OT: Other Sports 82

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
100%. The more embarrassing the better.

My dad was a season ticket holder through the 80’s & 90’s — would yell at reinsdorf calling him a cheap bastard & throwing $5 bills at him from behind home plate

Reinsdorf knows no shame or embarrassment, it’s been his MO for nearly half a century now. The only grace will be this sort of sad legacy he leaves as one of the worst owners in sports history. I do hope they get back to success, but another side of me since 2008 just doesn’t care reflecting his apathy just sort of hoping he sells or leaves this world before it happens

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
My dad was a season ticket holder through the 80’s & 90’s — would yell at reinsdorf calling him a cheap bastard & throwing $5 bills at him from behind home plate

Reinsdorf knows no shame or embarrassment, it’s been his MO for nearly half a century now. The only grace will be this sort of sad legacy he leaves as one of the worst owners in sports history. I do hope they get back to success, but another side of me since 2008 just doesn’t care reflecting his apathy just sort of hoping he sells or leaves this world before it happens
Reinsdorf is a problem but one of the worst owners in sports history not so much my dude.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Reinsdorf is a problem but one of the worst owners in sports history not so much my dude.

If he didn't luck into Michael Jordan, he would only have 1 championship in 43 years as a owner of TWO teams (and even that 2005 Sox team everything went right for them to win). He was one of the main reasons for the '94 strike. He was arguably the reason the dynasty Bulls broke up (and had Krause take most of the heat for that) was the one vote for a billion dollar owner (Cohen) not to buy the Mets because he's too cheap to go out and spend on FA, he was the only owner against the international signing rules I mean I can go on and on.

I'm not sure what your definition is for being one of the worst owners in sports history is (the poster didn't say THE worst) but he absolutely is.. and I don't even think it's even remotely debatable.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Ben Brown has rebounded really nicely from that disastrous debut.

Hopefully the pen doesn't blow it again tonight

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If he didn't luck into Michael Jordan, he would only have 1 championship in 43 years as a owner of TWO teams (and even that 2005 Sox team everything went right for them to win). He was one of the main reasons for the '94 strike. He was arguably the reason the dynasty Bulls broke up (and had Krause take most of the heat for that) was the one vote for a billion dollar owner (Cohen) not to buy the Mets because he's too cheap to go out and spend on FA, he was the only owner against the international signing rules I mean I can go on and on.

I'm not sure what your definition is for being one of the worst owners in sports history is (the poster didn't say THE worst) but he absolutely is.. and I don't even think it's even remotely debatable.
You must be young.
Arthur M Wirtz and P.K. Wrigley were much worse and I didn’t even leave Chicago.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Besides all the points you have made.

Talking only about running the Sox, he has deteriorated massively in recent years. They ran mostly competitive teams in the 90s and spent some money. He did spend a boatload of cash to sign Albert Belle in the winter of 96...though he got out of that deal after 2 years.

I would probably focus on the last 15 or so years. It's been largely a clownshow. See the link below for MLB team records since 2010. The Sox come in 27th of 30 teams with a record of 1015-1161. They are the only big market team anywhere near the bottom of that list. You have to go down the list to 17 and 18 where the Mets and A's reside to find big market teams (and calling Oakland a big market is a slipperly slope). It's truly embarrassing.

Then you can throw in the embarrassing ordeals like hiring his drunk friend TLR to run the rebuild team. The Manny Machado/Bryce Harper dog and pony show. His refusal to commit to any kind of big contract, thus being one of only 2 teams to not give out a 100 mil + deal. It's one thing after another.

15 years ago he is nowhere near the conversation of worst owners ever. But he's going 100 MPH in that direction and has been for the last 15ish years.

edit - And I didn't even touch the threat to move to Tampa Bay, and the likely incoming threat to move to Nashville or somewhere else. How many other owners threatened to move out of town on multiple occasion,s spread across 4 decades?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Besides all the points you have made.

Talking only about running the Sox, he has deteriorated massively in recent years. They ran mostly competitive teams in the 90s and spent some money. He did spend a boatload of cash to sign Albert Belle in the winter of 96...though he got out of that deal after 2 years.

I would probably focus on the last 15 or so years. It's been largely a clownshow. See the link below for MLB team records since 2010. The Sox come in 27th of 30 teams with a record of 1015-1161. They are the only big market team anywhere near the bottom of that list. You have to go down the list to 17 and 18 where the Mets and A's reside to find big market teams (and calling Oakland a big market is a slipperly slope). It's truly embarrassing.

Then you can throw in the embarrassing ordeals like hiring his drunk friend TLR to run the rebuild team. The Manny Machado/Bryce Harper dog and pony show. His refusal to commit to any kind of big contract, thus being one of only 2 teams to not give out a 100 mil + deal. It's one thing after another.

15 years ago he is nowhere near the conversation of worst owners ever. But he's going 100 MPH in that direction and has been for the last 15ish years.

edit - And I didn't even touch the threat to move to Tampa Bay, and the likely incoming threat to move to Nashville or somewhere else. How many other owners threatened to move out of town on multiple occasion,s spread across 4 decades?
Yep, it's the complete inability and desire to adapt to modern times.

He'd rather run out a loser so he can save a few bucks, as they don't pay rent if they stay under 2 million tickets sold, then properly invest in a winner. The word 'risk' is not in his vocabulary.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

He's not actively saying racist or homophobic shit. He's not a pedophile. He's not purposely poisoning the well like John Fisher. Because that's where the bar has been set.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Nice bounce back from the Cubs last night. That whole series could have easily turned into a disaster after the other night, so I'm glad they at least got one from it. Without a ton of drama at the end, too.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8224.jpeg

Three guys hurt running to first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad