Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Also with a hard cap comes a cap floor, which would probably affect many teams that have decided to 'rebuild'. I agree that the owners will fight tooth and nail to avoid this.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Heyman blowing up twitter right now implying Machado to Padres and Harper to Phillies. Go check it out, especially if you're a Sox fan. Get your torches and pitchforks ready....
We're all silly for having thought it was plausible to begin with.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Heyman blowing up twitter right now implying Machado to Padres and Harper to Phillies. Go check it out, especially if you're a Sox fan. Get your torches and pitchforks ready....
We're all silly for having thought it was plausible to begin with.

I don't see anything from Heyman implying Machado is going to SD.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
That said, a San Diego beat writer replied that his impression is the Padres offer to Machado is more than 250 mil.
Sucks for the Sox. Had a chance to get a whale without the big boys going after them. Won't happen again.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
You struggle with reading comprehension?

@Sarava said a SD beat writer said the Padres are after him and you said the Sox "had a chance to get a whale without the big boys going after them. Won't happen again".

So.. what am I missing? Are you calling the Padres "the big boys" or what?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Padres allegedly have a fantastic farm and are one of those teams that seem to be a hot pick to be a next great team in the near future. Landing Machado would be a big exclamation point for them and to signal to fans to come out in droves (especially now that they're the only major game in town).

And can't complain about their climate for being a pleasant place to live.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
@Sarava said a SD beat writer said the Padres are after him and you said the Sox "had a chance to get a whale without the big boys going after them. Won't happen again".

So.. what am I missing? Are you calling the Padres "the big boys" or what?

He means that the Yankees and BoSox and other "big boys" weren't really after them, so it's a missed opportunity for the Sox to get a whale without competing with those teams to sign him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That should give the Padres a nice boost and it sends a good message to their fanbase.

With the Chargers gone, now would be a good time for them to really turn that franchise around and rally the fanbase.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
As a Sox fan, I'm disappointed, but the 10 years scares me. I never really believed it was going to happen, so I'm not crushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad