OT: Other Sports 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if some of the players aren't as good as we think they are.
I don't think they're necessarily bad, but I don't think they're above average either.

Starting to? You’ve been critical all year. What are you talking about? You sir, just enjoy being negative and critical.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's a difference between underachieving and not being good.

I can't deny what my eyes and brain are telling me.

Your eyes and brain tell you something different after every series, or every player's slump. Your opinion of this team changes by the hour. I've been trying to tell you for months to stop making snap judgements and having strong opinions of things based off small sample sizes. You just don't seem to want to listen. You'd rather scream from the mountain tops about how every team in the city is awful 24/7.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Your eyes and brain tell you something different after every series, or every player's slump. Your opinion of this team changes by the hour. I've been trying to tell you for months to stop making snap judgements and having strong opinions of things based off small sample sizes. You just don't seem to want to listen. You'd rather scream from the mountain tops about how every team in the city is awful 24/7.
It's not a small sample size anymore.

They're 27-28 in their last 55 games.

The question is are they underachieving or are they just not that good?

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie

The truth, as always, lies in the middle. It's like asking, are the WS good or where they a product of a very weak AL Central? I think the Sox are a good, not great team who is coasting to the playoffs.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My outside opinion would be they’re a good team taking advantage of being in the worst division in baseball. I’d bet on a very early exit, especially if they don’t get their shit together. They will be entering the playoffs on a much different intensity level regardless of who they matchup with.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I agree honestly. I don't know if they would make the playoffs in the other two divisions.
Their division record isn't even great, it's within a few percentage points of their overall record.

If they got to play, for instance, the Yankees 19 times, their luck would presumably even out and they'd be around .500 against them. Going 1-5 was a fluke, they were in every game but 1.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Their division record isn't even great, it's within a few percentage points of their overall record.

If they got to play, for instance, the Yankees 19 times, their luck would presumably even out and they'd be around .500 against them. Going 1-5 was a fluke, they were in every game but 1.

How is it luck that they lost 4 of 5 vs NY? You could argue it the other way and say the one game they did win was a miracle. You need to win the close games right? The Sox have lost tons of games due to poor fielding, baserunning, closers blowing things. Being in every game in the playoffs doesn't mean squat if they don't win. Now they have improved some in their series vs. teams with winning records, but not much. They're still 25-29 as it stands right now and still have played the second-easiest schedule in the league. I didn't realize they've played below .500 in almost their last 60 games. That's a red flag going into the playoffs.

And yeah I get it, they've been on cruise control. But good teams should be able to coast and not be below .500 for basically a third of the season.

But, we'll see what happens. Baseball is f*ed up like that. Watch someone like Atlanta get in and get hot and take out LA & SF in the NL. Happens all the time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
How is it luck that they lost 4 of 5 vs NY? You could argue it the other way and say the one game they did win was a miracle.
What? How is that what you took from that?

I'm saying things would probably even out over a larger sample. Odds are very low that they'd go 3-16 against the Yankees, because the Yankees...aren't that good.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

100% underachieving

And I agree, it’s definitely not a small sample size. It’s the entire 2nd half of the season.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
My outside opinion would be they’re a good team taking advantage of being in the worst division in baseball. I’d bet on a very early exit, especially if they don’t get their shit together. They will be entering the playoffs on a much different intensity level regardless of who they matchup with.

This

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
What? How is that what you took from that?

I'm saying things would probably even out over a larger sample. Odds are very low that they'd go 3-16 against the Yankees, because the Yankees...aren't that good.

You're the one that said it was luck and going 1-5 vs. them was a fluke. How? Did they lose each of the five on a bizarre bounce, random unexpected play? No. They've lost plenty of games this year through bad fielding, or baserunning, or other fundamental issues. They've gotten away with it since they've played the second easiest schedule in the league.

They're below .500 vs. winning teams. Another fun stat is their record in 1-run games: 15-24, so they have problems winning those tight games that are common in the playoffs. They're also the only division leader (and only potential playoff team other than Philly) with a losing record on the road, yet they're "coasting" and making little effort to secure any home field advantage, which may be critical in a series vs. Houston.

I truly believe the Sox are very good, but I have legit doubts as to how far they'll go in October. As I said above though, baseball usually takes the stats and throws them out the window in a short series.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Eloy has struggled and needs to turn things around as do most Sox

I worry about how they are faltering into playoffs and why this franchise always seems to struggle in September thru years

2020 = 22-14 in 1st place tie at start of Sept and go 13-11 to fall into 2nd place making playoffs as WC team

2012 = 72-60 in 1st place at start of September and go 13-17 which costs them division (Had 3 game lead on Sept 18th)

2010 = 73-60 in 2nd place 4 games behind ,, Proceed to lose to a bunch of bad teams and get swept by Twins.. Finish Sept 15-14 and 6 games behind Twins for Division / 7 games behind Yanks for WC

2008 = 77-60 in 1st place tie go 12-14 nearly blowing division despite being up 2.5 games on Sept 21st (Need game #163 to prevail)

2006 = 78-56 in 2nd place 5.5 GB but in WC spot , Go 12-16 falling into 3rd place and missing playoffs finishing 6 games back of 1st place Twins and 5 back of 2nd place/WC winning Indians

2003 = 73-65 in 1st place at start of Sept going 13-11 and losing division (Were up 2 games on Sept 9th).. Lost 5 games to Twins that September

1996 = 74-64 in 2nd place but in control of WC spot but go 11-13 blowing wildcard spot (Finished 3 games behind O's for WC spot

The 4 bolded were soul crushing

2012 = Team was in first place most of the final 4 months of season only to blow it

2006 = Team looked f***ing set to defend title before dead arms set in for SP and BP fell apart

2003 = Took lead in August and kept it thru start of September only to fall apart after loss to Twins was 1st of 5 straight vs them. I hate the f***ing Twins!

1996 = Team was in WC spot and lost a bunch of games to bad teams they should have won in September as well as getting swept by Indians that sent team reeling

2005 Sox played well in September going 18-12 but hat Indians team go on run and shrink division lead to 1.5 only for Sox to pull away in final week to clinch division. That is only Sox team in playoff race that seemed to rise up and finish strong

Thankfully Sox built nice cushion this year and Indians fell off in 2nd half of season so blowing lead is not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad