OT: Other Sports 81

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Maybe a few of you went to Illinois, probably most of you didn’t. I’ve never understood getting wrapped up in the fate of a college team of a school one didn’t attend.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I mean, millions and millions of people go to colleges that have sports teams. Almost none of us have had any affiliation with professional teams.
I don't care for college sports very much but it's all tribalistic stupid. You pick one for a rooting interest. Sports are way more fun if you care.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Maybe a few of you went to Illinois, probably most of you didn’t. I’ve never understood getting wrapped up in the fate of a college team of a school one didn’t attend.

Because fandom? Most people are fans of pro teams because they’re the local teams (or their parents were fans of said teams before moving to a new market), and college teams provide that for huge swaths of the US, too.

College sports already had a multigenerational fandom by the time the major leagues started moving west and south of St. Louis and by the time that watching a game became possible outside of a given market. That passed down to the current generations. Especially if you’re from a college town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Because fandom? Most people are fans of pro teams because they’re the local teams, and college teams provide that for huge swaths of the US, too.

College sports already had a multigenerational fandom by the time the major leagues started moving west and south of St. Louis and by the time that watching a game became possible outside of a given market. That passed down to the current generations.
I don't care for college sports very much but it's all tribalistic stupid. You pick one for a rooting interest. Sports are way more fun if you care.
It’s a free country and people can do what they want, I just think it’s weird to have attended one college yet be passionate about the athletic department of another college with which one has no affiliation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It’s a free country and people can do what they want, I just think it’s weird to have attended one college yet be passionate about the athletic department of another college with which one has no affiliation.

Rooting for anybody in a game when you never played with any of them is inherently weird.

Show an alien a dude in a Bulls jersey and a dude in an Illini jersey and the only difference they’d see would be the colors worn.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Rooting for anybody in a game when you never played with any of them is inherently weird.
I don’t disagree. There’s a good book i read a while back that gets into it called rammer jammer yellow hammer, by a Wall Street Journal reporter who traveled among Alabama diehards over the course of a football season.

That said, something about rooting for a college team with which one has no affiliation strikes me as several magnitudes weirder than rooting for a pro team.
Lotta folks don't even go to college.
Perhaps less weird for them, but still odd.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If fandom was purely logical, it wouldn’t exist. Or if it was logical and allowed to exist, it’d be just rooting for the closest team to you at any given moment or bandwagoning like crazy.

None of this makes sense. We all voluntarily spend time posting on a message board mostly about sports. There are plenty that would think we’re all utterly bonkers for that alone.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t disagree. There’s a good book i read a while back that gets into it called rammer jammer yellow hammer, by a Wall Street Journal reporter who traveled among Alabama diehards over the course of a football season.

That said, something about rooting for a college team with which one has no affiliation strikes me as several magnitudes weirder than rooting for a pro team.

Perhaps less weird for them, but still odd.
Sports fanaticism is weird and odd. You're interacting with me on a hockey message board sub forum dedicated to one of the worst teams in the league towards the end of an awful season.

None of this logical. That's what makes it fun. It's all bullshit.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Sports fanaticism is weird and odd. You're interacting with me on a hockey message board sub forum dedicated to one of the worst teams in the league towards the end of an awful season.

None of this logical. That's what makes it fun. It's all bullshit.
Sure it’s all weird. That said, there can be varying degrees of weirdness. For example, if someone was a huge fan of a high school team several hours away, and that person didn’t attend the school or have any affiliation with it, that would be weird, even within the acknowledged bubble of weirdness. Being a die-hard fan of a college one didn’t attend and that isn’t even local is basically the same thing.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even by my standard of discounting Big Ten teams in the tourney, that's a shitting the bed performance by Purdue. Love it.

Good job, FDU.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

The Minnesota Timberwolves have been around since 1989, and their second winningest coach of all time has under a hundred wins.

Holy hell, that’s a poverty franchise.

They've had 14 different head coaches in that time frame. Thats like a new coach every three years.

Does anybody even research anything any more?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
That's an insane amount of instability and lack of success for a prolonged period, which is the point I was making over that fact. But sure, default to being rude.
They were sort of one of the better teams in the east during the Garnett era.

Just like every other nba team they have peaks and valleys. You are just picking on them just to pick on them considering the nba team in this town ain't nothing better outside of the dynasty and when DRose has two working knees.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I went to Florida State for undergrad, UCF for grad school. My dad went to Notre Dame. My mom went to Indiana University.

I grew up with all sorts of shirts from Notre Dame and IU. I went to games as a kid with them at the colleges so I rooted for them. Still kind of root for them but obviously I support Florida State and UCF more, now.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
They were sort of one of the better teams in the east during the Garnett era.

Just like every other nba team they have peaks and valleys. You are just picking on them just to pick on them considering the nba team in this town ain't nothing better outside of the dynasty and when DRose has two working knees.
You are feisty this morning eh’

• Haha
Reactions: clydesdale line
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad