natural enough, hockey ads are generally short 90 seconds bursts. Soccer has no ads. The NFL just seems to have non stop ad breaks. It drives me nuts. The NBA isn't much better.

The NFL came out this offseason and said they are trying to deal with this. To what extent, I have no idea. But the one thing that kills me in this regard, is when they play 4-5 commercials after a TD is scored, come back and do a kickoff (which almost 100% of the time is a kneeldown in the end zone), then immediately go to another 4-5 commercials.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Quick question for those of you who know Coors Field:

Is the lower level along the 3rd base line in the shade for day games? Or is everything down there pretty much a burn zone? :)

Thank you.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Quick question for those of you who know Coors Field:

Is the lower level along the 3rd base line in the shade for day games? Or is everything down there pretty much a burn zone? :)

Thank you.

Sorry I'm dumb missed the day game comment. ONly the higher bits are covered

coors-field-section-319-view.jpg

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well, OTs are still paid a ton.

But I don't think we'll see what you are describing any time soon. It's so skewed the other way right now, it would take a very long time.

The NFL came out this offseason and said they are trying to deal with this. To what extent, I have no idea. But the one thing that kills me in this regard, is when they play 4-5 commercials after a TD is scored, come back and do a kickoff (which almost 100% of the time is a kneeldown in the end zone), then immediately go to another 4-5 commercials.

YES that is exactly what I mean. Thankfully they don't interrupt a drive but there's almost 5-6 minutes of commercials between change of possessions.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
But the one thing that kills me in this regard, is when they play 4-5 commercials after a TD is scored, come back and do a kickoff (which almost 100% of the time is a kneeldown in the end zone), then immediately go to another 4-5 commercials.

you forgot the commercials between the TD and the extra point

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For you Bronco's fans out there. Have you ever watched the Broncos on the road. If so, where? How does the experience stack up compared to watching a game at Sports Authority?

We're planning a trip and I want to see a football game. I've never been to an NFL game and I feel like my first really should be in Denver to get the full experience but if the experience isn't all that different maybe i'll plan a trip somewhere else. Miami in December sounds like a nice place to be. Plus the Avs are doing their Florida trip the same week.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For you Bronco's fans out there. Have you ever watched the Broncos on the road. If so, where? How does the experience stack up compared to watching a game at Sports Authority?

We're planning a trip and I want to see a football game. I've never been to an NFL game and I feel like my first really should be in Denver to get the full experience but if the experience isn't all that different maybe i'll plan a trip somewhere else. Miami in December sounds like a nice place to be. Plus the Avs are doing their Florida trip the same week.

Don't risk your life by going to a Raiders game! I've heard some horror stories...

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Atmosphere wise if you are a Broncos fan you probably want to go to a Broncos game to have everybody cheering with you. Going to a Dolphins, Jags or Bucs game, the atmosphere is going to more of a nobody gives a crap. Going to a good team's stadium like the Packers or Seahawks you're just going to get massive hostility towards you, but the atmosphere will be more interested than Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad