Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You want to know what's crazy? If the Cubs had made that deal, they probably would have been in on Harper this offseason. You know what else? They probably get him. And they still have Eloy and Cease.

The Cubs aren't on Harper because of money. Sale makes more than Bryant so this is non-nonsensical.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You want to know what's crazy? If the Cubs had made that deal, they probably would have been in on Harper this offseason. You know what else? They probably get him. And they still have Eloy and Cease.
The Cubs are better off without all of them and having Bryant.

Eloy doesn't crack the outfield, Cease doesn't make the rotation, and unless Harper plays third he's another guy in the logjam.

Eloy and Cease were trade bait the entire time

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The 5 years of Bryant vs 3 years of Sale didn’t line up though. If Sale was 2 years younger with 2 more years of control, I’d agree.
Well, they could have torn up his option years and given him a deal that would have netted him 5/125 and it would have been a decent deal.
Also, I don't think they sign Darvish if they have Sale.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The Cubs are better off without all of them and having Bryant.

Eloy doesn't crack the outfield, Cease doesn't make the rotation, and unless Harper plays third he's another guy in the logjam.

Eloy and Cease were trade bait the entire time
Dude, to be honest with you I don't think Bryant is ever going to be that guy again. I think he's going to put up .265/.340/.785 or so with 20-25 HR per year going forward, and 175+K per season. Still a good player, but not an MVP candidate anymore.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Dude, to be honest with you I don't think Bryant is ever going to be that guy again. I think he's going to put up .265/.340/.785 or so with 20-25 HR per year going forward, and 175+K per season. Still a good player, but not an MVP candidate anymore.
I don't understand this thought process at all. Because he was hurt one season he's suddenly not going the same guy? Let's not forget before his injury lats year he was on pace for this best season ever.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

This is based off of what exactly?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

lol, ok.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Based on the fact that he got injured because of his swing and he had to change it to stay healthy. I also think the shoulder injury could end up sapping a lot of his power.
He got injured because of a bad slide, not because of his swing. After the injury from the slide, the swing did in fact aggravate the shoulder injury, but it did not cause it. Now that his should has healed, he/the team are not expecting it to become re-injured.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lol whut?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He got injured because of a bad slide, not because of his swing. After the injury from the slide, the swing did in fact aggravate the shoulder injury, but it did not cause it. Now that his should has healed, he/the team are not expecting it to become re-injured.
That isn't what I heard but ok. I thought it was his swing itself that was causing his shoulder aggravation.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So basically you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Got it.
Nah, I just heard what I wanted to because I badly want Bryant to fall off of a cliff and suck. I've been rooting for him to fail because Cub fans have been talking about his HOF induction in 2040 before he even took an MLB at bat. Sorry, I'm petty. That is the guy I WANT him to be going forward, just to get annoying Cub fans like KBIB to shut up.

I made a bet with a buddy in 2016 about Sale/Cy Young and Bryant/MVP and there is a picture floating around somewhere with me in a Bryant jersey. I'm not a jackass so I actually held up my end of the bargain. I've wanted Bryant to fail miserably ever since.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nah, I just heard what I wanted to because I badly want Bryant to fall off of a cliff and suck. I've been rooting for him to fail because Cub fans have been talking about his HOF induction in 2040 before he even took an MLB at bat. Sorry, I'm petty. That is the guy I WANT him to be going forward, just to get annoying Cub fans like KBIB to shut up.

I made a bet with a buddy in 2016 about Sale/Cy Young and Bryant/MVP and there is a picture floating around somewhere with me in a Bryant jersey. I'm not a jackass so I actually held up my end of the bargain. I've wanted Bryant to fail miserably ever since.

:help:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Wow, KBS. There are hot takes then there are HOT TAKES. I hope you are wrong, and I believe you will be wrong.

Kris Bryant returns to MVP form, just to prove KBS wrong.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Wow, KBS. There are hot takes then there are HOT TAKES. I hope you are wrong, and I believe you will be wrong.

Kris Bryant returns to MVP form, just to prove KBS wrong.
Hey, you're probably right. But it won't stop me from gloating if he sucks, or is even average.
Just because I want KB to suck, doesn't mean that he is going to.
Not afraid to have a hot take every now and then, and I'm also not afraid to admit I was wrong. With my hot takes, I'm wrong more often than not so I'm used to it. I'm not going to be an insufferable grouch like BWC who defends his hot takes until the end of time even when proven wrong.

Last edited:

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
For the Cubs to really bring it this year, both KB & Darvish really have to bring it this year. Would also be nice to see bounce back years from Contreras & Schwarber. Finally let's hope hope Almora can hit for average from both sides of the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad