OT: Other Sports aka BROCK no PEYTON XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think if that were the case they'd have come to an agreement by now... that was the case with the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Supersonics. The Rams were in LA for 48 years and in St. Louis for 20... the franchise has more roots in LA than any other NFL team.

The only reason I would raise a counterargument is that they won their Super Bowl (I didn't mean to say "Super Bowls" last go-round) in St. Louis, if that city ever gets another NFL team, they deserve to be able to officially recognize that they've won a SB. The Rams may have been in LA for 48 years, but they achieved their greatest success in St. Louis. That was pretty much my justification for my opinion.

I do understand where you're coming from, and agree that it also makes sense.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
The Baltimore Colts won a Super Bowl, and the Raiders won Super Bowls in both Oakland and LA before moving as well so there's precedent. And I suppose if you wanted to get really technical, the Rams won an NFL title in the pre Super Bowl era in 1951 (no, I didn't know that off the top of my head! :) ) I don't really care either way to be honest, but there was a group of LA based Rams fans who continued to root for them while in St. Louis... I'm not sure how large they are, and I suspect there's also a group of Raiders fans still in LA. In the case of the Supersonics and Browns those teams were founded in those cities.

I think the Chargers may want to think about moving to St. Louis. Spanos has kind of burned bridges in San Diego, and if he moves the team to LA he's going to be Kroenke's b!#ch.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Baltimore Colts won a Super Bowl, and the Raiders won Super Bowls in both Oakland and LA before moving as well so there's precedent. And I suppose if you wanted to get really technical, the Rams won an NFL title in the pre Super Bowl era in 1951 (no, I didn't know that off the top of my head! :) ) I don't really care either way to be honest, but there was a group of LA based Rams fans who continued to root for them while in St. Louis... I'm not sure how large they are, and I suspect there's also a group of Raiders fans still in LA. In the case of the Supersonics and Browns those teams were founded in those cities.

I think the Chargers may want to think about moving to St. Louis. Spanos has kind of burned bridges in San Diego, and if he moves the team to LA he's going to be Kroenke's b!#ch.

I'm not really a "St. Louis Sympathizer" (I dislike--strongly--the Blues, and I do NOT like the Cardinals), but damn...you hate to see a city lose a team when it looks like they tried hard to keep them (of course, I haven't read ALL the reports on what they did, but many have said they tried).

Hell, you just hate to see any city, and it's hardcore fans, lose their team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not really a "St. Louis Sympathizer" (I dislike--strongly--the Blues, and I do NOT like the Cardinals), but damn...you hate to see a city lose a team when it looks like they tried hard to keep them (of course, I haven't read ALL the reports on what they did, but many have said they tried).

I believe they were just about ready to put shovels in the ground and start building Mr. Kroenke a new stadium.

I agree with Commander Enigma in that the Chargers should not go to L.A. Send the Chargers to St. Louis, that San Diego owner has pissed off everyone in San Diego and he isn't going to get anywhere in L.A. so long as Kroenke is there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
holy crap. raides have almost 65 mil in cap space and not a lot of guys to re-sign. they could be force as soon as next season if they spend that wisely.

It's crazy. I know it's only a matter of time before I hate them again with them being a rival and all but I admit I really enjoyed their team this year.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Their only other team name was the St Louis Cardinals, which was weird considering the baseball team had the same name.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I hope MacKinnon wasn't rooting for the Warriors. Hopefully the Nuggets can build off this win. It was inevitable that the arena would be full of bandwagon Warrior fans. I don't mind fair weather fans: those being fans who root for one team but just how much interest they have in watching/following the team depends on how well they are playing. There's no reason anyone should be obligated to regard following sports as anything more than entertainment and winning teams are more entertaining to follow. But how many of those Warrior fans who filled the arena tonight were Warrior fans two years ago? Those are not fair weather fans... those are bandwagon fans. And I can't help but see that as an indicator of weak character. They probably check twitter to find out what brand of underwear is hip this week.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I hope Nurkic is okay. That's the only sour point to this win. We were finally completely healthy (except Chandler).

I really think we've made some good draft picks in recent years. Nurkic, Jokic, Lauvergne, Mudiay, and Harris are all promising. And Barton was an excellent acquisition.

That Chandler contract though...

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Altitude interviewed CJ Anderson late in the game too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope MacKinnon wasn't rooting for the Warriors. Hopefully the Nuggets can build off this win. It was inevitable that the arena would be full of bandwagon Warrior fans. I don't mind fair weather fans: those being fans who root for one team but just how much interest they have in watching/following the team depends on how well they are playing. There's no reason anyone should be obligated to regard following sports as anything more than entertainment and winning teams are more entertaining to follow. But how many of those Warrior fans who filled the arena tonight were Warrior fans two years ago? Those are not fair weather fans... those are bandwagon fans. And I can't help but see that as an indicator of weak character. They probably check twitter to find out what brand of underwear is hip this week.

Well you have to understand where these fans are coming from, though. Stephen Curry is the new face of the NBA, all around the country there are going to be a hell of a lot more Warriors fans than in the past due to him being such a great basketball player. It's just like whenever the Lakers go on the road you hear chants of "MVP" and "Kobe, Kobe" due to Kobe Bryant playing for them. I don't blame fans for cheering for the Warriors. I cheer for the Warriors and have since Stephen Curry got drafted since I followed his college career, but I first started cheering for the Lakers in the early 2000's, and will continue to do so until Kobe Bryant retires. I wouldn't consider myself a bandwagon Warriors fan, though.

MacKinnon likes the Lakers, or at least he used to. I bet he roots for the Nuggets for the most part.

The NBA is such a funny league. It truly is the one professional sports league where a superstar makes all the difference in the world. I'd bet when Kobe Bryant retires MacK won't be too fond of the Lakers, at least not the same way he likely is now.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Well you have to understand where these fans are coming from, though. Stephen Curry is the new face of the NBA, all around the country there are going to be a hell of a lot more Warriors fans than in the past due to him being such a great basketball player.

I understand it, it doesn't mean I have to respect it. It's no different than the bandwagon Seahawks fans being ripped earlier in the thread. You can appreciate the talent of a player without suddenly acting like you are a super fan of his team. I guess I'll back off a little bit in that if you want to quietly root for a team because you like a player, no big deal. But going into an opposing arena boasting and puffin' up your jersey like some of those people were in the game last night when Curry was knockin' down ridiculous threes to mount that last minute comeback... sorry that's just obnoxious. Curry is amazing no doubt, but you can appreciate him as a player without acting like jumping on his bandwagon is some great accomplishment you made. Hell I wouldn't do that for the teams I've been rooting for the past 20-30 years.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Nurkic on his injury
"I twist my ankle and will have an MRI [Thursday]. But I think it's nothing special. Just normal."

Glad it's not his knee. Hopefully the MRI turns out okay.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Talent was never really their problem. However I agree they've been trending in the right direction at least.
Same with KC if they can get an offense to match their D. With all the changes coming to Denver this offseason I could very easily see us taking a step back next year.

So we better win the damn Super Bowl this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad