OT: Other Sports aka All of us are better at our jobs than the #Broncos OL Thread XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So can people stop telling me that Siemian is miles better than Lynch now. Siemian was really bad tonight, as bad or worse than Lynch was last game. The difference between the two is less than people are willing to admit. The difference is Siemian had a little bit of a hot streak to begin the season, now we are seeing more so what he is capable of. He won't win you games, he'll manage them decently but he sure as hell can't win them when the team isn't performing at it's highest.

I'm willing to give both Lynch and Siemian slides a bit because the line play the past two games has been that of a high school team. But that being said the QBs should have their fair share of the blame as well, just unacceptable play from both guys over the past two games. Holding the ball too long, not making any throws except for dump offs, both looked like deer in headlights and that is a major issue.

Siemian had like 75 yards passing before the Chargers wen't into complete shell mode in the 4th quarter. Just ridiculous. Again not all on him but still completely unacceptable for a NFL QB.

All I can say is thank goodness we have a long week to try and figure out something for the offense. We reverted to a lesser version of last year, which isn't good. And can somebody please teach the offensive linemen to not be complete morons and actually do their job at a semi reasonable pace. I don't know what happened after game 4, we went from being semi passable to not being able to block a 3 man rush without taking a penalty or giving up a sack.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
So can people stop telling me that Siemian is miles better than Lynch now. Siemian was really bad tonight, as bad or worse than Lynch was last game. The difference between the two is less than people are willing to admit. The difference is Siemian had a little bit of a hot streak to begin the season, now we are seeing more so what he is capable of. He won't win you games, he'll manage them decently but he sure as hell can't win them when the team isn't performing at it's highest.

I'm willing to give both Lynch and Siemian slides a bit because the line play the past two games has been that of a high school team. But that being said the QBs should have their fair share of the blame as well, just unacceptable play from both guys over the past two games. Holding the ball too long, not making any throws except for dump offs, both looked like deer in headlights and that is a major issue.

Siemian had like 75 yards passing before the Chargers wen't into complete shell mode in the 4th quarter. Just ridiculous. Again not all on him but still completely unacceptable for a NFL QB.

All I can say is thank goodness we have a long week to try and figure out something for the offense. We reverted to a lesser version of last year, which isn't good. And can somebody please teach the offensive linemen to not be complete morons and actually do their job at a semi reasonable pace. I don't know what happened after game 4, we went from being semi passable to not being able to block a 3 man rush without taking a penalty or giving up a sack.

I agree that Semian isn't that great, but in his defense, it's kinda hard to do anything when you always have two to three defensive players in the backfield because your O Line is flaming garbage.

If a team can have that much pressure off a 4 man rush, and if you basically have to take a holding penalty every few plays, you have a serious problem with the line.

Also, I think Kubiak's offense is crap for the players that we have. He wants to run to set up the pass, but we don't have an offensive line to open any holes. Almost every time we run on 1st down, we end up in a third a long situation. Makes no sense to me what they're trying to do.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I think Siemian and Lynch are roughly the same (at this point in their careers, Lynch is gonna surpass him as soon as next year). Trevor still gets the nod for me now because he looks more poised, even with the terrible line play. Lynch was 1 read then run.

I had the same bad feeling going into this game that I did going into the Falcons game.

I thought, save for the 10 minute drive and the long run to start the 2nd half, the defense played well.

This loss IMO was totally on the offensive line and Rico's play calling. 7 holding penalties on the line cost us at least 12 points (1 TD, 1 FG and 1 safety) plus they couldn't get any push to get a run game going. As for play calling, when they got into a hurry up or threw in something different (like the toss to Booker) things were fine. The rest of the time it was super vanilla. Kubiak was very much missed.

If I'm Elway, I put in a call to Cleveland and see what they want for Joe Thomas first thing on Monday morning. If they want our #1...I do it.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Buddy of mine had us buy Rapids tickets for tonight about a month or two ago and no one bothered to look up the Broncos schedule. I guess it worked out though...Christ.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Umm did C.J. Anderson eat Ronnie Hillman this past week or something or is it the new uniforms???

He looks like William Perry out there...WTF???

Hard to gain some consistency when your goddamn O-Line kills all of your big plays.

But any night you're bested by Phillip ****ing Rivers is gonna be a bad night all around.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I agree that Semian isn't that great, but in his defense, it's kinda hard to do anything when you always have two to three defensive players in the backfield because your O Line is flaming garbage.

If a team can have that much pressure off a 4 man rush, and if you basically have to take a holding penalty every few plays, you have a serious problem with the line.

Also, I think Kubiak's offense is crap for the players that we have. He wants to run to set up the pass, but we don't have an offensive line to open any holes. Almost every time we run on 1st down, we end up in a third a long situation. Makes no sense to me what they're trying to do.

Agreed much of the QB issues the past two weeks falls squarely on the offensive line. Right now they couldn't block my 80 year old grandmother. But that being said there should be a fair amount of blame on the QBs as well, sometimes you just have to make a couple plays to start putting doubt in the defenses mind.

The worst part about the o-line right now is it doesn't matter if it's a 3-man rush or a all out blitz they are getting to the QB at will. We took 2 holding calls on a 3-man rush, that is completely inexcuseable. You have at minimum 5 guys to block 3 if not 6 or 7 guys if you have a TE and RB blocking, you should never get beat on a 3 man rush. That kind of defense is basically saying we'll give you the underneath throws and 5 yard runs all you want, just take them, we just don't want to get beat deep.

member 116861

Hard to gain some consistency when your goddamn O-Line kills all of your big plays.

But any night you're bested by Phillip ****ing Rivers is gonna be a bad night all around.

Please explain what you mean by this.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think seahawks have the worst oline in the league. which shouldn't be that surprising since they are spending less than 9M on them broncos are spending 3rd least in the league and they are still at almost 14.5M.

raiders are paying more than 13M for just their LG (though very good one at that).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Fins are worse, Vikings had to sign Long of the street just to have someone available and he'll probably start. OL have never been worse.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
i think seahawks have the worst oline in the league. which shouldn't be that surprising since they are spending less than 9M on them broncos are spending 3rd least in the league and they are still at almost 14.5M.

raiders are paying more than 13M for just their LG (though very good one at that).
Raiders have that luxury because Carr, Cooper and Mack are all still on their rookie deals. They will be back under cap restraints soon enough.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Vikings don't seem to be having any problems though.

Joe DeCamillis is rubbing me the wrong way after this loss.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...millis-sick-to-my-stomach-after-broncos-loss/

I understand you're upset about the loss, but pegging it on special teams and cheering obnoxiously when you're completely down in the game is just a complete rookie mistake to me as a leader. Speak for the team; not just your unit. I didn't see him dancing all around the sidelines when the offense scored, or when defense made stops. Guy has a lot to learn about stepping up into a more important role. And it just seems obvious to me he was zero prepared for the game. Also was thinking about it more last night - Rick Dennison has to be the biggest question mark of the staff. I know he's followed Gary around all his career, but I've never seen anything that's made me impressed with him. Just seems like he's riden the coattails of Gary/Mike Shannahan his whole career. Offense was completely non-existent until the 4th quarter when the Chargers started playing conservative/prevent. God bless us all if he somehow becomes a coaching candidate when Kubiak retires/leaves. I don't think Joe D had any input at all into the offense last night - it was likely Dennison's game the whole way.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Vikings don't seem to be having any problems though.

Joe DeCamillis is rubbing me the wrong way after this loss.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...millis-sick-to-my-stomach-after-broncos-loss/

I understand you're upset about the loss, but pegging it on special teams and cheering obnoxiously when you're completely down in the game is just a complete rookie mistake to me as a leader. Speak for the team; not just your unit. I didn't see him dancing all around the sidelines when the offense scored, or when defense made stops. Guy has a lot to learn about stepping up into a more important role. And it just seems obvious to me he was zero prepared for the game. Also was thinking about it more last night - Rick Dennison has to be the biggest question mark of the staff. I know he's followed Gary around all his career, but I've never seen anything that's made me impressed with him. Just seems like he's riden the coattails of Gary/Mike Shannahan his whole career. Offense was completely non-existent until the 4th quarter when the Chargers started playing conservative/prevent. God bless us all if he somehow becomes a coaching candidate when Kubiak retires/leaves.

Because their Qb knows how to read the blitz and because their coach is good enough to adapt to that.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
My offensive line grades last night
Okung: D+
Garcia: F
Paradis: C+ (would have been a B- if not for a crucial hold)
Schofield: C-
Stephenson: F

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My offensive line grades last night
Okung: D+
Garcia: F
Paradis: C+ (would have been a B- if not for a crucial hold)
Schofield: C-
Stephenson: F

Just curious what you're seeing from Stephenson that's so downright awful? My judgement on him last night - took way too many penalties. The stunts from Bosa should have been picked up by Schofield. That's the proper way to handle those. Stephenson had his hands full with Joey all night with zero help from TE's from what I saw. Schofield was awful at making the stunt adjustments, but in the run game he did have a few nice blocks. I think every single one of the lineman had a penalty last night, so I agree with low grades overall. I just don't see where Stephenson (and honestly Okung) were downright terrible. I would have given both of them C's last night. Thought Garcia was the worst OL on the field for us by a long mile.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Stephenson was getting beat straight up on speed rushes, he had multiple bad penalties, he wasn't getting to the second level on run plays, and he got driven back all night. He was almost as bad as Garcia. He didn't get obliterated like the half of Ty Sambrailo they'd been throwing out there but that's a low bar.

Okung looks slow and lazy, straight up. He should be the best player on this line and he simply isn't. Even on plays where he doesn't get beat he looks like he's doing the bare minimum out there.

Schofield got beat a few times but he held up okay. Probably the second best run blocker last night, behind Paradis.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Was upset with all the needless penalties, but watching Rivers after the game changed my opinion. He was so pumped up, surpassing franchise record in passing yards, winning a division game in God knows how long, and he's just a really nice guy.

Of course, if I was actually a Broncos fan, it would have been a different story. Go Titans, as embarrassing as that may sound.

Jayyyyysssss tonight!

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I saw a stat where siemian was 1 for 10 on attempts over 10 yards.

Chet - there's definitely something to what you said. While the OLine was horrible the QB does have to make some throws to threaten the DBs. You have to push them off the under coverage routes. Alternatively Lynch was tremendous on his intermediate routes against Tampa Bay. It's a good argument for Paxton to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad