Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXII: The Bulls are technically an NBA team

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Zion in the best player, you take him.
He sure looks like it. Allegedly, he has a good motor too. That said, I heard numerous Duke insiders say RJ Barrett is the better talent in practice. I don't see it, but that's what's been said. I like Reddish's shooting.

That said, everyone thought Trae Young was the greatest in the first month last year. I suspect Zion's warts will be exposed throughout the year. We need to see more.

I think the biggest question with Zion will be his weight. He can't carry that much weight in the NBA. If he's committed to conditioning, you have to draft him. He is definitely a generational physical talent.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah I think RJ is the best player. Zion might have a higher ceiling, but I'm not even sure on that.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yeah I think RJ is the best player. Zion might have a higher ceiling, but I'm not even sure on that.
I don't know. I can't deny Zion's freaky athletic abilities. He's scary. I thought RJ would be more athletic. However, he is highly skilled and deft. Reddish can shoot and shoot well.

I have no idea who has the higher ceiling. I'm thinking Zion, RJ, and Reddish. That said, RJ can play PG and that could make his upside even higher. However, we do know who will sell the most tickets.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think that there was an inkling that a major club hockey program was going to be jumping up to NCAA D-I a week or two back, but as there's been no news on that front, it probably was about this:

The American Collegiate Hockey Association announced today that the governing body for non-varsity college hockey in the United States will debut a new seven-team Men’s Division I conference, Midwest College Hockey, with the start of the 2019-20 season.
The MCH will begin play next season with the following seven charter member teams:
1. Illinois State University (Normal, Ill.)
2. Lindenwood University-Belleville (Belleville, Ill.)
3. Maryville University (St. Louis, Mo.)
4. McKendree University (Lebanon, Ill.)
5. Midland University (Fremont, Neb.)
6. Northern Illinois University (DeKalb, Ill.)
7. Waldorf University (Forest City, Iowa)
ACHA to Launch New Men's D-I Conference | ACHA

One thing to really note is that Lindenwood is the only club program of note, really. And if they're bolting Illinois' club conference then it's going to shrink in size yet again.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think that there was an inkling that a major club hockey program was going to be jumping up to NCAA D-I a week or two back, but as there's been no news on that front, it probably was about this:

ACHA to Launch New Men's D-I Conference | ACHA

One thing to really note is that Lindenwood is the only club program of note, really. And if they're bolting Illinois' club conference then it's going to shrink in size yet again.

Lindenwood used to be a wagon. Not sure about now though. Their inline team was good as well.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Lindenwood used to be a wagon. Not sure about now though. Their inline team was good as well.

They're apparently ranked #1 right now, and won a championship three years ago, so seems like they're still a solid club program.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, neither do I, though I still like going to Illini games from time to time. And hey, Illinois State plays Illinois in home and away series sometimes, so I should take advantage of that now that I live in Bloomington-Normal.

Then again, I should take more advantage of the USHL team while they're still here, too.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Saw on ESPN the Cubs are open to trading Bryant. I can see why and if contract stuff is going nowhere might as well say your goodbyes

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Do it Hahn... do it now! No they'd want a bunch, but hey.. doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Do it Hahn... do it now!

Why? The Sox despise Boras. Why would they trade assets for Bryant and pay $300mn+ for an extension ... when they can try to sign Machado for $300mn without trading assets and deal with Boras just that one time with Machado.

It's not like Bryant is better than Machado. While Machado might have attidue issues ... Byrant has shoulder concerns. I'd rather try to sign Machado without giving up assets.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think Bryant goes anywhere. This seems like a non story. If you read Theo's quotes, he just refuses to call anyone untouchable.
I can easily see Theo trading Bryant. If Theo can maximize Bryant's value in a trade ... he'll do it. Boras is tough to deal with AND Bryant's shoulder is an issue.

Also, if the Cubs trade Bryant ... can they be setting their sights on Machado in the UFA market?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can easily see Theo trading Bryant. If Theo can maximize Bryant's value in a trade ... he'll do it. Boras is tough to deal with AND Bryant's shoulder is an issue.

Also, if the Cubs trade Bryant ... can they be setting their sights on Machado in the UFA market?

That works both ways. Teams potentially trading for Bryant know about the shoulder issue and the difficulty that will come from trying to resign him, which lowers any potential package.

Could Theo trade Bryant, sure. He could trade anyone if the price is right, which is all he said in the article. Highly doubt Bryant moves, especially this year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Why? The Sox despise Boras. Why would they trade assets for Bryant and pay $300mn+ for an extension ... when they can try to sign Machado for $300mn without trading assets and deal with Boras just that one time with Machado.

It's not like Bryant is better than Machado. While Machado might have attidue issues ... Byrant has shoulder concerns. I'd rather try to sign Machado without giving up assets.

KW does not Hahn. And there's rumors already they're making a pitch for Harper who has the same agent. For the record, I think Bryant goes nowhere as the Cubs will probably ask for the moon (and they should). But I would also find it hilarious if Hahn dangles the package he got for Q for him making it look like a straight swap in the end (although I think us Sox fans agree that Eloy goes nowhere too).

If I'm the Braves GM for example, I'd look into this. Loaded farm system, and can add to their young core with Bryant and their window.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Buster really hunting for clicks here...

"We've never operated with untouchables," he said. "It sends the wrong message. Given what we're trying to accomplish, it would be virtually impossible to envision the deal that would make sense to move them. I just don't believe in untouchables. Why limit yourself?"

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
KW does not Hahn. And there's rumors already they're making a pitch for Harper who has the same agent. For the record, I think Bryant goes nowhere as the Cubs will probably ask for the moon (and they should). But I would also find it hilarious if Hahn dangles the package he got for Q for him making it look like a straight swap in the end (although I think us Sox fans agree that Eloy goes nowhere too).

If I'm the Braves GM for example, I'd look into this. Loaded farm system, and can add to the Freeman, Albies, Acuna, Swanson, Inciarte core with Bryant and their window.
I'd actually trade Bryant if I got the right offer. Would Theo do it? Doubtful, but he's a Moneyball guy. Theo has no issues trading assets if the value is right.

This would be a Theo move ...

1. Trade Bryant for young assets.
2. Sign Machado for $300mn.

That said, all indications are the Cubs don't want to go above the luxury tax if possible.

If I was Theo ... I would package Heyward and Bryant for an elite prospect and sign Machado. I know it sounds crazy, but that Heyward's contract is a killer. Theo did this before. He traded Starling Castro to sign Ben Zobrist.

So ask yourself this ... would you trade Bryant and Heyward for Machado and Jimenez (using him as the type of elite prospect as an example)?

Harper is not a bad idea for the Sox. However, he's demanding close to $400mn. Would the Sox do it? Is it smart long term? I don't think Boras is going to give Reinsdorf a discount.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I would be legitimately shocked if the Sox went after Harper or Machado. They have a much leaner budget as they bring in far less money than the Cubs, so they can't just write off huge payrolls willy-nilly. Sure, signing either would be a bump to their gate, but a consistent enough bump to warrant that much red ink? I doubt it.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Harper is not a bad idea for the Sox. However, he's demanding close to $400mn. Would the Sox do it? Is it smart long term? I don't think Boras is going to give Reinsdorf a discount.

This is where opt out clauses come into effect. I don't know what an 82 year old Reinsdorf is thinking, but he is on record saying he wants to see another championship before he dies. I can easily see a heavily front loaded deal with a bunch of opt out clauses for the player and/or team. Would I bet the house of anything materializing? Probably not, but it isn't as fairytale-ish as it once was with a high priced FA with this organization.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I don't think the Cubs are going to give Bryant the type of money he wants when he's 31 as a UFA. Harper and Machado are much YOUNGER as UFAs.

If Theo gets the right package, you never know. There were rumors Theo liked Machado (before his WS meltdown).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad