Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXV - NBA Lottery Watch/MLB Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yep, I'm thinking I was mighty wrong about Tim Anderson. He's basically Javy Baez without the fielding ... which is still great. Tim Anderson can hit the ball.
Tim has been pretty great in the field the past couple of years on his own right. Not that I trust publicly available defensive metrics that much, but Tim was a 9.1 FRAA guy last year. The eye test matches up with it. I think Javy is a better defender, especially given his versatility. But, Tim could easily be a better defensive SS.

The most amazing thing about this guy though is that he started playing ball in HS. He's just that great of an athlete.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Tim has been pretty great in the field the past couple of years on his own right. Not that I trust publicly available defensive metrics that much, but Tim was a 9.1 FRAA guy last year. The eye test matches up with it. I think Javy is a better defender, especially given his versatility. But, Tim could easily be a better defensive SS.

The most amazing thing about this guy though is that he started playing ball in HS. He's just that great of an athlete.
I'm not going to argue about Anderson's fielding. I don't how to measure that. All I can say is that Anderson can hit the ball well. This is one of the few times Kenny Williams bet on picking athletes over baseball players turned out really well. You're right, Anderson still has a lot of growth left due to his inexperience.

However, just like Javy, I do worry about Anderson's lack of walks. That usually leads to prolonged slumps more often than not. However, when they are hot, they are hot.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I'm not going to argue about Anderson's fielding. I don't how to measure that. All I can say is that Anderson can hit the ball well. This is one of the few times Kenny Williams bet on picking athletes over baseball players turned out really well. You're right, Anderson still has a lot of growth left due to his inexperience.

However, just like Javy, I do worry about Anderson's lack of walks. That usually leads to prolonged slumps more often than not. However, when they are hot, they are hot.
No, I undestand. I'm just happy with how Anderson has progressed. Especially getting over the mental hurdle of losing his friend. These things often affect these guys quite a bit. Moustakas and Piscotty had down years when dealing with ill relatives and it's not something that's often reported.

You're not wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad