OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XLIX: Trades, Trades, & More Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Meh ,, Should have probably just traded Robertson there and gotten a few decent mid level guys in already agreed to Eaton deal

If the Sox are talking Robertson this much its pretty clear he is not gonna be back for next year

Surprising the Sox didn't budge on that, because I still would have considered that trade a landslide in favor of the Sox if Robertson was included. But hey, we'll see where that goes. Hopefully they get something solid back for him, whether it's in the next few days or at next summer's trading deadline.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Thanks.

Don't you have to pay for BP? I'm not familiar with their site.

Do you know what they are waiting in RWar that would have the conclusion be that Robertson was worth twice as much last year than 2015 because that doesn't add up to me.

Not for their stats.

They use ERA as the basis while FG uses FIP and BP uses DRA.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think they're moving everybody. You don't move Sale and then go halfway in.

I think they might hold onto Q given

1) Teams seem to be balking at paying same price as Sale or close to it
2) That extra year of control could allow him to be ace of a rejuvenated Sox in a few years
3) Team still needs to put some butts in seats so trading everyone wouldn't be greatest thing
4) Could hold a ton of value at trade deadline potentially to team in race

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
When it comes to hockey, yea, pretty much. I haven't seen a ton of DeBrincat but the numbers are impressive and I'll preface a statement by saying I haven't seen him play much.

Baseball's different. You can pretty much break a guy down by the numbers at this level. I know names and their supposed upside when it comes to prospects but you'd be hard pressed to find me give an opinion about one kid over another for that reason.

for me, i use the players profile and scouting rpts that some sports site give.

with all this, i just look to see the potential and what is on the table. hell, none of us works the sox or any other major sports org that has professional scouting rpts.

so alot of the opinions that poster post, is and are plain opinions.

you know what the bottom line is, sports talk on our favorite teams, when i was young, we did this in bars. now it is the internet.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Meh ,, Should have probably just traded Robertson there and gotten a few decent mid level guys in already agreed to Eaton deal

If the Sox are talking Robertson this much its pretty clear he is not gonna be back for next year

very true.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Surprising the Sox didn't budge on that, because I still would have considered that trade a landslide in favor of the Sox if Robertson was included. But hey, we'll see where that goes. Hopefully they get something solid back for him, whether it's in the next few days or at next summer's trading deadline.

i am spit ballin here, but the rtn would be the same and sox didn't want that.....

but who knows. all know it is exciting

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think they might hold onto Q given i do too, he has always been a good soldier so to speak. the org kind of guy. but it would take a king's ransom to pry him away from chi..... my opinion.

1) Teams seem to be balking at paying same price as Sale or close to it
2) That extra year of control could allow him to be ace of a rejuvenated Sox in a few years
3) Team still needs to put some butts in seats so trading everyone wouldn't be greatest thing
4) Could hold a ton of value at trade deadline potentially to team in race

remember we are talking about jr, they want fans in the stands.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't see how Q puts butts in seats. I think, especially with the success of the Cubs, most Sox fans are excited that the team is doing an actual rebuild. Now, weather that translates into more or less fans going, who knows. But I don't see how having Q or not having Q changes how many people go to the games all that much. I could see people wanting to go specifically to see Sale, but I don't think that applies to Q.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't see how Q puts buts in seats. I think, especially with the success of the Cubs, most Sox fans are excited that the team is doing an actual rebuild. Now, weather that translates into more or less fans going, who knows. But I don't see how having Q or not having Q changes how many people go to the games all that much. I could see people wanting to go specifically to see Sale, but I don't think that applies to Q.

i will justify my statement by saying this. some fans goes to see certain games based on who is pitching.

i am thinking like this or if they are really lucky and catch lightning in a bottle and are good, he, with shields can lead the team.

who knows. just spit ballin.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
i will justify my statement by saying this. some fans goes to see certain games based on who is pitching.
i am thinking like this or if they are really lucky and catch lightning in a bottle and are good, he, with shields can lead the team.

who knows. just spit ballin.

Right. Sale is an electric guy to watch. Every time he goes out, he has the chance to throw a no hitter or strike out 15. Q, while being very good, just doesn't bring that sort of excitement, IMO. I obviously don't have the numbers, but I don't imagine there was much of a difference in attendance when Q pitched vs any non Sale pitcher. I would expect you would have seen an attendance increase with Sale starts.

So the only way that Q would effect attendance is in terms of the overall success of the team. Obviously, more people come out to see a winner. But with the Sale/Eaton deals, the Sox are clearly telling their fans that they don't expect to be competitive next year. So what is the difference between having Q on the team? Maybe a 70 win team with him vs a 65 win team without him? I don't think that will make a difference in terms of fans showing up to games so I don't think attendance plays a role in any decision to trade or not trade him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well pitching matchups do matter to some

I for instance would love to go back in time and not attend the Jamie Navarro pitched games I attended in 90's

My god were those brutal

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Right. Sale is an electric guy to watch. Every time he goes out, he has the chance to throw a no hitter or strike out 15. Q, while being very good, just doesn't bring that sort of excitement, IMO. I obviously don't have the numbers, but I don't imagine there was much of a difference in attendance when Q pitched vs any non Sale pitcher. I would expect you would have seen an attendance increase with Sale starts.

So the only way that Q would effect attendance is in terms of the overall success of the team. Obviously, more people come out to see a winner. But with the Sale/Eaton deals, the Sox are clearly telling their fans that they don't expect to be competitive next year. So what is the difference between having Q on the team? Maybe a 70 win team with him vs a 65 win team without him? I don't think that will make a difference in terms of fans showing up to games so I don't think attendance plays a role in any decision to trade or not trade him.

yeah, you and iu hawks fan makes a solid point.

as i said, i was just throwing it out there.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Brett Taylor ‎@BleacherNation

Sounds like Cubs are close to a one-year deal with Koji Uehara in the $6 million range.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
re robertson,

i have been thinking and what i just thought of, could the sox be waiting for jansen to sign. like this to see if any of the teams the sox may want to trade with and needs a closer, they may add competition in the bidding purpose. like dodgers and there could be some other unknown teams not showing their hand yet.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
You knew he wasn't going to be coming back to Chicago, and you obviously don't want to see him go to a rival, but good for him getting a payday. That's one heck of a contract. Maybe it's because I hate the Cards, but that just seems odd. He never seemed like an amazing player, just a perfect fit for the Cubs.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
A ton of salty Cubs fans on twitter. Can't blame the guy for cashing in on his career year no matter where it is. He was the biggest reason why your World Champs. If he gets booed when he comes back to Wrigley, those Cub fans should be shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad