Other Domestic Leagues 2019/20

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure. Competition is so stiff right now, but I want him to play. His biggest chance might be at DM. Otherwise he'll likely be LB and CB's first backup option.
Is Malign still expected to be sold? It's good that he can grab minutes in all of those positions, Argentina can use cover in all spots. Still prefer him at CB though. Since, Taglifco is not letting go that LB spot both in Ajax/Argentina any time soon.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Is Malign still expected to be sold? It's good that he can grab minutes in all of those positions, Argentina can use cover in all spots. Still prefer him at CB though. Since, Taglifco is not letting go that LB spot both in Ajax/Argentina any time soon.

Veltman and Magallan could still definitely leave, but they might just be kept another year, but only because Ajax wants to be active at three fronts and they need the depth. I think the depth chart for the defense is, in order:

LB: Tagliafico, Martinez, Blind, Dest.
CB: Blind, Schuurs, Alvarez, Martinez, Veltman, Magallan, Pierie.
RB: Mazraoui, Veltman, Dest.

DM: Blind, Martinez, Eiting, Schöne, Gravenberch.

He'll get plenty of playing time, but not sure about being a starting fixture.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
i still think we are going to win the gold, we got the best squad and the best coach. but if we dont win, i hope Djurgården takes it, AIK is extremely boring to watch, Djurgården have a good passing game.

You where lucky to escape Tele 2 Arena with one point, but I am not sure if Djurgården can keep this brilliant stretch of form up. I feel like Bergstrand / Lagerlöf are the best coaches in the league currently. We are playing the best football in the league at the moment, and as long as we keep playing like this a gold isn’t out of the question. Part of me is still afraid that we will lose another derby to drain our title hopes again though, and we don’t have close to the squad depth of Malmö or AIK.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ajax again fail to win their first league game of the season, drawing Vitesse 2-2.

Tadic scored a late goal where he seemed clearly offside with his right foot, VAR reviewed the goal and said it was a good goal. No idea how they failed to see that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Celtic obliterated poor St Johnstone 7-0 at Parkhead today. And none of those goals (except one that was a spectacular howler) were tap ins.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax again fail to win their first league game of the season, drawing Vitesse 2-2.

Tadic scored a late goal where he seemed clearly offside with his right foot, VAR reviewed the goal and said it was a good goal. No idea how they failed to see that.

I thought so too, but the picture shown on the television was when the ball already left van de Beek's foot. You could see how the VAR used a different moment, where they rewinded it just a tad. No offside there. Definitely close.

Either way; Ajax being Ajax in starting slow. They lose the most points in the first few weeks and today was no exception.

Player notes:
  • Tagliafico was horrible today. He never had an off game like this last season, but it was just his first game since the Copa America, not to mention his defensive colleagues were all different from last season.
  • Marin: You can tell he has a boat load of skills. He worked hard, but it was him who didn't mark his man on the counter which caused the 1-0. He also missed an absolute sitter when it was still 1-2.
  • Veltman was pretty mediocre. Mazraoui should be fit to play 90 minutes soon and take over. With Dest waiting in the wings, I'd happily sell Veltman to West Ham, as rumored.
  • Ziyech was dreadful. Didn't look motivated at all and lost more balls than he kept.
  • Daley Blind continues his strong play even at DM. There was one sequence where he conquered the ball, shook off two opponents in a seemingly hopeless situation, created space for a combination and hit the crossbar. I'd like him and Frenkie de Jong at midfield for Oranje. He's still so underrated internationally.
  • Martinez was a bit too enthousiast with his tackles at times. Put himself out of position a few moments.
  • Donnie van de Beek is always there where you want him to. Another goal and assist today while being as spirited as ever. He did had a lackluster moment on an offensive, indirect free kick. Turned it over and it eventually led to their 2-1. He'll be missed if Real Madrid pulls through.
  • Tadic looked fine.
  • Schuurs was decent, but you could tell this backline has no chemistry yet.
  • Already mentioned this last season, but Dolberg needs a change of scenery. He isn't made for Ten Hag's playing style. Did absolutely nothing worth mentioning.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Watched the first half Martinez started why? And damn @John Pedro was right the kid is tiny.

Because he left a great impression during pre-season an plays with grit and passion Dutch defenders don't naturally posses. He had an alright game today, but nothing special. He'll play until Alvarez is ready at least. Then Martinez, Alvarez and Schuurs will fight for two CB spots. Quite a luxury.

Tiny? Certainly no giant but he's 1.78.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Celtic obliterated poor St Johnstone 7-0 at Parkhead today. And none of those goals (except one that was a spectacular howler) were tap ins.
Think all 3 of Christie's goals today were from outside the box. We looked great today even though st Johnstone were awful. Edouards ability to dribble is amazing for a striker.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Because he left a great impression during pre-season an plays with grit and passion Dutch defenders don't naturally posses. He had an alright game today, but nothing special. He'll play until Alvarez is ready at least. Then Martinez, Alvarez and Schuurs will fight for two CB spots. Quite a luxury.

Tiny? Certainly no giant but he's 1.78.
Good to hear I thought he was alright too. Hopefully he can progress with more gam time.

That's 5"8 pretty small for a CB.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
LOL at the Sevco supporters staging a pitch invasion after getting a late winner vs Scottish powerhouse Killie.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Over 27k for Twente Enschede in their return to the Eredivisie.

Attendances were down this weekend due to black Saturday. Twente always attracts big crowds though, especially for Eredivisie sides. They showcased the biggest banner ever made in the Benelux.

data47837688-4619ca.jpg

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Super Paulinho is blowing up in China. In the last month month alone he's scored in every single match, a total of 9 goals in 6 matches, and has been Man of the Match according to WhoScored in 3 of those matches. And that's just the last month. His team is now in first place as well. Looks like that 42 million wasn't such a bad transfer fee after all.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Super Paulinho is blowing up in China. In the last month month alone he's scored in every single match, a total of 9 goals in 6 matches, and has been Man of the Match according to WhoScored in 3 of those matches. And that's just the last month. His team is now in first place as well. Looks like that 42 million wasn't such a bad transfer fee after all.
better than Couts or nah?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Defoe bags a hat trick today in the Rangers huge win over Hibernian. He's a bloody big deal!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I always liked Blind better at DM; he split time between that and leftback when he won Dutch footballer of the year way back when, but most of his best performances that season came in midfield.

Someone to keep an eye on is Gyrano Kerk. He had a strong season with Utrecht last year but this year he has taken it to another level (it would seem, only 2 games in of course). Fast, good dribbler, great shot, good off the ball movement and comfortable out wide or in the middle. I think he needs to get his head up a bit more sometimes but otherwise looks very promising even though he's a little older (almost 24).

Also still kind of questioning the Pierie move to Ajax if he isn't going to be playing for the first team. Why would he leave a fairly good situation in Heerenveen for that? Certainly a big step down to be playing for Ajax II.

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I always liked Blind better at DM; he split time between that and leftback when he won Dutch footballer of the year way back when, but most of his best performances that season came in midfield.

I used to think so as well, but he was nothing short of excellent at CB last season. He totally convinced me there, but I feel that he might fill the void left by Frenkie better than anyone on the squad, especially now with Eiting still having nagging injury issues. We have a surplus of CB's right now anyway.

I'd play:

----------------------- Tadic -----------------------
-- Neres -------------------------- Ziyech --------
-------------------- van de Beek ---------------------
------------------ Marin -- Blind ------------------
Tagliafico ------------------------------ Mazraoui
---------------- Schuurs - Alvarez ----------------
---------------------- Onana -----------------------

Somehow Ten Hag played with Martinez - Veltman as a CB duo vs Emmen. I guess he's still experimenting.

Someone to keep an eye on is Gyrano Kerk. He had a strong season with Utrecht last year but this year he has taken it to another level (it would seem, only 2 games in of course). Fast, good dribbler, great shot, good off the ball movement and comfortable out wide or in the middle. I think he needs to get his head up a bit more sometimes but otherwise looks very promising even though he's a little older (almost 24).

Kerk is getting a lot of media attention all of a sudden and rightfully so. Teams have picked up on that. Besides fast, he's also very strong with the ball. Utrecht is now worried they might lose him and have set the price at 10M. I think he'll stay and that he'll do very good this year, especially with Dalmau as his parter up front. I have Utrecht finishing 5th mostly because of that tandem.

Also still kind of questioning the Pierie move to Ajax if he isn't going to be playing for the first team. Why would he leave a fairly good situation in Heerenveen for that? Certainly a big step down to be playing for Ajax II.

It's a route which is common and what Ajax always envisioned. Neither Pierie or Ajax expected him to be with Ajax' first team right now. Frenkie de Jong had to learn the Ajax way with the second team when he joined from Willem II. Perr Schuurs, who captained Fortuna to the Eredivisie at 17, same. Scherpen, same. It always leads to question marks whether they should've made the step in the first place, but I see that it works well. It's why Ajax never wants to loan out these projects. They want to form them themselves. I just have my doubts on Pierie in general. I think he has amazing upside with the ball. He's smart, too, but he doesn't have the physical attributes, does not posses a strong positional game, lacks pace, lacks ruggedness. Hopefully he can work on that with Ajax II. If Pierie doesn't work out, he can still move to bigger sides than Heerenveen. The facilities, learning the Ajax way, practicing with Ajax I and having the chance to play for them in Cup games, not to mention a much better paycheck; there are plenty of reasons why he chose Ajax and how he will only get better from it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
It always leads to question marks whether they should've made the step in the first place, but I see that it works well. It's why Ajax never wants to loan out these projects. They want to form them themselves.

Of course they also have Jong Ajax playing in the 2nd division. I wish we could do that in Belgium as well. Right now we've got 24 fully pro teams, with 16 playing in the first division and 8 in the second. So why not let the big clubs have their U21 teams play in the second division as well. Would make that division more competitive and would be way better for player development as well.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Of course they also have Jong Ajax playing in the 2nd division. I wish we could do that in Belgium as well. Right now we've got 24 fully pro teams, with 16 playing in the first division and 8 in the second. So why not let the big clubs have their U21 teams play in the second division as well. Would make that division more competitive and would be way better for player development as well.

It does. I think it's helped the transition for some youngsters a lot. They suddenly play vs real pro's and experienced vets. Obviously if they become champions, like Ajax II (or Jong Ajax) were in 2018, it's a bit of a weird situation where the number 2 is automatically promoted. Sort of a "spek en bonen" role. You don't want too many second pro squad in the competition.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
What are your predictions for the Jupiler Pro League, @Savi? I don't see Genk repeating and Brugge lost a shit load of talent. Anderlecht assembled a nice group of players, but they need some time to gel.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
What are your predictions for the Jupiler Pro League, @Savi? I don't see Genk repeating and Brugge lost a **** load of talent. Anderlecht assembled a nice group of players, but they need some time to gel.

I find it incredibly hard to predict this upcoming season. Last season Genk and Brugge were just way better than the field, but they also lost the most talent during this summer so far.

Club Brugge according to the media and fans are the overwhelming title favourites. Yes they've lost a lot of key players but a few weeks into the new season their new additions are looking really good. They fixed their biggest weakness and signed Mignolet from Liverpool which is a huge upgrade on previous GK Ethan Horvath. Defence looks solid, midfield has great chemistry and they have the best forward group in the league. They also got Genk's title winning coach who's a former Brugge player and assistent manager as well. My prediction: Top 2 finish.

Genk lost key players in all areas of their squad as well as their coach and replaced him with a more defensive minded coach which I don't understand at all. I don't see them repeating anyways because they have because replaced their best players with young prospects such as Ianis Hagi. These kids are talented but will need time. They could also still lose Sander Berge and top goalscorer Aly Samatta. They've started the season with 1 win and 2 losses. My prediction: will finish between 3-6

Standard Liege are notoriously hard to predict. They've strengthened their squad, especially their forward group, and made Zinho Vanheusden the most expensive incoming transfer for a Belgian club when signed him from Inter for €12m. Their coach Michel Preudhomme is a bit like Mourinho - his teams always excel in his second season. But each season Standard has the same problem. They're an overly emotional club, they are very strong at home and usually very weak in away games, and their squad has a hard time getting motivated for matchups against smaller clubs. My prediction: Top 4 finish

Anderlecht are a construction site at the moment. Lots of new faces, lots of young prospects getting playing time. Kompany still working a lot of stuff out and implementing his "Pep system". They've played some nice football already but the reality is they have faced 3 weak teams so far and only gotten 2 points out of it while only scoring 1 goal. Their upcoming schedule is BRUTAL so in about 4 to 6 weeks from now we'll be much wiser. But a lot will depend on how good new striker Kemar Roofe is, if Nasri and Chadli can get back to their old form, and how much (and how fast) these youngsters can progress. My prediction: anywhere from 3rd place to 7th or 8th - I really have no clue

Antwerp haven't changed their squad all that much, still look solid as a rock and have plenty of experience. I could see them hitting a wall if they manage to reach the Europa group stage because they have an old squad which will be at their best with only 1 game per week. But this team is very well coached, can be physically imposing, and still are a tough matchup for just about anybody. Started the season with 2W 1L so far. My prediction: Top 5 finish

Gent will be what they usually are: a decent outsider who could beat anybody on a good day but doesn't have the overall quality or depth to actually challenge for the title. Also I'm not a fan of their manager and at times I've had the feeling a lot of Gent fans aren't either. Had a mediocre start of the season so far with 1W 1L 1D but have had to play EL qualfying rounds for the past couple of weeks as well. My prediction: will finish between 3-6

Realistically I can't see any other team besides these make the championship playoffs this season, unless Anderlecht really can't get their shit together fast enough and finish outside of the top 6. But even then, I can't really see which team would take their place. The usual suspects are Charleroi, Zulte Waregem, maybe Kortrijk. But we should have the same group of six again, battling it out for the title and all predictions aside, when it comes to the championship playoffs, anything can happen.

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Thanks for that one. I feel once Anderlecht gets going, they might squeak into the top two. I love their mix of veterans and youth, especially Doku. Not to mention I am a big fan of Vlap. They just seem to have a special player at nearly all positions.

I am not too familiar with the acquisitions of Brugge, with the exception of Okereke. Tried to follow him since Ajax showed interest during the winter window. Last thing I heard was that they didn't want to go higher than 6.5M. That will bite them in the ass in a year or two. Seems like he's off to a great start in Belgium as well. I think he'll replace Wesley well. Groeneveld was expendable with Diatta. Not sure how they will manage the loss of Denswill, who most considered one of the better defenders in the entire league. Vanaken and Vormer are solid at MF. Will be interesting to follow.

I think it will play out:

1) Club Brugge
2) Standaard Luik
3) RSC Anderlecht
4) Genk
5) Gent
6) Antwerp

I feel the Jupiler Pro League is on the rise and getting more attractive. There's more parity than in most of the leagues. I feel the Eredivisie is on a the rise as well, but Ajax seems to be a little too dominant these and the next few years.

That playoffs systems sucks ass, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad