OT: Other Sports 73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are more shots missed in a game today (48 on average this year) than in the 90s (43.8 in 97-98). :naughty:
NBA League Averages - Per Game | Basketball-Reference.com

I'm not a NBA sucks now person, and either extreme (all offense with games with 3s just being hosted all the time with scores in the 130s or total rock fights with scores in the 70s) aren't that appealing to me. But I do think I prefer the NBA style of play when it was a bit harder to score (within reason) personally. I just find that possessions mattered more which made it more exciting as opposed to today's game.

Very few guys play any semblance of defense, in the NBA today. It's a joke.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If this becomes an issue...

Imagine completely overhauling your front office but potentially balking at letting them hire a new coach.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
yes, started watching the nba in earnest after the bulls first title

You should go back and watch the NBA playoffs from back then. I think your memory is fuzzy. Less shots were taken, because it was harder to generate offense, and more guys played hard defense. The intensity is night and day. Guys weren't missing shots. Shots were just much harder to come by.

The difference in physicality can't even be quantified.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You should go back and watch the NBA playoffs from back then. I think your memory is fuzzy. Less shots were taken, because it was harder to generate offense, and more guys played hard defense. The intensity is night and day. Guys weren't missing shots. Shots were just much harder to come by.

The difference in physicality can't even be quantified.

the physicality was more but there was more physicality in the NHL in 90s too, doesn’t mean the defense was better just that the rules weren’t enforced

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’ve felt for years the nba should bring back the hand-check.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Watching Korean Baseball. Tyler Saladino is hitting clean up for the Samsung Lions. They’re paying him 800k with another 100k in bonuses.

Good for you Tyler.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
If this becomes an issue...

Imagine completely overhauling your front office but potentially balking at letting them hire a new coach.

If AK or ME are not allowed to fire Boylen and the Bulls ownership/Paxson, the Bulls GM and VP should immediately turned in their resignation and run as fast as possible away from this organization. How embarrassing would that be to the Bulls org if their newly minted VP and GM but quit not even two months into their tenure.

AK and ME would not have taken the Bulls job if they knew they would not have the authority to make the changes needed. I still expect Boylen to be gone.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
New MLB draft format. There will only be 5 rounds drafted this upcoming year. Also in 2021 the draft will be 20 rounds.

While under the old way 40 rounds was probably to much, I really don't understand the point of going down to 5. My guess this is just the start of stuff that will decimate the minor league system. Has been reported on over the last year.
f*** rob manfried.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
New MLB draft format. There will only be 5 rounds drafted this upcoming year. Also in 2021 the draft will be 20 rounds.

While under the old way 40 rounds was probably to much, I really don't understand the point of going down to 5. My guess this is just the start of stuff that will decimate the minor league system. Has been reported on over the last year.
f*** rob manfried.
I'll give you a hint. It has to do with that green stuff in your wallet.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Watching the Last Dance makes me miss the NBA and makes me feel lucky as a sports fan to have memories of 4 of the Bulls championships and the Hawks run in the early part of last decade.

I've seen every one of my favorite teams win a title except the Bears, and two win at least 3 times. That's lucky. I feel fortunate.

However, if Ron Turner let Thomas Jones run the damn ball in SB XLI.........

Also, If Karnisovas and Eversley take any pushback from the Reinsdorfs and Paxon on firing Boylen, they should resign immediately. They'll find another job.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Watching the Last Dance makes me miss the NBA and makes me feel lucky as a sports fan to have memories of 4 of the Bulls championships and the Hawks run in the early part of last decade.

I've seen every one of my favorite teams win a title except the Bears, and two win at least 3 times. That's lucky. I feel fortunate.

However, if Ron Turner let Thomas Jones run the damn ball in SB XLI.........

Also, If Karnisovas and Eversley take any pushback from the Reinsdorfs and Paxon on firing Boylen, they should resign immediately. They'll find another job.

One thing I never understood about why the Chicago Bulls were so hastily dismantled by Jerry Krause is why did Jerry Reinsdorf unequivocally side with Krause’s vision of a rebuild? Why would an owner let Phil Jackson go, and Michael Jordan go when they could have just run that team another 2-3 years till the wheels fell off? Feels like corporate interests today would never allow a dynasty in progress to be dismantled like that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
One thing I never understood about why the Chicago Bulls were so hastily dismantled by Jerry Krause is why did Jerry Reinsdorf unequivocally side with Krause’s vision of a rebuild? Why would an owner let Phil Jackson go, and Michael Jordan go when they could have just run that team another 2-3 years till the wheels fell off? Feels like corporate interests today would never allow a dynasty in progress to be dismantled like that.
It actually makes a lot of sense from a team building standpoint. If they would have been satisfied with 5 championships, they could have traded Pippen and Rodman, along with other players and received a haul in return. Going into the 1997-98 season, Jordan was 34. Pippen was 31. Rodman was 36. Other key contributors were Ron Harper, who was 34 and Toni Kukoc who was 29. That was nowhere near a young team, and those were their best players.

Rodman only lasted 2 more years, MJ had had it with the public spotlight. If you looked at it with today's team building lens, going into that season, knowing everyone was going to leave, Krause would have been praised as a shrewd GM for getting value on aging players.

It's not like another team in town trading Chris Sale in his prime.

Edit: I'm not complaining about the Sox trading Sale, it was absolutely the right move for that team at that time.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Reinsdorf wanted to save some dough and bought what Jerry was selling about easily being able to replicate past success with new players. Whoops.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It actually makes a lot of sense from a team building standpoint. If they would have been satisfied with 5 championships, they could have traded Pippen and Rodman, along with other players and received a haul in return. Going into the 1997-98 season, Jordan was 34. Pippen was 31. Rodman was 36. Other key contributors were Ron Harper, who was 34 and Toni Kukoc who was 29. That was nowhere near a young team, and those were their best players.

Rodman only lasted 2 more years, MJ had had it with the public spotlight. If you looked at it with today's team building lens, going into that season, knowing everyone was going to leave, Krause would have been praised as a shrewd GM for getting value on aging players.

Agreed from a general manager nerd point of view. But from a once in a generation, golden goose lens it seems crazy they thought they could do it. Though I guess in the NBA we’ve seen multi generational dynasties more frequently so maybe they thought it could be achieved. As opposed to falling back into the pack never to re-emerge almost a quarter century later.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

Fair points, but it doesn't square with Krause being so adamant about wanting Phil gone. Obviously we can't know it for sure but Michael said he would not play for someone other than Phil, so if you keep Phil you could keep Michael.

Move on from Pippen and Rodman if need be, but keep the greatest player of all time and continue to build around him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Fair points, but it doesn't square with Krause being so adamant about wanting Phil gone. Obviously we can't know it for sure but Michael said he would not play for someone other than Phil, so if you keep Phil you could keep Michael.

Move on from Pippen and Rodman if need be, but keep the greatest player of all time and continue to build around him.
Again, I think MJ had it. Think about all of the mental gymnastics he had to do to keep himself at the top of his game. You can only do that for so long before it wears on you emotionally. Also, I don't think he was interested in sticking around for a rebuild. Losing isn't in MJ's DNA. He had his money, he wanted to be away from the public spotlight for a while. He obviously came back with the Wizards, but that was because he had a large ownership stake in the team at that time(like 25-40% IIRC...he was a minority owner but he had the largest stake of the minority owners)

The Phil Jackson stuff...idk why that happened, other than Krause's ego.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

It is covered fairly well in the doc. As soon as anyone started receiving so much credit for the dynasty like Phil, Krause got jealous. They were not going to be able to pay everyone on that team, Scottie wanted his payday. Reinsdorf mentioned he felt most of the team aside from Michael were past their prime, which is probably true. With Scottie and Dennis gone, I don't think they repeat so you get stuck in this middle ground most likely losing in the playoffs every year. They just didn't handle it very well and it damaged the Bulls rep with future free agents.

I would have preferred they did whatever possible to keep them together for one more year. If you rebuild you at least keep Michael until he says he's done. It's tough because Krause did build that team and for some reason, Reinsdorf thought he could pull it off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad