OT: Other Sports 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yup. It’s 100% an average team. Anyone out there that still thinks we’re just having bad luck/in a funk and it’s all gonna eventually get better…well im sry to say but you’re being delusional.

Every little detail along the way too seems to constantly go against us/doesn’t work out:

-We add Kimbrel and he ends up being awful.
-We let Rodon go, refuse to replace him, and now he’s the best starting pitcher in the NL.
-The Twins are already dramatically improved and capable of winning the division.

…nothing is working out. It’s one disappointment after another. Cease and Kopech both get exposed against the NYY. I wonder what’s next? Who’s turn is it to disappoint? Cuz that’s all I expect at this point.
Kopech gave up 1 hit and 3 runs in 6 innings against the hottest team in baseball. He absolutely looks like a stud pitcher so far this year. The starting staff for the sox has been fine this year even with lynn out. The bullpen has been shakey, but the reality is the sox offense is the huge problem right now. Abreu, pollock, and grandal have all been shockingly ineffective and the sox were 27th in MLB in runs scored heading into today's game. Its not going to matter how well they pitch if they can barely score 3 runs a game. They better figure something out quick or they are going to dig too deep a hole to get out of.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Said at the time trading an elite closer for Pollock was dumb- proven correct.

Said Kopech wasn’t going to replace Rodon- proven correct.

Keegan Thompson- 1.7 war
Kopech- 1.6 war before today’s embarrassment and will probably drop.

KBIB- always correct

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Kopech gave up 1 hit and 3 runs in 6 innings against the hottest team in baseball. He absolutely looks like a stud pitcher so far this year. The starting staff for the sox has been fine this year even with lynn out. The bullpen has been shakey, but the reality is the sox offense is the huge problem right now. Abreu, pollock, and grandal have all been shockingly ineffective and the sox were 27th in MLB in runs scored heading into today's game. Its not going to matter how well they pitch if they can barely score 3 runs a game. They better figure something out quick or they are going to dig too deep a hole to get out of.
Kinda forgot about the 4 walks including two that were nowhere near the plate walking in two runs and then a wild pitch that scored another?

The offense has been nowhere yeah but it's not like Kopech was lights out.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Kinda forgot about the 4 walks including two that were nowhere near the plate walking in two runs and then a wild pitch that scored another?

The offense has been nowhere yeah but it's not like Kopech was lights out.
Kopech has given up a combined 38 hits+walks in 41 innings thus far and has an era under 2...granted, i expected him to K more people, but he's pitched just fine. The sox have scored more than 3 runs in 2 of his starts, the first of the year and the huge choke against the guardians. The offensive performance this season has been horrendous and people are worried about a pitcher who hasnt given up more than 3 runs in a start? Come on...

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Kopech has given up a combined 38 hits+walks in 41 innings thus far and has an era under 2...granted, i expected him to K more people, but he's pitched just fine. The sox have scored more than 3 runs in 2 of his starts, the first of the year and the huge choke against the guardians. The offensive performance this season has been horrendous and people are worried about a pitcher who hasnt given up more than 3 runs in a start? Come on...

I’m worried about both, but more so the offense. And even more than any of that the defense. There’s so many flaws with this team it’s unbelievable. That doesn’t even cover the manager.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Yep and still 130 left to go. Time to stop watching.

Yeah but let’s be real over the next 130 games what are the actual chances they’ll become legitimate WS contenders? With all these flaws? An average team is just going to somehow improve to the point that they can overcome the Astros, Yankees, and everyone else in the AL and win a championship?

It’s extremely unlikely.

And that wasn’t supposed to be the case. We weren’t supposed to be this far behind/still struggling to break .500. That’s my point, that we’re far from where we need to be, and it’s a LONG SHOT to think we can win a championship with this team no matter how many regular season games we have left to play. Hence the disappointment. Instead of being one of the favorites we’re more along the lines of a fringe playoff/average club.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah but let’s be real over the next 130 games what are the actual chances they’ll become legitimate WS contenders? With all these flaws? An average team is just going to somehow improve to the point that they can overcome the Astros, Yankees, and everyone else in the AL and win a championship?

It’s extremely unlikely.

And that wasn’t supposed to be the case. We weren’t supposed to be this far behind/still struggling to break .500. That’s my point, that we’re far from where we need to be, and it’s a LONG SHOT to think we can win a championship with this team no matter how many regular season games we have left to play. Hence the disappointment. Instead of being one of the favorites we’re more along the lines of a fringe playoff/average club.
The super flawed 88-win Braves won the World Series.

It's harder now with the play-in, but if they get in and get hot you never know.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
So…we can all agree that the Sox have:

- A shaky bullpen. Elite stuff. Great talent. But the results are inconsistent and we blow too many leads.

- Arguably the worst defense in the MLB

- An approach problem at the plate. Not enough discipline and too many swings. Not enough walks/counts getting worked. Easy, quick outs. Hence an offense that cant score enough.

- A rather clueless manager.

- A cheap front office

- This final one isn’t as glaring, but the back end of the rotation is easily exposed and we’re still one legit starter short IMO. But at least this one is being extra critical, all the other points however are valid and tough to dispute.

…so how in gods name does a team overcome all of this over the course of one season? To the point that they can win a World Series?

EXTREMELY unlikely. Just too many problems to fix.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So…we can all agree that the Sox have:

- A shaky bullpen. Elite stuff. Great talent. But the results are inconsistent and we blow too many leads.

- Arguably the worst defense in the MLB

- An approach problem at the plate. Not enough discipline and too many swings. Not enough walks/counts getting worked. Easy, quick outs. Hence an offense that cant score enough.

- A rather clueless manager.

- A cheap front office

- This final one isn’t as glaring, but the back end of the rotation is easily exposed and we’re still one legit starter short IMO. But at least this one is being extra critical, all the other points however are valid and tough to dispute.

…so how in gods name does a team overcome all of this over the course of one season? To the point that they can win a World Series?

EXTREMELY unlikely. Just too many problems to fix.
The Sox are not cheap They're dumb. They'd rather light $22M on fire with Harrison, Garcia, Kelly and Cueto than spend that same $22M on Carlos Rodon.

I can count all of the times over the years they pissed away money on the margins rather than spending all of it for one impact player.

I take back the cheap comments I've made over the years. Rather, I'm frustrated that they'd light money on fire for the Adam Eaton comeback tour, Adam LaRoche, Jeff Keppinger et al. just because it worked once in 2005. Carlos Lee had many good years for the Brewers.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

1652678680252.png

The Sox are bad, m'kay.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The Sox are not cheap They're dumb. They'd rather light $22M on fire with Harrison, Garcia, Kelly and Cueto than spend that same $22M on Carlos Rodon.

I can count all of the times over the years they pissed away money on the margins rather than spending all of it for one impact player.

I take back the cheap comments I've made over the years. Rather, I'm frustrated that they'd light money on fire for the Adam Eaton comeback tour, Adam LaRoche, Jeff Keppinger et al. just because it worked once in 2005. Carlos Lee had many good years for the Brewers.

Cheap AND dumb. Both. Not willing to spend the big bucks on the big names and the moves that they do make rarely ever pan out cuz they’re usually bargains or long shots that we’re content to settle for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad