OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Now that Lynn Swann has "resigned", I have a great idea for the next athletic director at USC.

None other than former Trojan and Raider great Todd Marinovich. C'mon Trojan fans you know he checks all the boxes:

- Former USC player
- Former 1st round NFL draft pick
- Former NFL player in Los Angeles
- Father and mother both went to USC
- Uncle (Craig Fertig) is a former USC QB and Pac-10 coach

This hire is just too obvious.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Who dat? It's Aaron Donald wrecking Drew Brees' thumb.

Seriously, I hope Brees is okay. I am a fan of the way he plays the game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Donald is virtually unstoppable.

Brees going out is a killer. Saints are toast without him.

Refs blew the call on the Goff fumble which should of lead to a Saints defensive TD.

Yeah, they missed that one. Still wouldn't have matterered. Saints did nothing in the 2nd half. The Rams TD that was called back because of a push that happens on every play was so weak, I have a hard time believing it was called.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Donald is virtually unstoppable.

Brees going out is a killer. Saints are toast without him.

Refs blew the call on the Goff fumble which should of lead to a Saints defensive TD.
They both lost touchdowns due to bad calls. Why do the Saints think they're the only team that deals with it?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Who dat? It's Aaron Donald wrecking Drew Brees' thumb.

Seriously, I hope Brees is okay. I am a fan of the way he plays the game.

Same, huge fan. Dude has guts and grace.

They both lost touchdowns due to bad calls. Why do the Saints think they're the only team that deals with it?

Extra sensitivity to recent history. It's like Rangers fans looking for every call after the Dwight King thing even though Quick had his helmet knocked off at least three more times.

Reactions: 21Dog

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Not going to debate it as I said my peace and I fully gave the Rams credit for their wins last season in the championship game and this year.

Refs also knocked 15 seconds off the clock near HT in their week 1 MNF versus the Texans for no apparent reason. No explanation given.

It wasn’t going to matter on Sunday once Brees went down but, that was a obvious mistake and that could of given the Saints a 10-3 pending the XP at the later stages of the 2nd Q.

I didn’t hear a peep from former NFL officials or broadcasters about the call Ram fan is referring to that negated their TD. Maybe I missed something on twitter today if there was a reference to it but I didn’t see anything.

Bottom line is the officiating continues to be poor. Too many mistakes at key times. The Denver/Chicago game had a few brutal calls late which one could argue cost the Broncos a win.

Again, full credit to the Rams. They dared the Saints to throw the ball which worked well for them. Saints defense was good for half the game then the wheels fell off mostly due to the offense not being able to establish any sustained drives.

Just hoping the Saints can keep a 500 pace until Brees gets back.

I’m a big Cooper Kupp fan. Love how he runs the route tree and catches everything thrown his way. His TD was pretty nice.

NFC West is going to be fun to watch this year. Looking forward to the divisional tilts.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sadly, Brees is going to miss at least six weeks. Pittsburgh has bigger problems as Roethlisberger is out for the season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pretty big win for USC over Utah. This is what happens with the Pac-12 every season. No one is great, several teams are good, and no one escapes without losing at least one game in conference play. The Pac-12 likely will not even come close to having a team make the college football playoff.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Pretty big win for USC over Utah. This is what happens with the Pac-12 every season. No one is great, several teams are good, and no one escapes without losing at least one game in conference play. The Pac-12 likely will not even come close to having a team make the college football playoff.

Pac12 just doesn't have many good teams or even very good teams. This was probably the best hope for a playoff team and they just lost to a team with a lameduck coach and a 3rd string qb.

The Pac12 will never be relevant until USC returns to being USC.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pac12 just doesn't have many good teams or even very good teams. This was probably the best hope for a playoff team and they just lost to a team with a lameduck coach and a 3rd string qb.

The Pac12 will never be relevant until USC returns to being USC.
The last time USC was USC Pete Carroll was the head coach and the program was riddled with scandal. USC has lost or is losing its mystique. The John McKay / John Robinson days are long gone.

USC has had a major academic scandal, while both USC and UCLA have had medical professionals providing services on their campuses accused of sexual assault. The area around USC is not a desirable place to live, or taking in events which provide entertainment. The population of American citizens in California is on the decline. Unless things change, I don't see a bright future for Southern California. There will always be the mega-rich who want to live in a house in Malibu, but the average Californian is getting the shaft from their state and local governments.

I think the Pac-12 needs to look to Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and possibly ASU and Utah in college football. ASU has assembled a staff which has been very successful in poaching kids from California, especially Long Beach Poly. Kids are liking that Herm Edwards runs his program with shades of an NFL organization.

The Pac-12 commissioner, with his offices in San Francisco, seems out of touch with the schools in states outside of California. ASU's athletic director has expressed displeasure regarding the amount of revenue the Pac-12 Network is generating. A lot of ADs outside the state of California want to know why the commissioner's office hasn't been moved to Salt Lake which is a more central location for all schools and much cheaper.

Utah at USC was the premier game in the conference this week, and it was televised on Fox Sports 1 on a Friday night, why? No one east of the Mountain Time Zone probably watched the game. That game should have been on today sometime between Noon and 4pm Pacific Time, and televised on Fox after the Michigan/Wisonsin game. I don't think the Pac-12 has a single game being televised nationwide today. Washington is on ABC against BYU, but I am pretty sure that is a regional broadcast. The Pac-12 should be owing the 8pm east coast time slot on Saturdays.

A lot of scuttlebutt in Arizona recently about ASU and Arizona leaving the Pac-12 to join the Big 12. Not sure it would be a good move, but just the fact it is being considered tells you how far the Pac-12 has fallen. In football ASU would be trading games against USC and UCLA annually for games against Oklahoma and Texas. A lot of people in Tempe don't see that as a bad trade. They think ASU could complete in the Big 12, and would get much more national exposure.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really do agree with both of you.

USC needs to be USC. Yeah they've got a lot of digging to do. But they're not short on resources.

I also agree the Pac-12 needs to decentralize a bit and stop over-romanticizing that program as well as remember everything around California not only exists but are growing.

Reactions: KINGS17

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Oh man I was originally so pissed my buddy scheduled his wedding the weekend UM was playing Wisconsin. Turned out to be a blessing. Happy to be in Hermosa Beach today rather than Madison!

K17, Harbaugh hire an alltime flop. A Disaster for sure

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh man I was originally so pissed my buddy scheduled his wedding the weekend UM was playing Wisconsin. Turned out to be a blessing. Happy to be in Hermosa Beach today rather than Madison!

K17, Harbaugh hire an alltime flop. A Disaster for sure
I dunno Herby. Harbaugh got it done at the University of San Diego, Stanford and with the San Francisco 49'ers. He has had three 10-win seasons at Michigan. I think Michigan may need to adjust their recruiting approach. They just don't seem to have the explosive athletes that Ohio State has in their program. I like Harbaugh. You can tell the guy works hard and cares about his players.

Wisconsin has a very good team this season, and playing at Camp Randall is tough. This may be the year they can challenge Ohio State.

Looks like Texas finally got the Austin Gundy-monkey off their back today. We're probably looking at Georgia vs Alabama again in the SEC championship game, but Alabama has to run the LSU and Auburn gauntlet first. I feel like one of these days I have to get myself to Auburn to see Alabama play there, just to have an SEC experience.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
This Rams game feels like a loss coming up. no consistency at all tonight.

Goff have been just okay this year. And this team is not going nowhere with Gurley looking like he's hurt or something he's just not himself. Seriously don't know what happened to that guy. He just stopped being Gurley. There has to be an injury that's not being disclosed. But good win tonight Browns defense actually played well.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The NFL has kind of figured out the Rams offense.

Goff really isn't that good. He's terrible under pressure and subpar on the road. Him and Gurley's contracts were mistakes.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The NFL has kind of figured out the Rams offense.

Goff really isn't that good. He's terrible under pressure and subpar on the road. Him and Gurley's contracts were mistakes.

The two NFL star players who look the most cooked so far this season are Gurley and Cam Newton.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Goff have been just okay this year. And this team is not going nowhere with Gurley looking like he's hurt or something he's just not himself. Seriously don't know what happened to that guy. He just stopped being Gurley. There has to be an injury that's not being disclosed. But good win tonight Browns defense actually played well.

Arthritis in the knee is pretty bad. Dude is gonna be cooked as he ages.

Reactions: ru4reals

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Newton has never been able to throw the ball. It's amazing how many QB's get to the pros with no arm.

Scam Newton and the Carolina Kittens lead by Riverboat Ron.

That NFC South isn't looking too hot. I thought is was going to be better. I still think the Saints can win the division even without Brees until potentially after their bye. Only one divisional matchup (versus Tampa) while he is on the shelf.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Arthritis in the knee is pretty bad. Dude is gonna be cooked as he ages.

Dayem that seriously sucks. When he's 100% he's seriously one of the best. He was unstoppable the past few years with McVay. Such a shame.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Five weeks into the college football seasons, and this shouldn't shock anyone, but the Pac-12 has no undefeated teams. Zero, nada, zilch.

The question now is which team can go through the rest of the season and only lose one more game, because it's almost guaranteed that each team will lose at least two games.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
#1 Clemson in a dog fight at North Carolina. 14-14 deep into the 3rd quarter.

EDIT: North Carolina scores a TD to get within 1 point, then goes for two and doesn't make it. Tough loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad