Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIX: Holy Bote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think that a damn high note is as good of a place as any to start a new topic. Moving the celebration posts to a new topic.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My Nats friends just threw in the towel for the season. That was soul crushing.

Most important from all this: Cole Hammel looks like a keeper. Let's hope Darvish gets his act together. You can do well in the post season with Hammel, Darvish (healthy), and Lester (he's just a bulldog in the playoffs). And Hendrix as the #4 would be a good matchup. Quintana can help in the pen against lefties.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
My Nats friends just threw in the towel for the season. That was soul crushing.

Most important from all this: Cole Hammel looks like a keeper. Let's hope Darvish gets his act together. You can do well in the post season with Hammel, Darvish (healthy), and Lester (he's just a bulldog in the playoffs). And Hendrix as the #4 would be a good matchup. Quintana can help in the pen against lefties.

When did the Cubs trade for Jason Hammel and why is he replacing Cole Hamels? :)

To me I think Hamels was bored in TX and that playing for a contender has rejuvenated him. I don't think he'll go on a Verlander run of last year, but it would not surprise me if he keeps his ERA are mid 3 for the rest of the year.

Get Morrow, Darvish and Bryant back and healthy and flip that switch.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They want to keep Harper and think they can. I'm not sure how you do that, by selling just prior to his free agency. I'm not saying it's the right move, but I get why they did it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Plenty of players have been traded only to sign back with team

Hell as a player I would love to finish final months on a contender and then hit FA to return to city I wanted to stay in originally

Its a win , win , win for all sides

Nats get assets and get him back
He plays for contender and goes back to DC
Contender gets him for run

They have other FA's who carry value as well

Guys like SP Gio Gonzalez and 2B Daniel Murphy would have garnered interest and assets (Especially Gio)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Nats are only 5.5 GB in the NL East and half of their remaining games are against the Marlins and Mets. They’ll be in it to the end. They did right not selling. The bullpen just needs to get healthy.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Plenty of players have been traded only to sign back with team

Hell as a player I would love to finish final months on a contender and then hit FA to return to city I wanted to stay in originally

Its a win , win , win for all sides

Nats get assets and get him back
He plays for contender and goes back to DC
Contender gets him for run

They have other FA's who carry value as well

Guys like SP Gio Gonzalez and 2B Daniel Murphy would have garnered interest and assets (Especially Gio)

You are assuming that he would be totally fine being dealt based on zero evidence to support that, which I get is kind of your thing, but this is the face of the franchise, not some depth player. If he is considering signing a 10 year monster deal with the Nats, I would have to believe he likes the thought of playing for 1 team.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They want to keep Harper and think they can. I'm not sure how you do that, by selling just prior to his free agency. I'm not saying it's the right move, but I get why they did it.
Who's going to pay for Harper?

* Cubs will only go after Bryce if they can trade Heyward's contract. Not happening.
* Yankees have Stanton and Judge.
* Dodgers will try to resign Machado.
* Mets are a small market team due to Madoff.
* SF is rebuilding.
* STL doesn't pay mega money for one player.
* Houston doesn't really have the money or need for Harper.

That leaves Texas, Anaheim, and Seattle. I dont see them paying.

Harper might sign a shorter deal with the Nats with a player option to get back in the market.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Who's going to pay for Harper?

* Cubs will only go after Bryce if they can trade Heyward's contract. Not happening.
* Yankees have Stanton and Judge.
* Dodgers will try to resign Machado.
* Mets are a small market team due to Madoff.
* SF is rebuilding.
* STL doesn't pay mega money for one player.
* Houston doesn't really have the money or need for Harper.

That leaves Texas, Anaheim, and Seattle. I dont see them paying.

Harper might sign a shorter deal with the Nats with a player option to get back in the market.
That one is super interesting.

Also, I think you're understating Houston's potential and SF's mindset(they're always trying to win, like the Sox of old). Also, I don't think Machado is going to stay with Turner and Seager there.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Yep, Cubs outfield is crowded, little to no chance Harper signs here and Boras being his agent will start at 6 years at 25-30 million a year.

Heyward has a player option to opt out after 2018, don't see that happening.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Cubs don’t need Harper and he is too inconsistent season to season.

.330 to .243 to .319 to .236 (currently)

Only broke 30 home runs once.

He’s a nice player but not at that top tier level he wants to be paid.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The Cubs don’t need Harper and he is too inconsistent season to season.

.330 to .243 to .319 to .236 (currently)

Only broke 30 home runs once.

He’s a nice player but not at that top tier level he wants to be paid.
He had 29 last year in 111 games and has 28 right now. He's not even 26 yet and still had a season that no Cub has ever even come close to having.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That one is super interesting.

Also, I think you're understating Houston's potential and SF's mindset(they're always trying to win, like the Sox of old). Also, I don't think Machado is going to stay with Turner and Seager there.
Houston is bizarre. It's a big market city with mid market sports funds. It's always been that way. Heck, the Oilers moved out for Nashville. The Astros are similar. Suprisingly, it wasn't the Dream who took the Rockets to the next level ... it was Yao who made them prominent internationally. Don't overrate Houston as a PROFESSIONAL sports town.

San Francisco is a wildcard. You are correct that they are always trying to win. However, not even Harper is going to fix that mess for now. Lots of injuries. Lots of bloated contracts.

LA is interesting with Seager. Turner can easily play in the outfield. However, Machado wants to play SS. I can easily see Seager movie to 2B due to his serious shoulder injury. I think Machado is still in play for LA as long as their financials work out.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Houston is bizarre. It's a big market city with mid market sports funds. It's always been that way. Heck, the Oilers moved out for Nashville. The Astros are similar. Suprisingly, it wasn't the Dream who took the Rockets to the next level ... it was Yao who made them prominent internationally. Don't overrate Houston as a PROFESSIONAL sports town.

San Francisco is a wildcard. You are correct that they are always trying to win. However, not even Harper is going to fix that mess for now. Lots of injuries. Lots of bloated contracts.

LA is interesting with Seager. Turner can easily play in the outfield. However, Machado wants to play SS. I can easily see Seager movie to 2B due to his serious shoulder injury. I think Machado is still in play for LA as long as their financials work out.
Crane has that oil money. If they lose out on the division and lose in the Wild Card game or the Divisonal Round, I think you'll see him open the check books.

Whether or not he's going to fix everything doesn't change that they don't necessarily believe you need to rebuild to be competitive.

I don't thing Seager can handle the footwork at 2B. It's a very awkward position. The move for him was always 3B because he's a big boy. If anything, the sensible move would be to move Turner back to 2B, but it's hard to justify moving him off 3rd.

At the end of the day, He's going to be 26 and has one of the best seasons in the past 20 years under his belt. He's gonna get paid.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Crane has that oil money. If they lose out on the division and lose in the Wild Card game or the Divisonal Round, I think you'll see him open the check books.

Whether or not he's going to fix everything doesn't change that they don't necessarily believe you need to rebuild to be competitive.

I don't thing Seager can handle the footwork at 2B. It's a very awkward position. The move for him was always 3B because he's a big boy. If anything, the sensible move would be to move Turner back to 2B, but it's hard to justify moving him off 3rd.

At the end of the day, He's going to be 26 and has one of the best seasons in the past 20 years under his belt. He's gonna get paid.
Interesting about Seager. I didn't know Turner can play 2B. Shows you how much I've been following baseball the last 15 years.

Yeah ... Houston is interesting. I'm curious if they start spending like a big market team. I guess if Texas (Dallas) can, so could Houston.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He had 29 last year in 111 games and has 28 right now. He's not even 26 yet and still had a season that no Cub has ever even come close to having.

Yeah, we saw his top end potential and it was amazing. The difference is Trout and prime Cabrera bring it every year. I just don’t see him in that tier and wouldn’t want to pay that kind of money for the potential he plays he at that level. And specifically to the Cubs, they have plenty of offense but could use more pitching help.

I could see an argument where maybe if he was on a team like the Cubs, he would have less pressure on him and be able to be more consistent but unfortunately we would have to pay first and find out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad