OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LI: Sox get Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not trading Q was mistake

His value has diminished sadly and if he doesn't recover his value will continue to diminish

This is why people like me who advocated pulling trigger on a Pittsburgh deal will most likely be proven right. Holding onto a SP when trade value is at its peak is never smart because they are most risky to regress in performance or get injured and never regain value

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

His value has diminished sadly and if he doesn't recover his value will continue to diminish

This is why people like me who advocated pulling trigger on a Pittsburgh deal will most likely be proven right. Holding onto a SP when trade value is at its peak is never smart because they are most risky to regress in performance or get injured and never regain value

Ok, you know what the alleged return from Pittsburgh was, right? They weren't offering Meadows or Bell.

Tyler Glasnow: 2-5, 6.97 ERA, 1.87 WHIP (29 walks in 50.1 innings!!!!)
Kevin Newman: .245 BA, little power (2 HR's).....641 OPS....this is in AA. He has regressed as well.

Yeah no thanks. Even with Q's horrid year, I'll still pass on that deal.

Q is going to serve the Sox well again. I don't know in what capacity or when. Maybe it will be a in a trade. Maybe this whole thing works out in a funny way where he stays and is our #2 when the team is a competitive again in a few years? We might look back and be thankful he fell apart early in the 2017 season? They absolutely should not sell low on him. Just suck it up and know that he will be here the rest of the year and probably in to next year.

In the end - I think the market for team's with high-end prospects that were willing to move them was tapped out. The Cubs blew their wad on Chapman, the Tribe on Miller, the Nats on Eaton, the Red Sox on Sale...nobody else wanted to part with those caliber of prospects. I don't think they really had much of a choice. They needed the market to re-sort itself, and unfortunately Q went to hell in the meantime. He'll be back. Have some patience.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

to move Q or not, the need for a pitcher like Q is more on pitt. re: the sox keeping Q, is not hurting the sox, regardless his record. now look at other teams who needed to make a trade for Q and didn't, they, like pitt would be doing much better w/Q.

it is late so maybe i am rambling but the point is, if the other team needs to solidify their starting pen, then pony up.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
In the end - I think the market for team's with high-end prospects that were willing to move them was tapped out. The Cubs blew their wad on Chapman, the Tribe on Miller, the Nats on Eaton, the Red Sox on Sale...nobody else wanted to part with those caliber of prospects. I don't think they really had much of a choice. They needed the market to re-sort itself, and unfortunately Q went to hell in the meantime. He'll be back. Have some patience.

Uh....no they didn't. Torres for Chapman (the other three players were throw-ins and you can't convince me otherwise) as the Cubs "blowing their wads." :laugh: Indians gave up more for Miller than the Cubs gave up for Chapman and it's not even close.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Uh....no they didn't. Torres for Chapman (the other three players were throw-ins and you can't convince me otherwise) as the Cubs "blowing their wads." :laugh: Indians gave up more for Miller than the Cubs gave up for Chapman and it's not even close.

The other players don't matter when one of them is the #2 prospect in baseball as Torres now is. Of course, he has risen in ranks significantly since the trade was made, so that's looking at in hindsight a bit.

And the Cubs do have more assets to move, so their whole 'wad' isn't blown, but they spent what they were going to spend at the time - which was the point of my post.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
to move Q or not, the need for a pitcher like Q is more on pitt. re: the sox keeping Q, is not hurting the sox, regardless his record. now look at other teams who needed to make a trade for Q and didn't, they, like pitt would be doing much better w/Q.

it is late so maybe i am rambling but the point is, if the other team needs to solidify their starting pen, then pony up.

It depends If Q was going to have a 5.6 ERA. If so he wouldn't of helped any team. The extra pressure and focus on him since the Sale trade probably hasn't helped him. He used to just quietly sit there in the background while Chris Sale took all the pressure and attention. Now he not only is the #1 on this team, but he's also had crazy trade rumors swirling for the last 7 months. It's an unfair situation he's been put in.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Leave it to you to completely miss the point.

He wasn't saying that they're out of great prospects, he's saying that they made the 1 deal they were willing to do, and therefore wouldn't be after Q.

Teams are very reluctant to move top prospects, as they'd rather have the years of control, and there area number of them that are probably done doing so for now. That's all he was saying.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
DBmpmIWWsAEa6FM.jpg

Brian Bilek‏@BrianBilek_
Giolito has made plenty of progress over his last 5 starts/28 innings.
ERA: 2.57
WHIP: 1.14
K/9: 8.36
BB/9: 2.89
2 HR allowed

Starting to come around

savebyrichter35

May 22, 2008
Hello All!

Coming into town from NYC for the first time this Thursday-Sunday for a bachelor party. I've got two extra tickets for the Cubs/Rockies game on Friday afternoon in section 515 row 9. How is the resale market? I'm just looking to get back what I paid for them ($50 each) but I haven't been able to move them on Stubhub.

If anyone here is interested, I'd be willing to part with them for $40 each. I have PayPal, Chase QuickPay and Venmo. Best way to reach me is email: [email protected]

Additionally, we've got pretty much the whole weekend planned out but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Thursday is booked up, planning on spending all day in Wrigleyville Friday (though that could change), and right now we may have some extra time during the day on Saturday. We've got some time to kill on Thursday between landing and our check-in, so we're open to exploring some good deep dish pizza anywhere between the airport and Elmwood Park (where we're staying). We will have a car so transportation won't be much of an issue.

Thanks!

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It depends If Q was going to have a 5.6 ERA. If so he wouldn't of helped any team. The extra pressure and focus on him since the Sale trade probably hasn't helped him. He used to just quietly sit there in the background while Chris Sale took all the pressure and attention. Now he not only is the #1 on this team, but he's also had crazy trade rumors swirling for the last 7 months. It's an unfair situation he's been put in.

Realistically, he can have a down year and still hold his value. But, it can't be THIS down. Chris Archer and Sonny Gray kind of set a boundary, though Gray's value has kind of dipped.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It helps that so many traditionally good pitchers have had down years this year, especially ones who will hit the market this offseason. Cueto and Tanaka might not opt out. Arrieta has kind of turned a corner, but wants insane sums of money.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

you make a solid point. but Q this yr, is the by-product of the team playing behind him. put Q in a better position, he will do better.

well, that is my 2 cents worth. :yo:

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
you make a solid point. but Q this yr, is the by-product of the team playing behind him. put Q in a better position, he will do better.

well, that is my 2 cents worth. :yo:

He's been pitching bad and has had bad luck. There's no reason to think he won't improve, but it's more of a how much thing.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
He's been pitching bad and has had bad luck. There's no reason to think he won't improve, but it's more of a how much thing.

Yeah...I think early on in the season it was more bad luck than anything, Lately he's just getting crushed. He's leaving his pitches up.

It's time for Don Cooper to work his magic and get this fixed. I would assume that it's probably a mental thing at this point?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah...I think early on in the season it was more bad luck than anything, Lately he's just getting crushed. He's leaving his pitches up.

It's time for Don Cooper to work his magic and get this fixed. I would assume that it's probably a mental thing at this point?

It's weird. I have no idea. The results are different, ie more dingers and walks, but I don't totally have an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad