Other domestic leagues 2020/21

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Was there other than garden-variety hooliganism from Atlas fans prior to them realizing their lives were literally at stake? I didn't see reports they were going at Queretaro fans with knives, ice picks, kicking and beating them repeatedly while already unconscious, or the worse stuff that I don't even want to mention, though I could have missed it.

I would say garden variety hooliganism doesn't include attacking families, so yes, there was.

They didn't have weapons, but their fans have had incidents like this before. It would be hard to look it up now that this one was so prominent, but there were others. The story about cartel involvement, where two cartel guys supposedly send people to the game to start an incident like this one, that also adds another element to this.

Reactions: Gecklund

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would say garden variety hooliganism doesn't include attacking families, so yes, there was.

They didn't have weapons, but their fans have had incidents like this before. It would be hard to look it up now that this one was so prominent, but there were others. The story about cartel involvement, where two cartel guys supposedly send people to the game to start an incident like this one, that also adds another element to this.
Thanks. And if it wasn't clear from my response, I wasn't being flippant, just haven't seen many sources that have talked about that (which is, of course, also abominable behavior and should be punished).

Reactions: Gecklund

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
AIK player Nabil Bahoui is making a fool of himself. He said this after the game against Malmö yesterday:

""I have never been beaten so much. I do not even want to be a forward anymore - because it is abuse, says the striker."

I saw the game, the abuse he got was nothing special, it was just normal physicality. No idea how he missed that playing as a striker means more physical contact. Imagine if this guy played ice hockey...

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

Yeah really sad story. He and his wife just had a baby too. His wife posted a message on IG which I found incredibly hard to read. Guy battled like crazy but just had no chance in the end.

Other Belgian(/Dutch) news from today, as the Dutch have abandonned the BeNe-Liga talks, so looks like all plans are off the table for the forseeable future.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I woke up at 3:45 AM to watch The Old Firm on Paramount+ as advertised only to find out that the game is not on Paramount+ but only live on CBS Sports Network which is not available by my provider. This was listed on the live broadcast schedule on Paramount+ before this morning. This feels like a bait and switch scan by CBS/Paramount.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
That broken glass on the pitch could have caused nasty injury, luckily it was spotted at half-time.

USA defender Carter-Vickers scored the winner, guy has massive thighs. Why hasn't he been called up to the NT in the last couple of years any more? He isn't the tallest for a CB, but plays quite regularly at decent level league.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That broken glass on the pitch could have caused nasty injury, luckily it was spotted at half-time.

USA defender Carter-Vickers scored the winner, guy has massive thighs. Why hasn't he been called up to the NT in the last couple of years any more? He isn't the tallest for a CB, but plays quite regularly at decent level league.

Our coach really likes MLS players. Our best three CB's shouldn't even be playing in MLS because they're too good for it, but basically the answer is that he already has three CB's locked into the roster and there's only one spot for other CB's. We also have a CB who plays for Genk (Mark McKenzie) and the coach usually picks him.

The shorter answer is that we have good depth now after years of barely being able to fill a team. There's a couple other players like Carter-Vickers who could/should have been in the squad by now.

Reactions: gary69

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
winner of SPFL should get an automatic spot in the CL group stage which would be amazing. would be the first time in 10+ years that celtic would be able to have a real summer offseason to recover and also plan knowing what the finances will be for the year. at this point celtic would have to drop points in 3 of their remaining 6 matches to not win the league.

Reactions: sabremike

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
winner of SPFL should get an automatic spot in the CL group stage which would be amazing. would be the first time in 10+ years that celtic would be able to have a real summer offseason to recover and also plan knowing what the finances will be for the year. at this point celtic would have to drop points in 3 of their remaining 6 matches to not win the league.
UEFA accountants disagree.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The Swiss league might introduce a North American style playoffs system to determine their champions starting in 2023, it still needs approval from the executive committee but it seems certain to pass

They will increase the league to 12 clubs; have the traditional home/away season, then after 22 rounds split into a championship and relegation group to play a further 10 games, after the completion of that part of the season there will be playoffs to determine the champions and Euro spots. For now the title will be decided between the top two clubs in a playoff while the Euro spots will be decided in an 8 team playoff

1649266559250.png

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
AA Gent won the Belgian Cup yesterday, beating Anderlecht in the final 4-3 on penalties after a pretty dull scoreless draw.
For Anderlecht it's been 5 years already since they won anything and the closest they have been since the arrival of Kompany, they also had one of the easiest roads to the final ever but couldn't finish the job. Even though it was a boring final Gent were definitely the better team and had the best chances to win.

Gent had a terrible start to the season but finished on an 8-0-1 run (and a Cup final win) however they fell just 1 point short of making the Championship Playoff.
Those Playoffs will start next week with Union SG still in the lead as they have been for most of the season, everybody expected them to come back to earth eventually but that hasn't happened and honestly, doesn't look like it will.

1. Union SG 39 pts
2. Club Brugge 36
3. Antwerp 32
4. Anderlecht 32

Brugge-Antwerp, and Union-Anderlecht are the opening games this weekend, if both Brugge and Union win it really looks like it will be a two horse race. Brugge took 4 out of 6 points of Union in the regular season.

The biggest surprise of the season is RC Genk. Almost beat out Club Brugge for the title last season, brought back their entire team and said they were going all in this year and eventually only finished 8th.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
We didn’t play very well on Sunday. Can’t really complain with the result, even if the refereeing was as shambolic as you’ll ever see.

A kick up the arse for sure going into the stretch.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Massive win by Hajduk today over Dinamo and for once there is a legit three-way title race in Croatia with five rounds to go

Dinamo 66
Rijeka 64
Hajduk 62

On paper Dinamo though have the 'easier' fixtures, plus they still play both Osijek and Hajduk at home, though their new manager hasn't been inspiring

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
UEFA confirm Russian clubs are banned from Europe next season, ironically this means the champions of Ukraine get an automatic entry to the CL group stage (unless Villarreal somehow win the competition this season). The only other real benefactor is the cup winners of Turkey and Denmark who are now guaranteed either the EL or Conference League based on their playoff results rather than going through two qualifying rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad