OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Thank you glad someone noticed that too. Aint's got the make up call and brees got hit threw an interception. Maybe someone should point the Facemask out on Social media but both teams got hosed in my opinion Rams D stepped up. Plain and simple.

But that wasn't a facemask, he didn't actually grab Goff's facemask, which then is a penalty.

Aint's PI call in OT was illegal contract, you could see it on the replay, the TE was being obstructed so that is why it was called as a spot foul.

You guys got the win. It's done nothing gonna change that. Played well and Goff made the plays when he had to, credit to him and McVay who is a real solid young coach. Have to wonder if Gurley is still dinged up though, only getting 4 carries. The two weeks of rest time should help him.

Btw, How dare you call the Saints, the Aints', I'm insulted. :sarcasm:
:naughty::laugh:

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's going to be an interesting chess match between the old genius Belichick, and the young genius McVay in two weeks.

They can't study just the tendencies of the other team, but have to anticipate and consider the changes one another might make.

For the Rams, success in the Super Bowl may be about pressuring Brady and making him move outside the pocket. If they can do it by rushing just four or three, they will likely win the game. If they can't they are going to have to disguise blitzes really well, because Brady will audible out of a bad play if he sees it coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
This is interesting. In the NFL, pass interference is not a call which can be reviewed. In the CFL, a coach can challenge a pass interference call, or non-call.

NFL must awaken to reality of reviewable pass interference calls

Here is how it works in the CFL.

I can chime in on this as a CFL fan and have a team in my city (Hamilton Tiger-Cats - 9 team league and our last Grey Cup win was 1999! pathetic, end of short rant. :laugh:). The first year they put this rule in was a nightmare, teams were challenging PI calls that were not at all influential to the play, they would challenger PI that happened on the other side of the field. Haha.

Last year, the rule was refined to basically allow challenges the directly influenced the play. It seemed to work better and they also reduced the number of challenges, if I recall correctly, you can challenge one PI per half. They use a centralized command centre in Toronto to review all calls.

If it's something the NFL eventually looks at, I would not offer more challenges to a team but include the ability to challenge PI during the game outside the final 2 minutes in each half, make those calls an automatic review. There should also be a replay crew located at the stadium sort of like this past Soccer World Cup where each game had a VAR crew at the stadium.

Reactions: KINGS17

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I can chime in on this as a CFL fan and have a team in my city (Hamilton Tiger-Cats - 9 team league and our last Grey Cup win was 1999! pathetic, end of short rant. :laugh:). The first year they put this rule in was a nightmare, teams were challenging PI calls that were not at all influential to the play, they would challenger PI that happened on the other side of the field. Haha.

Last year, the rule was refined to basically allow challenges the directly influenced the play. It seemed to work better and they also reduced the number of challenges, if I recall correctly, you can challenge one PI per half. They use a centralized command centre in Toronto to review all calls.

If it's something the NFL eventually looks at, I would not offer more challenges to a team but include the ability to challenge PI during the game outside the final 2 minutes in each half, make those calls an automatic review. There should also be a replay crew located at the stadium sort of like this past Soccer World Cup where each game had a VAR crew at the stadium.

Yeah, stick to the CFL bruh. Root for an actual hometown team

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Problem is where is the line drawn on what can be reviewed? I mean it's not the only penalty that can change the outcome of the game. A missed hold, missed facemask, block to the back can all have an effect too.

Missed calls are a part of every sport. To be honest with football, a penalty could be called on virtually every play.

Sucks for the saints but it's not the first time, nor the last will penalties will be obvious and simply missed by human officials. I'm sure they feel like shit for missing the call, but in the end the saints won the coin toss in ot and blew it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Problem is where is the line drawn on what can be reviewed? I mean it's not the only penalty that can change the outcome of the game. A missed hold, missed facemask, block to the back can all have an effect too.

Missed calls are a part of every sport. To be honest with football, a penalty could be called on virtually every play.

Sucks for the saints but it's not the first time, nor the last will penalties will be obvious and simply missed by human officials. I'm sure they feel like **** for missing the call, but in the end the saints won the coin toss in ot and blew it.
True, but I think what the CFL has done, and maybe correctly, has been to identify pass interference as the biggest game changing penalty since it is a spot foul. It the pros it can move the ball 40 yards or more in the blink of an eye, so it's important to get the call right. Not sure I am for more reviews either, but coaches would have limited challenges.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
But that wasn't a facemask, he didn't actually grab Goff's facemask, which then is a penalty.

Aint's PI call in OT was illegal contract, you could see it on the replay, the TE was being obstructed so that is why it was called as a spot foul.

You guys got the win. It's done nothing gonna change that. Played well and Goff made the plays when he had to, credit to him and McVay who is a real solid young coach. Have to wonder if Gurley is still dinged up though, only getting 4 carries. The two weeks of rest time should help him.

Btw, How dare you call the Saints, the Aints', I'm insulted. :sarcasm:
:naughty::laugh:
DxepRhJVsAAjYlK.jpg

Which part didn't grab his mask, his pinky finger?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
^^ Now that's a good view of it. Does look like a finger is in there.

This one is a good one too (Aaron Brewer tweet), in OT on the Brees INT, pretty obvious Fowler has his hands in Brees grill. Lots of poor calls but the PI/helmet to helmet was a true game changer.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It sucks because PI can be the most influential call (or a money hold on a running play), but I remember hearing about this and it seems like it played out like offsides challenge in the NHL.

I'm sorry it happened to your team, but man, how many playoffs in a row have we had at least one single call for a team to hang onto for eternity? Dez caught it, fumble forward, etc.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
:nod::nod::nod: Thank you was just gonna do this. If that's not a face mask then the PI isn't a PI!!! LOL. But whatever, It is what it is and Payton's Arrogance came back to bite him in the....!!! Let's go Rams.

Yep. The refs messed up the entire game, it just so happen one play is the only one being talked about. Hell, there's a petition on change,org to try and replay the game.:laugh:

What i don't like is the talk about how the Rams don't deserve to be there at all and it was only that call that gave them the shot at the Super Bowl. The Rams outplayed them in the 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter. One stop in the 4th and that play is not a big deal. Goff beat Brees in the 2nd half, and made the better plays, even in OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
People filing lawsuits, buying billboards and creating petitions? Come on, this is getting excessive.

It was a terrible call, arguably the worst call in sports history, but it's a mistake made in a game. Some people just take sports way way to seriously.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
People filing lawsuits, buying billboards and creating petitions? Come on, this is getting excessive.

It was a terrible call, arguably the worst call in sports history, but it's a mistake made in a game. Some people just take sports way way to seriously.

Was it a mistake? It makes one wonder due to the circumstances.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Was it a mistake? It makes one wonder due to the circumstances.

Yeah, it was a mistake. I mean it's not like Lakers-Kings in 2002 where something clearly was going on and there were MULTIPLE calls like this. I think the ref just really really screwed up, the same way any of us could screw up at our jobs, we just don't have millions of people scrutinizing ours.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
...And that was my last season watching the NBA.

There were more eyes on the field than just the ref in the picture. They met for like two seconds and made their ruling.

You seem competent Herby. Why do I not see you screwing up your job that badly?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yep. The refs messed up the entire game, it just so happen one play is the only one being talked about. Hell, there's a petition on change,org to try and replay the game.:laugh:

What i don't like is the talk about how the Rams don't deserve to be there at all and it was only that call that gave them the shot at the Super Bowl. The Rams outplayed them in the 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter. One stop in the 4th and that play is not a big deal. Goff beat Brees in the 2nd half, and made the better plays, even in OT.

This is my only beef with it. I'd be pissed if I were a Saints fan too, but your goal as a team is to not be in that position anyway, and they had 3 full quarters and then some to pull ahead in such a way that that play wouldn't matter. Hell no one seems remotely critical of the two plays previous...that play is getting used as a free pass to excuse Brees and the Saints 2nd half play and to dismiss the Rams altogether.

Reactions: 21Dog and KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is my only beef with it. I'd be pissed if I were a Saints fan too, but your goal as a team is to not be in that position anyway, and they had 3 full quarters and then some to pull ahead in such a way that that play wouldn't matter. Hell no one seems remotely critical of the two plays previous...that play is getting used as a free pass to excuse Brees and the Saints 2nd half play and to dismiss the Rams altogether.
Especially when the face mask penalty the refs missed against Goff cost the Rams 4 points. It was a tight game. I wouldn't have thought much about the face mask penalty if the Rams lost. It's just football. The missed pass interference call sucks for the NFL though.

la-1548187316-x80zamu3lg-snap-image

Reactions: 21Dog

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I get it you are in the heat of the moment but this is just a dumb and borderline insulting to him.

And as someone who grew up in Orange County when the Rams were here in the past, plenty of their own fans referred to them as the Lambs.
My dad called them the "Goats." Dickhead. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad