Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIX: Holy Bote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The negativity about the Cubs in this thread is astonishing for a team that is #1 in the NL while missing a ton of games from their best hitter, big SP acquisition, and big RP acquisition.

If I didn’t know any better you’d have me thinking they don’t even own a wild card spot at the moment.

Reactions: AmericanDream

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Well the expectations are WS or bust. Not make the playoffs. People thinking long term. Its not being a spoiled fan. I still enjoy it when I watch, but when you have a team with this much talent, you don't want to see it wasted.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Darvish was healthy and productive, it’s unlikely we trade for Hamels. Hamels is giving you exactly what you wanted from Darvish. It’s a wash to me.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I see Daniel Murphy put on waivers and was claimed. Saw two, very unreliable people say it was the Cubs.. but two very reliable people say that he was for sure claimed and it wasn't the Yanks.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I see Daniel Murphy put on waivers and was claimed. Saw two, very unreliable people say it was the Cubs.. but two very reliable people say that he was for sure claimed and it wasn't the Yanks.
haven't seen anything on him being claimed, and being claimed doesn't mean much just first rights for negotiations in a trade...these guys have to be traded still regardless of claimed.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The negativity about the Cubs in this thread is astonishing for a team that is #1 in the NL while missing a ton of games from their best hitter, big SP acquisition, and big RP acquisition.

If I didn’t know any better you’d have me thinking they don’t even own a wild card spot at the moment.

To be fair, they’ve had like the worst offense in the NL since the all-star break. I mean, they’re finding ways to win, which is what good teams do. But it’s difficult to see a whole lot of success in the playoffs with that recipe. Luckily, though, there is time for things to change.. and the NL really doesn’t have any powerhouses, so anything is possible on that side.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
To be fair, they’ve had like the worst offense in the NL since the all-star break. I mean, they’re finding ways to win, which is what good teams do. But it’s difficult to see a whole lot of success in the playoffs with that recipe. Luckily, though, there is time for things to change.. and the NL really doesn’t have any powerhouses, so anything is possible on that side.
actually, these have pretty much been playoff baseball...low scoring games in cold weather. if we can win these now, we can win in October!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
actually, these have pretty much been playoff baseball...low scoring games in cold weather. if we can win these now, we can win in October!

The Pitt series.. yes. But the starting pitching has also been very inconsistent. Just been a weird year. Never seen to get the offense and the pitching clicking at the same time.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Alright, so heading into an eight game stretch against the Tigers, Reds, and Mets, the Cubs will have a 3-game lead over the Brewers and 3.5-game lead over the Cardinals. Better get their shit together on this series and take advantage of it, especially with six of those games being at home, because it’s going to get a lot more difficult after that stretch.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie

Arizona: Nick Ahmed
CHC: Baez, Zobrist, Happ, and to a degree Bote
Phillies: Hernandez, Kingery, and newly acquire Cabrera
Milwaukee: Shoop, and Shaw (< 2b in name only)
St. Louis: Gyorko and Wong
L.A.D.: Dozier
Colorado: D.J. LeMahieu.

NL teams would have first crack at Murphy. Based on NL contenders and their need, I would assume Arizona would have the biggest need for help at 2B. If it was indeed the Cubs who put a claim on him, then that would be a weird fit. It would mean the Cubs are serious about moving Russell out of the starting line up and putting Baez at SS. But they could have done that without putting a claim on Murphy, seeing as they have Happ, Zobrist and La Stella who could all play 2B.

If it is the Cubs who put the claim in, and if they indeed get Murphy, this would be one of the weirdest transactions in a while. Not because Murphy is not a perfectly useful player but because of fit. I'd take him on the Cubs, but with rumors of Darvish being done in 2018 (and may be in MLB because they are rumors that Darvish is contemplating retiring from MLB and moving back to Japan), you would think SP would be a priority.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Got to watch the Brewers & Cards tonight. Forgot what scoring more than one run a game looks like. Hopefully the Cubs figure that out soon.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

NL teams would have first crack at Murphy. Based on NL contenders and their need, I would assume Arizona would have the biggest need for help at 2B. If it was indeed the Cubs who put a claim on him, then that would be a weird fit. It would mean the Cubs are serious about moving Russell out of the starting line up and putting Baez at SS. But they could have done that without putting a claim on Murphy, seeing as they have Happ, Zobrist and La Stella who could all play 2B.

If it is the Cubs who put the claim in, and if they indeed get Murphy, this would be one of the weirdest transactions in a while. Not because Murphy is not a perfectly useful player but because of fit. I'd take him on the Cubs, but with rumors of Darvish being done in 2018 (and may be in MLB because they are rumors that Darvish is contemplating retiring from MLB and moving back to Japan), you would think SP would be a priority.

Trade Russell and Happ for Murphy and pitching help

DONE!!!

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

And the Houston Astros have a +197 run differential, 2nd highest in all baseball. What do you think would happen if the playoffs started tomorrow??!!??....one and done baby.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
And the Houston Astros have a +197 run differential, 2nd highest in all baseball. What do you think would happen if the playoffs started tomorrow??!!??....one and done baby.

Anything can happen in the MLB playoffs. Wild card teams have won it all before. I bet the run differential between them and the #1 seed was greater what separates the Cubs and Astros or Red Sox run differential.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

You could put Baez at 3rd, Murphy at 2nd and platoon Schwarber and Zobrist in LF. You could also, as you said, take Russell out on some days, play Baez at SS, Murphy at 3rd.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Wasn't this a dumbass mistake on Hahn's part? He's burning an entire year for a single start... If he had just waited 11 days for the September call-ups, he wouldn't have burned that year, no?

Pretty sure that would burn a year. They'd have to hold him back a few weeks in to next season to save a season of control.

I'm fine with Kopech getting the call. With how risky arms are, I would bet the Sox will get him to bite on one of them longterm deals. Where Eloy probably won't ever sign a team friendly extension like that, thus he probably waits til mid or late April next year to debut.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Pretty sure that would burn a year. They'd have to hold him back a few weeks in to next season to save a season of control.

I'm fine with Kopech getting the call. With how risky arms are, I would bet the Sox will get him to bite on one of them longterm deals. Where Eloy probably won't ever sign a team friendly extension like that, thus he probably waits til mid or late April next year to debut.

I read an article on Fansided that talked about not burning a year if they're called up in September as part of the expanded rosters. Something about 172 days, minus the amount of days they spend with the team this year before they can be called up next year? IDK, I wasn't 100% understanding it all, which is why I was looking for clarification from @MurrayBannerman.

Reactions: Sarava

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You don't burn a year simply by coming up. Service time is accrued on a daily basis.
Right, that's what I was getting at. So next year, they will have to wait to bring them up until later on in the year or risk burning a year, no? If they waited longer this year, it would be earlier next year, without burning the year, and their first year would be in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad