Not open for further replies.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Are the sox TRYING to lose this one? Pretty bad game so far

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Well, you're not going to win too many games with 3 hits. Obviously they're banking on flipping the switch in a couple weeks. I think the Sox are pretty much a .500 team the last 3 months. Flipping the switch rarely works in baseball, but it can happen and they certainly have the talent and guns to do this.

I think today's game is bigger than it probably appears. I know the Sox have a comfortable lead. But you want to get this division clinched and you want to actually win a road series as well. Especially in the same state that the Sox will be coming to for games 1&2 of the divisional round.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I have a bad feeling sox are going to coast right into a first round exit. Probably lose the first 2 games to a team used to playing hard, wake up after that and win game 3 but then fall flat in game 4 and go out 3-1. For a team that is markedly better at home, the lack of urgency to try to get home field seems like a pretty dumb move.

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I have a bad feeling sox are going to coast right into a first round exit. Probably lose the first 2 games to a team used to playing hard, wake up after that and win game 3 but then fall flat in game 4 and go out 3-1. For a team that is markedly better at home, the lack of urgency to try to get home field seems like a pretty dumb move.

I think we all remember that 4 game series in Houston. They got swept, and were blown out in 3 of the 4 games. The one close game Rodon was dominant in and they still lost. They have a big challenge ahead of them.

Now that said, I can't even imagine the momentum and good vibes if they knocked Houston out in the first round. That could propel this team to a roll where nothing stops them. Hell they'd be heroes to much of the baseball world for knocking out the cheaters lol.

I don't want to get ahead of things. But Tony LaRussa is setting up to be a genius or goat here. And not the Tom Brady kind of goat. He definitely seems like he's more concerned with setting up for the playoffs, than winning a lot of games and getting hot, etc. We have to trust his experience and that he knows what he is doing. He did win a couple World Series with the Cardinals where they didn't look like world beaters going in to the playoffs. He has done this before.

If they do lose quick and fast as you suggested, there's going to be a lot of people wondering why they haven't gotten more out of this loaded squad. And I don't think injuries is a valid excuse. They've played worse since the team is mostly back healthy than they did early in the season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
At all star beeak Sox were 57w 37L = 60.638 win %

Since all-star break Sox are 27w 27L =50% win percentage

They ares still tge same +20 in Wins over Losses..

Basically treading water since alk-star break.

Not boding well for success in playoffs.

Anderson,Abreu and Jimenez need to get hot again...

Bullpen needs to be more consistent with shutdowns..

3 of Lynn,Giolito Rodon,and Cease need to be consistent and not giving up much.

It must All come together...OR it will be a quick exit and no party.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
I think we all remember that 4 game series in Houston. They got swept, and were blown out in 3 of the 4 games. The one close game Rodon was dominant in and they still lost. They have a big challenge ahead of them.

Now that said, I can't even imagine the momentum and good vibes if they knocked Houston out in the first round. That could propel this team to a roll where nothing stops them. Hell they'd be heroes to much of the baseball world for knocking out the cheaters lol.

I don't want to get ahead of things. But Tony LaRussa is setting up to be a genius or goat here. And not the Tom Brady kind of goat. He definitely seems like he's more concerned with setting up for the playoffs, than winning a lot of games and getting hot, etc. We have to trust his experience and that he knows what he is doing. He did win a couple World Series with the Cardinals where they didn't look like world beaters going in to the playoffs. He has done this before.

If they do lose quick and fast as you suggested, there's going to be a lot of people wondering why they haven't gotten more out of this loaded squad. And I don't think injuries is a valid excuse. They've played worse since the team is mostly back healthy than they did early in the season.

Houston is very good but not unbeatable. They have a couple issues in the rotation and the bullpen has struggled. They can hit very well though, and have played well vs. the other winning teams. That being said, they could still lose their division, although it's unlikely. If the matchup is Houston, the Sox can beat them, but like the next post showed, the Sox have been very .500 since the all-star break. The pitching continues to regress and their fielding is still embarrassingly bad. I don't know which Sox team will show up, the one that on paper looks very good, or the one that's been dogging it for weeks.

Some "experts" are already making a big deal of Houston's playoff experience, and for their core (Altuve, Correia, etc) that's true. But a lot of their guys are relatively new so who knows. Should be a great series if that's what it ends up being.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Another rest fest today for the undisputed kings of resting, the Chicago White Sox.

Who needs positive momentum/a solid win streak going into the playoffs when you can have world class rest…

The Astros aren’t gonna be prepared for our well rested roster come time for the ALDS.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Padres season appears to be going down in flames and you had Machado/Tatis incident for everyone to see to show that locker room is having issues as team falters

Most overrated team in a while

With Yanks faltering as well down stretch as of right now the #2 , #3 , #5 , #7 and #8 payrolls in baseball are sitting outside of playoff spots

Again showing that throwing tons of money at FA is no guarantee of playoffs or anything

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So Padres season appears to be going down in flames and you had Machado/Tatis incident for everyone to see to show that locker room is having issues as team falters

With Yanks faltering as well down stretch as of right now the #2 , #3 , #5 , #7 and #8 payrolls in baseball are sitting outside of playoff spots

Again showing that throwing tons of money at FA is no guarantee of playoffs or anything
Nobody is saying that. When you have a chance to put a team over the top you do it. Imagine the Sox with Harper in RF.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wright looks like shit

Rangers looking to pull back from 6 deficit

7-1 Sox lead suddenly in jeopardy with Jays having runners on 1st and 3rd no outs in 8th

-- Sox escape jam giving up just 1 --

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Wouldn't Marcus Semien be a nice grab for the Sox to fill 2B?

Oh and Sox win! Magic number is down to 4!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Doubt he leaves Toronto especially if they make playoffs

Jays ownership will be under pressure to keep him after year he has had

I wouldn't want him to be honest for two reasons

1) Age - Just turned 31
2) Inconsistency - He has outside of two seasons been pretty underwhelming player overall

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Doubt he leaves Toronto especially if they make playoffs

Jays ownership will be under pressure to keep him after year he has had

I wouldn't want him to be honest for two reasons

1) Age - Just turned 31
2) Inconsistency - He has outside of two seasons been pretty underwhelming player overall
His last 2 full seasons were monsters. His WAR is 6.7 right now. The dude is awesome.
Toronto is not the kind of place American players won't leave. But yeah, their ownership will spend more than ours will.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Gio gets his 1st win since since Aug 7th and only his 2nd win over last 2 months

Had 4 straight no decisions coming into today

Now 10-9 on season
Yeah, but he has been really good since the all-star break. Wins don't always tell the whole story.

If you ask me right now, I'd go Gio in game 1, Rodon (if healthy) in game 2, then Lynn and Cease for games 3 and 4 back in Chicago.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I agree

Like Rodon and Lynn his W/L record would be better if this bullpen was better especially in summer when it really was struggling

I would go

Gio
Lynn
Rodon
Cease

Lynn given his experience would be my nod at #2 over Rodon

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I agree

Like Rodon and Lynn his W/L record would be better if this bullpen was better especially in summer when it really was struggling

I would go

Gio
Lynn
Rodon
Cease

Lynn given his experience would be my nod at #2 over Rodon
Lynn has done bad in Houston the last few years. He has fared better in home games against the Astros. That was my primary reason for sliding him to game 3.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I wonder how much Sox playoff tickets will be

Per a season ticket holder:
  • Section 518 wild card and divisional series are about 50 each. LCS is 75 and World Series is 150.
  • Section 154 wild card and division are 65 each. ALCS 103 and World Series is 206.
Probably 20-30% higher for single game tix.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to get a 20 game package and guarantee postseason tickets. Don't know if I want to risk being locked into 20 games, about $700 for 2 tickets, for 1 guaranteed home game.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It’s been an interesting first couple weeks of the college football season. I’m finding myself more into that than the nfl so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad