Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIX: Holy Bote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I read an article on Fansided that talked about not burning a year if they're called up in September as part of the expanded rosters. Something about 172 days, minus the amount of days they spend with the team this year before they can be called up next year? IDK, I wasn't 100% understanding it all, which is why I was looking for clarification from @MurrayBannerman.
It's not enough days to burn a year. What they do is give up that extra year that they could gain from stashing him until mid-April '19.

The Sox have been very good at locking guys up to team friendly extensions, so it shouldn't be much of a worry.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it is funny how all these sports are different, in hockey, once that kid comes up for 1 game, that year is burned off his ELC....I bet a lot of baseball players would love that scenario for them..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You could put Baez at 3rd, Murphy at 2nd and platoon Schwarber and Zobrist in LF. You could also, as you said, take Russell out on some days, play Baez at SS, Murphy at 3rd.
I just don't know who we have left to trade for Murphy?? If it is true, then Happ would likely be the guy to go in some package...I can't for any reason see the Cubs moving Russell right now with his low value and a down year. He is still just a kid, can't move him period.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I just don't know who we have left to trade for Murphy?? If it is true, then Happ would likely be the guy to go in some package...I can't for any reason see the Cubs moving Russell right now with his low value and a down year. He is still just a kid, can't move him period.

Yeah, that’s the tough part but given what Murphy brings as a clutch performer and the fact he is hitting .392 over the last 30 games, they can raid our system as far as I am concerned. But yeah, I think you’re right, there’s just not much there.

The waivers issue is a problem, maybe we could do a PTBNL, does anyone know if we could work around the waivers that way and give them major league talent in the offseason?

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He is a UFA after this year, has been hurt much of the season and is a below average defender.

Look at what other rental players cost this trade deadline, the cost for Murphy would be cheap.

There's 0% chance it costs a guy like Happ.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
He is a UFA after this year, has been hurt much of the season and is a below average defender.

Look at what other rental players cost this trade deadline, the cost for Murphy would be cheap.

Right, this is insanity. Injured 34 year old thats a liability in the field with a month left on his contract....lets give up a productive 23 year old player with 5 years of team control.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

okay, maybe not Happ, but you are not getting this guy for peanuts, as CS said above, he is too good and too clutch for too many years...it is still going to cost something above average

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Right, this is insanity. Injured 34 year old thats a liability in the field with a month left on his contract....lets give up a productive 23 year old player with 5 years of team control.
I am really not the biggest Happ fan, but as I said, I need to see other trades like this over the past few years to gauge returning value...you think Happ is too much, and I think you are crazy if you think you get him for peanuts which you are basically saying...I am pretty sure it costs somewhere in between to land him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The only guy that would make sense to me, as far as a major leaguer, would be Caratini.

I’d be comfortable with Bote or Strop as long as it is as a PTBNL they receive in the offseason. If it takes less than that, all the better, but it’s not like either couldn’t be easily replaced.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
okay, maybe not Happ, but you are not getting this guy for peanuts, as CS said above, he is too good and too clutch for too many years...it is still going to cost something above average
I still don't buy that, look at what JD Martinez went for last deadline and he was having a way better year than Murphy.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I’d be comfortable with Bote or Strop as long as it is as a PTBNL they receive in the offseason. If it takes less than that, all the better, but it’s not like either couldn’t be easily replaced.
Jesus, no thank you. Especially not Strop.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I still don't buy that, look at what JD Martinez went for last deadline and he was having a way better year than Murphy.
ok, and that is what I am asking for...Martinez went for 3 prospects, two of which were top 10 in that system...pretty decent haul...but the Tigers sent him to the NL, do we think Washington is going to do us any favors here? and what prospects do we have left outside of pitching??

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He also got traded a full month earlier. Also, none of those guys he went for are outside of the quality the Cubs have in their system.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

WHAT? Strop is maybe the best reviler in Cubs history and the most important guy they have right now.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
ok, and that is what I am asking for...Martinez went for 3 prospects, two of which were top 10 in that system...pretty decent haul...but the Tigers sent him to the NL, do we think Washington is going to do us any favors here? and what prospects do we have left outside of pitching??
Going into the year last year the Diamondbacks had a bottom 5 farm system in baseball (2017 MLB Farm System Rankings), and at least in this 2017 mid-season prospect ranking, only one of the guys in the trade was in the top 20 (Arizona Diamondbacks Top 20 prospects for 2017: Mid-season review).

I'm only contesting your point that, "I just don't know who we have left to trade for Murphy??"

The Cubs have a ton of guys in their farm system that could net Murphy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
WHAT? Strop is maybe the best reviler in Cubs history and the most important guy they have right now.

I know it’s a lot but he’ll be a 34 year old reliever on a 1 year deal. They can’t have him now though. That’s just my opinion, the most I could stomach. But in my world, Kimbrel and Miller are Cubs next year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Going into the year last year the Diamondbacks had a bottom 5 farm system in baseball (2017 MLB Farm System Rankings), and at least in this 2017 mid-season prospect ranking, only one of the guys in the trade was in the top 20 (Arizona Diamondbacks Top 20 prospects for 2017: Mid-season review).

I'm only contesting your point that, "I just don't know who we have left to trade for Murphy??"

The Cubs have a ton of guys in their farm system that could net Murphy.
maybe you are right, I just do not see the quality of prospects we have left...I think we barely have 1 guy in the top 100 plus prospects...a lot of names, just none very highly regarded anymore. either way, I would love to add Murphy, just not sure what his asking price would be.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
maybe you are right, I just do not see the quality of prospects we have left...I think we barely have 1 guy in the top 100 plus prospects...a lot of names, just none very highly regarded anymore. either way, I would love to add Murphy, just not sure what his asking price would be.
I don't think we'd need a top 100 guy to get him is my only point. And yes, I'd be in favor of adding him as well.

Reactions: AmericanDream

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The DBacks system was worse than the Cubs now. They got two guys who profile as utility infielders and a rookie ball lotto ticket. The Cubs have that.

Reactions: ColdSteel2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad