Other Chicago Sports LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
interesting...Alvarez has the highest OPS and OPS+ in the history of the game for any players 22 and under. His park adjusted wRC is 190...that is elite as it gets..his average exit velocity and hard hit rate are both top 15 in the game..the dude just crushes the ball..he crushes both lefties and righties and rarely strikes out..I would be curious as to why you say Alonso..I love the Polar Bear as well, but what Alvarez is doing is unbelievable in an era of home run/power hitters.
The bats are pretty comparable. I just think there's more DH risk with Yordan.

This is like a razor thin choice, so it's razor thin reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That ESPN Dennis Rodman 30 for 30... outstanding.

Seems like he and Jordan had a great relationship. I could totally picture Rodman as the enforcer arm of Jordan’s leadership based on those clips.

Rodman seems like a good guy, just never really found self awareness IMO. Amazing energy and authenticity though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Seems like he and Jordan had a great relationship. I could totally picture Rodman as the enforcer arm of Jordan’s leadership based on those clips.

Rodman seems like a good guy, just never really found self awareness IMO. Amazing energy and authenticity though.
It will be hard for me to ever "understand" Rodman again after he supported and praised a sociopath who killed millions of people of starvation while his family flew in caviar from Europe every week. That's when Rodman crossed the line. People don't understand because The Kim Family is based a half a world away ... but they are no different than Hitler. They sent millions of innocent people to their deaths by the use of concentration camps.

Reactions: hawksrule

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It will be hard for me to ever "understand" Rodman again after he supported and praised a sociopath who killed millions of people of starvation while his family flew in caviar from Europe every week. That's when Rodman crossed the line. People don't understand because The Kim Family is based a half a world away ... but they are no different than Hitler. They sent millions of innocent people to their deaths by the use of concentration camps.

How/why did he even get involved with them?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
How/why did he even get involved with them?
Current leader, Kim Jung Un, went to school in Switzerland. He became a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan. By default, Kim became a fan of Dennis Rodman too. Hence, he once invited Rodman to North Korea, which he accepted. Then Rodman decided to invite some of his NBA peers to North Korea (money involved) for an exhibition. He thought basketball would create some peace bridge between the North and South Korea/Japan. The guy is clueless.

First, no one in South Korea hates North Koreans. They believe themselves as one country/people. Second, the South Koreans have a distrust for The Kim Family and their regime. North Korea's entire ideology is that The Kim Family are gods AND Japan/South Korea/United States are pure EVIL. When the ideology is exactly that, there are NO negotiations. North Korea wants Japan, South Korea, and the US to suffer and go down in flames.

Dennis Rodman never took the time to study the history of North Korea. Now he 'thinks' he knows what's best for Korea. This idiot who can't even maintain a decent relationship with his children.

Reactions: RayP

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I don’t blame you. Just my opinion, but Rodman doesn’t seem to have control of his emotions and isn’t really in tune with himself. Therefore, he is a natural amplifier of his environment and the people around him. So he can be putty in the hands of other people without really knowing it. Obviously, bad people are going to take advantage of that. Leaders like Chuck Daly, Phil Jackson, Isaiah and MJ took advantage of that part of him in a positive way toward winning championships. Other people like Kim are going to use him to make themselves look good. He seems to have a good heart but it’s like that old saying, “You can’t save the world until you save yourself.” It seems like he skipped the hardest and most important step. For that, he is deserving of ridicule.

Seeing his kids talk about him was jarring because they really didn’t seem to feel any love from him at all. And that he doesn’t seem to understand that whatever happened to him is what he is doing to them definitely makes him out to be a jerk. I just honestly don’t think he knows or has any interest in confronting any of this stuff. His daughter knew exactly what the problem was and understood he just will not fix it. Maybe he can’t do that. Someone like that and fame aren’t a good mix and that was touched on repeatedly in the documentary. So I guess what I am getting at is understanding him isn’t absolving him.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Another bomb for Eloy. Kid is going to hit 30 of them this season and he's missed alot of time on the IL. Can't wait to witness 2020 Eloy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don’t blame you. Just my opinion, but Rodman doesn’t seem to have control of his emotions and isn’t really in tune with himself. Therefore, he is a natural amplifier of his environment and the people around him. So he can be putty in the hands of other people without really knowing it. Obviously, bad people are going to take advantage of that. Leaders like Chuck Daly, Phil Jackson, Isaiah and MJ took advantage of that part of him in a positive way toward winning championships. Other people like Kim are going to use him to make themselves look good. He seems to have a good heart but it’s like that old saying, “You can’t save the world until you save yourself.” It seems like he skipped the hardest and most important step. For that, he is deserving of ridicule.

Seeing his kids talk about him was jarring because they really didn’t seem to feel any love from him at all. And that he doesn’t seem to understand that whatever happened to him is what he is doing to them definitely makes him out to be a jerk. I just honestly don’t think he knows or has any interest in confronting any of this stuff. His daughter knew exactly what the problem was and understood he just will not fix it. Maybe he can’t do that. Someone like that and fame aren’t a good mix and that was touched on repeatedly in the documentary. So I guess what I am getting at is understanding him isn’t absolving him.
I understand why people would feel sorry for him. He had a terrible childhood and made himself into something from almost nothing. That said, the media that made him unique and even wanted, also fed into an ego that can't see beyond his own needs. He doesn't understand how his praise and support of a murderous dictator impacts other people. Starting a dialog is fine. Rodman went much farther and crossed the line.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Some people seem disappointed by his rookie year

I don't really see why he has been productive and you see all the talent there to be a star
I think bc a lot of guys are hitting a lot of HRs. To be a true superstar you’ve got to bring it with the glove and on the base paths now. He’s a really good player, just my opinion on maybe why people think that

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Some people seem disappointed by his rookie year

I don't really see why he has been productive and you see all the talent there to be a star

You always hope a guy wont go through rookie struggles, but most of them do. I also think he's going to go nuts next year.

And to beat anyone to it, we should expect Luis Robert to struggle next year as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he hovers around 40% strikeouts for a good while. They're probably going to have him chasing sliders until he can learn to lay off them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad