Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm feeling sick to my stomach. Were they not serious? I mean, they should of expected at least 10/300 going in to this. What are they going to do with all the money they've been the hoarding the last few years? Uggh.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'm feeling sick to my stomach. Were they not serious? I mean, they should of expected at least 10/300 going in to this. What are they going to do with all the money they've been the hoarding the last few years? Uggh.

Now they can fire Jim Boylen

Reactions: Kurtosis

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So you don't want superstars on the Sox? Because that's what they cost. He actually came in a little under what was widely expected at the beginning of the off-season.

Hopefully they have one coming up in May in Jimenez. It's not so much the cost but the term that scares me. I know he's only 26 but 10 years is an eternity and the Sox aren't ever going to be a team that can just outspend a mistake like that, if it turns into one. I was never in love with Machado but did get more excited as time went on and it seemed like a possibility.

But the whole time, it seemed to me that Hahn was pretty clear that they were going to do their due diligence but not go above whatever number they had determined. I never thought they'd go near 10/300 personally. I'm disappointed they didn't get him, but I'm not upset.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Honestly? I don't think they were. My gut feeling when the rumors started was that the Sox were more interested in looking like they were trying to make a play than actually trying to make a play.

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
10 years $300 million? He better be a first ballot Hall of Famer when he retires. A great contract for MLB players and should end collusion talk about owners.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I stand by what I said earlier. Anyone who thought they were ever serious was a fool.

This is such horseshit. They are one of four teams linked to him and one of two to have made an actual offer. That they choose to not go to 10/300 doesn't mean they weren't ever serious.

Just Cubs fan bullshit.

Speaking of fools, if you think the Cubs don't have the money to spend on anyone....

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This is such horse****. They are one of four teams linked to him and one of two to have made an actual offer. That they choose to not go to 10/300 doesn't mean they weren't ever serious.

Just Cubs fan bull****.

Speaking of fools, if you think the Cubs don't have the money to spend on anyone....

What Cubs fans actually believe that? Lol. Every single one I pay attention to has called them out on that, so poor comparison.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This is such horse****. They are one of four teams linked to him and one of two to have made an actual offer. That they choose to not go to 10/300 doesn't mean they weren't ever serious.

Just Cubs fan bull****.

I'm a Sox fan dude. Sometimes you have to take off the silver and black sunglasses.

I will disagree until eternity about the bolded. 10/300 was the minimum necessary to get the job done. If they weren't willing to go there, they were never serious.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm a Sox fan dude. Sometimes you have to take off the silver and black sunglasses.

I will disagree until eternity about the bolded. 10/300 was the minimum necessary to get the job done. If they weren't willing to go there, they were never serious.

My bad then, but that doesn't make your statement any less full of shit. How many teams have been linked to Machado? How many made offers?

So using your definition, only 1 team was serious about Manny, because only one team hit the minimum. Phillies weren't serious. What a load of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad