Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVIII: Hamels & Kintzler are Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Also for all the talk there is about needing to fix baseball, the problems with the NFL... the NBA really seems to me to be on a very negative path. Sure the game is more popular than ever because of stars, but if you aren't a fan of one of a handful of teams, then what chance does your team have of winning a title? Even if you spend YEARS picking at the top of the lottery you 1. need to hit on everyone, 2. need to do it consecutively, 3. need to ensure those players develop rapidly because most of the best players in the league will leave when they hit FA.

The odds for the Warriors to win the Finals at this point must be what, less than 2 to 1? Which is INSANE.

I don't know, seems like there's real structural problems in the league from the fan perspective.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Here's my analysis of an investment. It's never a straight line up.

That said, I don't know why people are so down with Moancada. Give him some time. He's got a nice swing. The kid still has talent. Baseball is a game of regression to the mean. Getting to that mean takes times.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I get the disappointment in Moncada. People see other rookies his age or younger coming up and making an impact right away. But these things aren't linear. Just because a Benintendi is a better player at this early age - that doesn't mean Moncada won't be a better player 2-4 years from now. But when you give up a Chris Sale - people want to see a return on that and to this point, we have not seen anything close. Michael Kopech taking a bit of a step back this year, might put a bit more pressure on Moncada to justify the trade in some fan's eyes.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Or we need a better GM

The so called amazing rebuild has thus far proven to be disappointing and concerning

The Hahn honeymoon period should be over

There's definitely reasons for concern.

But the honeymoon can't be over until we see what these prospects do. Like it not, Hahn has a minimum of 2 years more on his leash, and probably more.

Again though, yeah I am disappointed this year. But since most of the setbacks are injury related, not performance related - I don't know how we can hate on Hahn with a straight face. Not yet anyway...

Reactions: DPHawk

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not saying I agree with it, but I get the disappointment in Moncada. People see other rookies his age or younger coming up and making an impact right away. But these things aren't linear. Just because a Benintendi is a better player at this early age - that doesn't mean Moncada won't be a better player 2-4 years from now. But when you give up a Chris Sale - people want to see a return on that and to this point, we have not seen anything close. Michael Kopech taking a bit of a step back this year, might put a bit more pressure on Moncada to justify the trade in some fan's eyes.
Trading Chris Sale is a different issue. It was obvious Sale didn't want to be in Chicago anymore. You rarely ever get a return to match a talent like that on an affordable / controllable contract. IMO, Sale pushed the issue. The only real negative was Sale's health. Sale's proved he is a freak of nature when it comes to arm flexibility.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Moncada always seemed like a really risky type of guy to trade Sale for. There's no denying his talent and upside, but he did seem to come with quite a bit of variance, and the Sox don't have a great history of developing guys like that.

I get he was one of the top 3 prospects in baseball, but not all top prospects are made equal. Just seemed like a risky bet to make given you were moving on from the face of the franchise.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Trading Chris Sale is a different issue. It was obvious Sale didn't want to be in Chicago anymore. You rarely ever get a return to match a talent like that on an affordable / controllable contract. IMO, Sale pushed the issue. The only real negative was Sale's health. Sale's proved he is a freak of nature when it comes to arm flexibility.

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree that Sale pushed the issue. We know he couldn't stand Kenny Williams. Hell most Sox fans can't stand KW either. But if it weren't for moving to a rebuild, I don't think he would have been traded and I think everything would have blown over.

But if you look at the alternate guys that probably would have been headlined in a Sale trade. Benintendi was on standby from his agent on whether he would be in the sale deal. I preferred Benintendi over Moncada at the time. But right now I wouldn't trade Moncada straight up for Benintendi.

Victor Robles was a rumored offer for Sale - he must be injured because he has hardly any at-bats this year. Austin Meadows - yuck. gload that didn't happen.

So I guess my point is - they probably wouldn't have gotten a better package. And that's probably why guys like Chris Sale shouldn't be traded ever.

Reactions: Easy E

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Moncada always seemed like a really risky type of guy to trade Sale for. There's no denying his talent and upside, but he did seem to come with quite a bit of variance, and the Sox don't have a great history of developing guys like that.

I get he was one of the top 3 prospects in baseball, but not all top prospects are made equal. Just seemed like a risky bet to make given you were moving on from the face of the franchise.
The way the Sox have identified their trade targets is massive upside over safety. I applaud them for that. There is a decent chance that most of the guys they traded for bust partially or completely. Moncada has a notch below Mike Trout upside, Kopech has healthy Syndergaard upside. That is why they traded for them. Benintendi is going to be a really good player for a long time, but Moncada and Kopech have best position player/pitcher in the game upside. If either reaches their ceiling it is a win for the Sox. Honestly, both their floors aren't that low either, as I don't think either will not be a major leaguer for a while. Kopech's floor is a high leverage reliever and Moncada's floor is Trevor Story. Both still valuable pieces. The potential upside is worth only getting that floor on both of them. The 3rd piece in that trade, Luis Alexander Basabe, is having a breakout season in A+/AA right now so there may be another aspect to that trade.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So I guess my point is - they probably wouldn't have gotten a better package. And that's probably why guys like Chris Sale shouldn't be traded ever.

Never should have been out of the White Sox organization. Period.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree that Sale pushed the issue. We know he couldn't stand Kenny Williams. Hell most Sox fans can't stand KW either. But if it weren't for moving to a rebuild, I don't think he would have been traded and I think everything would have blown over..

Sorry but I think the relationship was fractured beyond repair after Sale's hissy fit over the creepy Laroche child situation and then the destroying team alternate jerseys on alternate jersey day was beyond unprofessional and showed just how much of a headcase he was being

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The way the Sox have identified their trade targets is massive upside over safety. I applaud them for that. There is a decent chance that most of the guys they traded for bust partially or completely. Moncada has a notch below Mike Trout upside, Kopech has healthy Syndergaard upside. That is why they traded for them. Benintendi is going to be a really good player for a long time, but Moncada and Kopech have best position player/pitcher in the game upside. If either reaches their ceiling it is a win for the Sox. Honestly, both their floors aren't that low either, as I don't think either will not be a major leaguer for a while. Kopech's floor is a high leverage reliever and Moncada's floor is Trevor Story. Both still valuable pieces. The potential upside is worth only getting that floor on both of them. The 3rd piece in that trade, Luis Alexander Basabe, is having a breakout season in A+/AA right now so there may be another aspect to that trade.
No prospect should be compared to Trout, dude is in the running for the greatest of all time.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
It's been a tough year for the Sox rebuild. Dan Dunning seems to be out for the year with that elbow strain. Luis Robert re-injured his thumb. I thought I saw he's out at least 6 weeks again? He's looking like he's made of glass. Speaking of often injured - Eloy is hurt again...he's on the DL. Hopefully that is just a couple of weeks.

Alec Hansen was my favorite pitching prospect on the Sox, and he's been real rusty in his return after being out a few months with the soreness. It's looking like a lost year for him as well. Uggh. We need some good luck on the south side.

Sox need to find pitching. 2nd most runs allowed in all of baseball.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Is it your goal to post a hot take every single time you make a comment about the Cubs?
I don’t think saying that “Kyle can’t get out of the first inning” or “Duensing can’t get people out these past two weeks” are hot takes. Kris is an MVP caliber player, Cubs are going off offensively without him. I asked a question.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I don’t think saying that “Kyle can’t get out of the first inning” or “Duensing can’t get people out these past two weeks” are hot takes. Kris is an MVP caliber player, Cubs are going off offensively without him. I asked a question.
Ahh the old “I’m just asking a question” response. What do you think it says?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ahh the old “I’m just asking a question” response. What do you think it says?
Classic glaze over the first part that says all I do is have hot takes? I think it obviously shows he was struggling poorly in the middle of the order and it was a problem? Guy obviously wasn’t healthy the entire time.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Classic glaze over the first part that says all I do is have hot takes? I think it obviously shows he was struggling poorly in the middle of the order and it was a problem? Guy obviously wasn’t healthy the entire time.
Bullshit, it doesn’t show that at all. He’s a 132 WRC hitter, he wasn’t struggling. His power numbers are depressed a bit, but he definitely wasn’t struggling.

And it wasn’t a glaze over. I don’t feel like getting into it with you.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Without hot takes, the United States would cease to exist.

It is an interesting question. Where do you put Kris in the lineup? I guess at #3? After Heyward and before Rizzo?

The dream top 5 would be:
* Almora (right)
* Heyward (left)
* Bryant (right)
* Rizzo (left)
* Baez (right)
* Schwarber (left)
* Contreras (right)
* Russell (right)

Bench: Zobrist (switch), Happ (switch), Lastella (left)

That's a pretty powerful and versatile line up. The key is for Almora to take more walks. Baez to decrease his strikeout, and Heyward to continue to make hard contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad