Other Domestic Leagues 2023/24

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Man, the Belgian championship playoffs have been crazy again so far. After the madness we witnessed last season, we could see a repeat in a couple of weeks.

Union SG were absolutely dominant in the regular season, had only 2 losses in 30 games, and held a 7 pt advantage over 2nd place Anderlecht, the others (Antwerp at 18 pts behind, Brugge at 19 and Genk at 23) weren't even in the picture anymore....so it seemed

As usual regular season points were cut in half to start the championship playoffs, and after losing to Club Brugge tonight Union have now started the playoffs 0-4 while both Brugge and Genk are 3-0-1 (and both have defeated Anderlecht and Union already as well).

So, 4 games in (6 to go) the standings now look like this:

1. Anderlecht 38 pts
2. Club Brugge 36
3. Union SG 35
4. Genk 34
(Antwerp and Cercle Brugge are at 29 pts and basically out of it)

Right now I think Anderlecht is the safest bet to win it, not only because they are in first place (and they play Cercle Brugge back-to-back next week) but also because they have been the most consistent (as in, they're not spectacular by any means but they but they're the hardest team to beat and don't really have any lows or games where they are terrible - the other teams you never know what you're gonna get from game to game)

To be continued

Reactions: cgf

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
A few leagues to keep an eye on in these final weeks of the season:

Turkey
Both Galatasaray and Fenerbahce have been on a torrid pace since the start of the season, both are barely dropping points; Gala lead the league with an incredible 90 (out of a possible 99) points, they are 16-0 at home and are on a 15-game winning streak. Somehow Fenerbahce have kept it close, especially by being the best road team at 15-2. They trailed Gala by two points for a while now but just dropped points against Sivasspor (2-2) so now trail Gala by 4 points. There are 5 matchdays left and Gala host Fener on the penultimate MD.

Austria
As usual RB Salzburg finished on top in the regular season but they got a real challenge from Sturm Graz. Since the championship playoffs have started though, Salzburg has been a bit poor, losing a couple of games which has led to Sturm Graz taking a 3 point lead on them. There are 4 matchdays to go, and Sturm Graz will travel to Salzburg this weekend, with a win almost guaranteeing them to break Salzburg dominant run of 10 straight titles.

Greece
Since Olympiakos lost their reign of terror over the Greek league, things have gotten much more exciting again. The Big 4 (also including PAOK, AEK and Panathainikos) finished within 4 points of eachother in the regular season, with PAOK in first place. AEK have made the best start to the championship playoffs however, leading the pack with 75 pts, with Panathinaikos on 71, both PAOK (68) and Olympiakos (67) do have a game in hand. With only 3 matchdays left, AEK are in pole position to succesfully defend their title.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Im actually surprised so many leagues use a playoff system. In the Czech Republic we just switched to one a couple years ago and it still feels extremely unnatural

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think this might be my favorite football story of the season. FC Kiffen, a team playing on the fourth tier of Finnish football, has gotten popularity in Germany after cannabis was legalized in the country. Kiffen obviously translates to "smoking weed" in German.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Sweden voted to give up VAR. Stupid if you ask me, you can keep it at least for offside if you think it shouldn't interfere with judgement calls.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Good.

I hate VAR especially for offside. If the assistant ref can't see an offside, it isn't a clear and obvious error, which few centimetre offsides aren't.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Good.

I hate VAR especially for offside. If the assistant ref can't see an offside, it isn't a clear and obvious error, which few centimetre offsides aren't.
Nah man, that's why we have technology. An inch can make the difference between scoring a goal or not.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Nah, there weren't many instances of missed blatant offsides leading to goals. Compared to no goal line technology, missed handballs and fouls inside the box.

Offsides weren't much of on issue, especially after the policy to favour attackers in tight offside situations was introduced. It has been downhill ever since that policy was abandoned.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
VAR kills the raw emotions of the game. Can't even celebrate a goal completely many times because you're not sure it's going to stand. Clubs in Sweden are membership owned, glad we are taking the fight 💪

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
VAR kills the raw emotions of the game. Can't even celebrate a goal completely many times because you're not sure it's going to stand. Clubs in Sweden are membership owned, glad we are taking the fight 💪

Yes, VAR in its' current form has been especially bad for spectators inside the stadiums.

Maybe if they introduced 30 sec or 1 minute limit for ref's VAR decisions. If you can't spot a mistake during that time, it isn't clear and obvious.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I also agree with this idea. But don't just get rid of it like it's 1953
Not sure how this semi automatic offside works, but if it can be as quick and effective as goal line technology I'm all for it. Offside calls has to work at that speed in my opinion.

Also we have never used VAR in Sweden, so we're not getting rid of anything. At some point it will happen, but it has to work better than it does now, and hopefully Sweden will be patient enough. But trust me the snakes in the federation with our old prime minister in charge are doing everything they can to introduce it. Proper politician who doesn't care what the people wants.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
VAR should be
1/ only if the ref has a doubt and asks for it
2/ as a coach's challenge twice a game (1 per half). If wrong he loses a substitution.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Man, the Belgian championship playoffs have been crazy again so far. After the madness we witnessed last season, we could see a repeat in a couple of weeks.

Union SG were absolutely dominant in the regular season, had only 2 losses in 30 games, and held a 7 pt advantage over 2nd place Anderlecht, the others (Antwerp at 18 pts behind, Brugge at 19 and Genk at 23) weren't even in the picture anymore....so it seemed

As usual regular season points were cut in half to start the championship playoffs, and after losing to Club Brugge tonight Union have now started the playoffs 0-4 while both Brugge and Genk are 3-0-1 (and both have defeated Anderlecht and Union already as well).

So, 4 games in (6 to go) the standings now look like this:

1. Anderlecht 38 pts
2. Club Brugge 36
3. Union SG 35
4. Genk 34
(Antwerp and Cercle Brugge are at 29 pts and basically out of it)

Right now I think Anderlecht is the safest bet to win it, not only because they are in first place (and they play Cercle Brugge back-to-back next week) but also because they have been the most consistent (as in, they're not spectacular by any means but they but they're the hardest team to beat and don't really have any lows or games where they are terrible - the other teams you never know what you're gonna get from game to game)

To be continued

Update:
there were 2 MD's this week (Wednesday, and today) with teams playing back-to-back against the same opponent. Club Brugge keep steamrolling everyone who gets in their way, they beat Genk 4-0 at home on Wednesday and today went to Genk and won 3-0, effectively ending Genk's title hopes. Union SG beat Antwerp twice (they also still meet in the Cup Final in May) while Anderlecht had a win and a tie against Cercle Brugge.

Anderlecht and Club Brugge are now tied for first place with 42 points. Union SG are right behind on 41 pts.

MD7 will see Union SG host Anderlecht next week. Then Club Brugge host Union SG on MD8, and on MD9 Club Brugge travel to Anderlecht. Those three games should decide who wins the championship. Or, you know, just like last season it might come down to MD10 again. Stay tuned!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad