Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
A lot of dumb arguments on this forum but this one we somehow keep circling back to might be the dumbest.

Quintana has been terrible and a bust of a trade.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
A lot of dumb arguments on this forum but this one we somehow keep circling back to might be the dumbest.

As of right now, you're not wrong. We'll see. The Sox FO has proven over a half decade to be a clown college, so I can't trust them on anything, especially player evaluations.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

46 starts on a WS contender for two players who have yet to even make the majors is a bust?

Hahahaha

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What have they won with Q?
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Quintana hasn't been terrible. He's an innings eater and a competent low #3 / high #4 on a staff. More towards a #4 on a legit WS contender.

That said, the Cubs traded Eloy and Cease thinking Quintana was a #2. Hence, the trade is disappointing to this point. If the ChiSox traded both Eloy and Cease today, I'm thinking they'll get a legit #2 pitcher. The BoSox traded Moncada and Kopech and got Sale back ... a legit #1.

Reactions: Illinihockey

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Quintana hasn't been terrible. He's an innings eater and a competent low #3 / high #4 on a staff. More towards a #4 on a legit WS contender.

That said, the Cubs traded Eloy and Cease thinking Quintana was a #2. Hence, the trade is disappointing to this point. If the ChiSox traded both Eloy and Cease today, I'm thinking they'll get a legit #2 pitcher. The BoSox traded Moncada and Kopech and got Sale back ... a legit #1.

I can’t believe the Cubs didn’t go for Sale instead. It made too much sense. Is it actually possible Hahn took a lesser return to keep him off the Cubs?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I can’t believe the Cubs didn’t go for Sale instead. It made too much sense. Is it actually possible Hahn took a lesser return to keep him off the Cubs?
Haha wasn't giving Sale to the Cubs. If Sale won the Cy Young on the Northside, he would never hear the end of it ... regardless of what he got in return.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Haha wasn't giving Sale to the Cubs. If Sale won the Cy Young on the Northside, he would never hear the end of it ... regardless of what he got in return.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. But every time I brought it up to Sox fans during the World Series year, they were totally down for it. It was usually Russell+, Schwarber+ or Russell + Schwarber they wanted.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There was only one player the Sox could have received from the Cubs that would have made that palatable, and it was Kris Bryant. If they wanted to trade Bryant for Sale, sure. Otherwise GTFO.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
There was only one player the Sox could have received from the Cubs that would have made that palatable, and it was Kris Bryant. If they wanted to trade Bryant for Sale, sure. Otherwise GTFO.
(Spits out coffee)

The Sox didn't get a "Kris Bryant" for Sale from Boston.

As for Q, the Cubs made the playoffs both years he's been on the team, and has this year plus an option. One less worry in a rotation on a WS contender.

Lol @Bust. Lemme know when those two Cubs prospects are in the majors making a difference. Thanx

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
(Spits out coffee)

The Sox didn't get a "Kris Bryant" for Sale from Boston.

As for Q, the Cubs made the playoffs both years he's been on the team, and has this year plus an option. One less worry in a rotation on a WS contender.

Lol @Bust. Lemme know when those two Cubs prospects are in the majors making a difference. Thanx
That is what I call a "Cubs Tax" Theo would have had to pay more than anyone else to get Sale.
Sale put up 7.7 WAR in 2017, which is pretty damn close to Bryant's 7.9 in 2016 when he won MVP. It would have been a decent baseball trade.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
That is what I call a "Cubs Tax" Theo would have had to pay more than anyone else to get Sale.
Sale put up 7.7 WAR in 2017, which is pretty damn close to Bryant's 7.9 in 2016 when he won MVP. It would have been a decent baseball trade.

Bryant had a 7.9 WAR season the year he won the MVP (fangraphs). 2017 Sale had a 7.7 WAR.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

It would be interesting to know what Theo would have offered for Sale. My anecdotal study suggested Schwarber and Russell was the price with a Cubs tax included. I can’t say I would have done that, it seemed pretty steep. Sox would be all over that if they could go back though.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It would be interesting to know what Theo would have offered for Sale. My anecdotal study suggested Schwarber and Russell was the price with a Cubs tax included. I can’t say I would have done that, it seemed pretty steep. Sox would be all over that if they could go back though.

Pretty sure Hahn said or implied he would have only traded Sale for Bryant.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Pretty sure Hahn said or implied he would have only traded Sale for Bryant.
Yup. Theo said more, but in reality if they would have actually hammered out a trade it would have been Sale for Bryant straight up. It would have been one of those deals where both sides felt uncomfortable, and that is when you know it was a fair trade.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad