Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXV - NBA Lottery Watch/MLB Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
For you kiddos out there, this is why when a manager has won a World Series and taken your team to the playoffs every year he’s been with the club, you don’t fire him for losing a few games the first week of the season.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't think many Cubs fans wanted Maddon fired honestly. Seems like you're doing what a lot of talkign heads will do, find a ridiculous opinion on Twitter and make it out to be a huge segment of the fanbase.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
For you kiddos out there, this is why when a manager has won a World Series and taken your team to the playoffs every year he’s been with the club, you don’t fire him for losing a few games the first week of the season.

Most people weren’t ready to fire him yet. But people were saying (including myself) if the team continued down that path for too long, he may get fired quickly this season.

Which he could have. But that didn’t happen, so we’ll never know.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think people were bring up the possibility (myself included) that it could happen. I'd say the smart money is on the Cubs moving on from Joe after this year, baring a great season. There's a real riff there. As such, I don't think the Cubs were going to give him a long leash this year if things kept going bad.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'm not sure how much there is a riff" and how much is they think they can get a similar level of results with a way cheaper guy. Maddon is among like one of 5 guys who make a ton of money managing at this point.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure how much there is a riff" and how much is they think they can get a similar level of results with a way cheaper guy. Maddon is among like one of 5 guys who make a ton of money managing at this point.

Cubs aren't my team, so I probably don't follow as closely as you or others. But I thought they basically installed their own bench coaches and were trying to install a sense of urgency and tighten up the lose atmosphere. You had Theo talking about taking more BP in season and things of that nature. That struck me as pretty out of the norm for the GM/Pres to be talking about something like that. Maybe I'm off with that, but that's where I'm coming from.

You make a good point about the money as well.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Yeah, it seems the trade talk and the trade itself messed with his head for a while. The guy you guys got last night is the guy who was 8th in WAR for starting pitchers from 2013-16.

What is evident is when he is on how game he has excellent stuff. Great 4 seamer & curve plus a changeup.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
No one wants the last 2 Champions League spots. Arsenal getting housed by Wolves
Tottenham won yesterday! They have pretty much solidified at least one of the spots.

Arsenal is terrible, especially on the road. Man United has been garbage lately too, me thinks hiring Ole after a few months of success will be a big mistake.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Curious question for fellow Cubs fans. Do you think as of today Javy Báez is the face of the franchise? I am leaning that way. Thoughts?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Kris Bryant is doing himself any favors at the moment. I would say it’s certainly starting to lean towards Baez.
Gotta give em a year with that shoulder. Conforto had a bit of a down year last year recovering and looks better than ever.

Anyways, Baez' DRC+ is up from last year and he's 4th in bWARP behind Bellinger, Trout, and Dejong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->