OT: Other Sports 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
They can't pick up his option next year. Cut your losses.
Nah. He's one of the greatest closers of all time. Someone will pay for him. They probably will look at it as the Sox misued him for what he is (they have) and returning him to his native closer role will bring him back to his old self. And the team would only be risking a one year deal, which will be appealing.

As for the trade. Well, I was clear on the night of the trade that I didn't like it. They didn't need a closer, they needed several setup/middle reliever guys. Tepera was perfect and they needed a 2nd Tepera from somewhere. It was a bad idea, and given how TLR has ended up using Kimbrel, it makes the idea of trading for Kimbrel even worse.

That all said, if it clicks in the playoffs, then the trade may pay off still. It just doesn't look great right now.

And why the hell is he pinch hitting with Mendick in the 10th?

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
. It was a bad idea, and given how TLR has ended up using Kimbrel, it makes the idea of trading for Kimbrel even worse.?

How else is he supposed to use him? Sox already have an AS closer and needed an 8th inning guy but our GM decided to trade for another closer

It was stupid trade to begin with and like Shields/Samardzija deal it will likely be one that Sox regret for years to come

As for Kimbrel this shouldn't surprise anyone as he was horrific pitcher last two years among the worst in baseball

A few good weeks this year should not have made our GM willing to sacrifice future for him

Hahn should be on hot seat

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You win a WS with an elite bullpen these days and the Sox gave up nothing of significant for one of the best relief pitchers at the time. Just gotta hope for your sake Kimbrel turns it around when it matters most. Yeah he’s had a few down years but he’s had a really long stretch of being one of the best at his position, and showed that he can still be that guy this year.

Madrigal is about as meh as it gets and at this point I’m not even sure how much better he can get. You can easily and cheaply replace him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You win a WS with an elite bullpen these days and the Sox gave up nothing of significant for one of the best relief pitchers at the time. Just gotta hope for your sake Kimbrel turns it around when it matters most.

Sox gave up a 24 yr old 2B who is safe bet to be consistent .300 hitter and was just a few years ago the #4 pick in draft and was regarded as a top prospect last year when he broke in with Sox

Far from nothing of significance

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sox gave up a 24 yr old 2B who is safe bet to be consistent .300 hitter and was just a few years ago the #4 pick in draft and was regarded as a top prospect last year when he broke in with Sox

Far from nothing of significance

He has no power. Isn’t an elite base runner and isn’t going to swipe 30-40 bases. He’s not great defensively.

He’s basically Juan Pierre without the speed.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm a big Nick Madrigal fan, but I'm not interested in the same discussion we've had 20 times since the trade. We all know each other's positions.

The disappointment for me has been Cesar Hernandez. He looked good initially in the first week or two, and I remember posting about my pleasant surprise. But he's been really flat since then. He came here advertised as the second basemen with power - but he's got a whopping 4 extra base hits in 139 AB's, all the while having an OBP < .300 with the Sox.

Yikes...that is DFA territory, if not for the fact that the Sox have nothing better to plug in there.

If you aren't going to hit with some power, then at least hit .300+ like Nick did and give the guys ahead of you a chance to knock in some runs.

Hopefully this is one of those posts that doesn't age well. How about 2 HR's by Cesar today lol :)

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The disappointment for me has been Cesar Hernandez. He looked good initially in the first week or two, and I remember posting about my pleasant surprise. But he's been really flat since then. He came here advertised as the second basemen with power - but he's got a whopping 4 extra base hits in 139 AB's, all the while having an OBP < .300 with the Sox.

Yikes...that is DFA territory, if not for the fact that the Sox have nothing better to plug in there.

If you aren't going to hit with some power, then at least hit .300+ like Nick did and give the guys ahead of you a chance to knock in some runs.

Hopefully this is one of those posts that doesn't age well. How about 2 HR's by Cesar today lol :)

Hernandez has been a huge disappointment, no doubt. I hope they go for Escobar for 2B in 2022.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nah. He's one of the greatest closers of all time. Someone will pay for him. They probably will look at it as the Sox misued him for what he is (they have) and returning him to his native closer role will bring him back to his old self. And the team would only be risking a one year deal, which will be appealing.

Are they going to be able to move Kimbrel without eating money?
IMO that money should be spent elsewhere. I don't see anyone trading the Sox anything worth the risk of picking up his option after he shit himself on a contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad