Other Domestic Leagues 2023/24

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Was caught off-guard this weekend to find the Czech league already starting, so I imagine we're not the only ones. Sparta and Slavia both kicked off their campaigns with 2-0 wins, while Plzeň stumbled out of the gate with a 0-1 loss. I believe Belgium also starts early like us?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Was caught off-guard this weekend to find the Czech league already starting, so I imagine we're not the only ones. Sparta and Slavia both kicked off their campaigns with 2-0 wins, while Plzeň stumbled out of the gate with a 0-1 loss. I believe Belgium also starts early like us?
Romanian league already played 2 matchdays in blistering heat.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Romanian league already played 2 matchdays in blistering heat.

That's crazy, especially with this year's heat wave and shortage of rain. The grass upkeep costs alone, to say nothing of the players (and fans)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
That's crazy, especially with this year's heat wave and shortage of rain. The grass upkeep costs alone, to say nothing of the players (and fans)
Plus they play half the games at 18:15/18:30. Sometimes they do two cooling breaks/period.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

We had the Supercup yesterday, league starts next weekend.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
From what I read the long story short is basically Atlas the last few years have gotten some shady calls go their favor so their social media overreacted as it looks like it happened again because people in Mexico think there's some pro-Atlas conspiracy :laugh:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgian league kicked off tonight with Union SG defeating Anderlecht at home 2-0. Anderlecht looked every bit as mediocre as they did last year while Union, despite losing like 7 starters, looked just as good.
Incredibly, it's Union's 7th straight win against Anderlecht, they have beaten them in every single game since returning to the first division three years ago.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Belgian league kicked off tonight with Union SG defeating Anderlecht at home 2-0. Anderlecht looked every bit as mediocre as they did last year while Union, despite losing like 7 starters, looked just as good.
Incredibly, it's Union's 7th straight win against Anderlecht, they have beaten them in every single game since returning to the first division three years ago.

I no longer have any connection there, but after seeing decades of Anderlecht being the top team (or at least equal with Brugge more recently) it just hurts to see them being overtaken like this.

Do they have what it takes to become the clear top team n Belgium again? I would certainly still think that a team from Brussels should be able to be the best team in the country.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I no longer have any connection there, but after seeing decades of Anderlecht being the top team (or at least equal with Brugge more recently) it just hurts to see them being overtaken like this.

Do they have what it takes to become the clear top team n Belgium again? I would certainly still think that a team from Brussels should be able to be the best team in the country.

Union SG are from Brussels and they came within two minutes of being the best team in the country last year :nod:

You can leave out the "recently" as well since Anderlecht have 1 championship in the past 9 years, while Brugge have won 5 of the last 7 league titles. Anderlecht last won something 6 years ago and even then it was with terrible football, the fans wanted the coach (Rene Weiler) gone ASAP even though he did get results.

No right now they don't have what it takes. Their owner is a clown, even though he has deep pockets. Their president is an idiot who was no clue how to lead a professional football club and the fans hate him deeply. Their sporting director comes from a small Danish club and looks like he's in way over his head, and their scouting department seems non-existent these days if you see what they come up with. They also fired their head of youth development, an immensely popular guy who was born and raised in Brussels and spent a large part of his own youth and playing career at Anderlecht, and has been overseeing their youth teams for over 20 years now and helped develop the likes of Lukaku, Tielemans, Kompany, etc.. because he was too expensive :laugh:

The only thing they have left is their name (that's why they are still able to sign a player like Kasper Dolberg for example) and their reputation as the best youth developing team in Belgium. But even when they have a good prospect on the way it seems they get signed away so quickly they can barely make a name for themselves in the first team (Jeremy Doku, Julien Duranville..)

Another problem they have is that every year they get overtaken by more teams at the top of the Belgian League. It used to be Anderlecht, Brugge and Standard Liege. But then came RC Genk and occasionally AA Gent. Now Antwerp has joined the top tier with their championship (and rich owner), followed by Union SG who look like they are here to stay (and backed by Brighton). The championship playoffs in Belgium this season will go back to 6 teams (it was 4 teams since the covid season) and it will be one hell of a fight for them to make that.

Right now it's really hard to see them being a contender for the forseeable future.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Union SG are from Brussels and they came within two minutes of being the best team in the country last year :nod:

You can leave out the "recently" as well since Anderlecht have 1 championship in the past 9 years, while Brugge have won 5 of the last 7 league titles. Anderlecht last won something 6 years ago and even then it was with terrible football, the fans wanted the coach (Rene Weiler) gone ASAP even though he did get results.

No right now they don't have what it takes. Their owner is a clown, even though he has deep pockets. Their president is an idiot who was no clue how to lead a professional football club and the fans hate him deeply. Their sporting director comes from a small Danish club and looks like he's in way over his head, and their scouting department seems non-existent these days if you see what they come up with. They also fired their head of youth development, an immensely popular guy who was born and raised in Brussels and spent a large part of his own youth and playing career at Anderlecht, and has been overseeing their youth teams for over 20 years now and helped develop the likes of Lukaku, Tielemans, Kompany, etc.. because he was too expensive :laugh:

The only thing they have left is their name (that's why they are still able to sign a player like Kasper Dolberg for example) and their reputation as the best youth developing team in Belgium. But even when they have a good prospect on the way it seems they get signed away so quickly they can barely make a name for themselves in the first team (Jeremy Doku, Julien Duranville..)

Another problem they have is that every year they get overtaken by more teams at the top of the Belgian League. It used to be Anderlecht, Brugge and Standard Liege. But then came RC Genk and occasionally AA Gent. Now Antwerp has joined the top tier with their championship (and rich owner), followed by Union SG who look like they are here to stay (and backed by Brighton). The championship playoffs in Belgium this season will go back to 6 teams (it was 4 teams since the covid season) and it will be one hell of a fight for them to make that.

Right now it's really hard to see them being a contender for the forseeable future.

Thanks, I was just so used for Anderlecht, Brugge and Standard Liege being the clear top three ever since I started following football. Never thought there would be another team challenging Anderlecht's position as the best club in Brussels in my lifetime, although of course there were other very successful Brussels based teams in the first half of 20th century.

I haven't yet even come to terms how a merger club like Genk from a small town has been able to establish themselves as a top team in Belgium. Antwerp I often thought sort of a sleeping "giant" who could snatch a title say once every two decades, like they have now done. Also in the 1980's / early 90's I thought KV Mechelen had arrived permanently to at least challenge for the top spots, but they have dropped out of the picture.

I sort of had this pattern set in my mind that during a typical decade Anderlecht win 5 titles, Brugge 3 and Standard 2, with some other club snatching one title from any of them in one year when all three were having a down year.

When I was living in Brussels never considered Anderlecht as an exceptional part of the city (actually liked the eastern city areas more), so in that perspective Union permanently overtaking them wouldn't be that outrageous, as they're not situated that far from Anderlecht. Of course that wouldn't happen overnight as far as the infrastructure (stadium etc.) goes.

It's just weird if the capital won't have a at least one permanent top team fighting for the title evey year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned him, I’m so excited to see how Duranville does this season. I think he could be the next great young player that we probably unfortunately sell for like 100M. I say that entirely based off his debut where my jaw was on the floor about how well he did. He was hyped up by our media as this incredible signing. He missed the first few months with injury and a lot of our fans were starting to get a little skeptical. I saw some highlights and didn’t think he looked like anything special. Then he stepped on the field and he looked like Ousmane Dembele did, except he was barely 17 years old stepping into the biggest game the team has played in years. Maybe he’s not that good, but I’m excited to find out if he is.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Back to back game winners for Rokas Pukstas and Hajduk. He even got a mention on Futbol Americas last week :laugh: Think USNT Twitter is starting to find out about him. Though I can’t wait to see the hot takes from the likes of Herc and Doyle probably calling the Cro league USL level

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some velez fans attacked their own players after yet another defeat. Numerous players have requested to leave. Apparently, Prestianni is among them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Back to back game winners for Rokas Pukstas and Hajduk. He even got a mention on Futbol Americas last week :laugh: Think USNT Twitter is starting to find out about him. Though I can’t wait to see the hot takes from the likes of Herc and Doyle probably calling the Cro league USL level
He’s started the season great. He plays the deepest position for the National Team, so it may be a little difficult to get into the team, but he’s definitely been making a good case and should get a chance before too long.

When do you think he’ll be sold to a bigger league? I was thinking it might be in the winter.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
He’s started the season great. He plays the deepest position for the National Team, so it may be a little difficult to get into the team, but he’s definitely been making a good case and should get a chance before too long.

When do you think he’ll be sold to a bigger league? I was thinking it might be in the winter.

Thinking more next summer, especially if there is a legit title race. Dinamo still massive favorites but they are likely going to sell their 3-4 national team players by August

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Terrible look. DId I see that a couple of the younger players are looking to move away now?
Yup, Prestianni doesnt even want to practice anymore he wants out now. I would imagine Castro and Gomez also want to leave. Hopefully Brighton is aware. Would be a great spot for either of them.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yup, Prestianni doesnt even want to practice anymore he wants out now. I would imagine Castro and Gomez also want to leave. Hopefully Brighton is aware. Would be a great spot for either of them.
Is Prestianni the highest potential out of the group?

After MacAllister I'm always open for an Argentinian youngster.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Copa lib football… Argentines junior use all 5 subs and immediately their keeper gets himself sent off lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad